Help me pick a color for my rims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been wanting to powder coat my rims for awhile now. Im thinking gloss white or gloss black. Heres a factory pic of my car, mine looks the same in every way and same rims.

03091DE1-1642-4B74-8B8D-57862871CD49.jpeg

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Leave it alone, imho

This. The sock wheels on those care are beautiful.

IMHO, certainly not white, and probably not black either. Maybe a darker metallic grey? I'd play around on the tire rack wheel app and see how dark grey looks. Is the grill grey, maybe match that?
If you've got time to kill, maybe brush/polish the lip and clear coat it. I like the look of brushed aluminum.

White was a brief thing in the '80s, and to my eye it never really settled. It passed like a fad after something like 3 years.

Black is in vogue right now. I used to love the look because it looked more industrial and "bad" in 80's slang. In my circles, it came about as the look run for a rally or rallycross course where folks ran steelies out of need. But it doesn't work on everything. To my eye a clean unmodified car with black wheels /risks/ looking fake, whereas a lowered/lifted/modified vehicle with black wheels fits better.

I'll second the "go to tire rack" and play suggestion.

Oh, one more point - oem rims, recolored, look like recolored oem wheels. It doesn't work. I did it and was not impressed after I got over the "look what I did" thing. If you want a different look, IMO just saving up and buying aftermarket wheels is the way to go. Or better yet, invest in a different mod with more functional purpose. Or save for retirement. "The truth about cars" boards are full of stats today about the poor state of American's financial savings.

-m

Everybody runs black nowadays so skip it. You know someone rashed their wheels if you see matte-black plasti-dip.

How about bronze? Or, how about one spoke per wheel painted a different color? It would be unique.

Gunmetal Gray. I'd find it in sprayable vinyl first, like AutoDip. If you decide you don't like it after some time - just peel it off and move on to the next color.

P.S. But I am on the "leave it alone" team. Stock silver complements the car paint nicely.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
What is this going to gain you? Cover curb rash? Get you 2 MPG better mileage covering them with 0W-20 may be more help in that sense.

So you've never done anything to a car for looks? It's going to gain him a little personalization, nothing wrong with that.

Not white and not glossy anything. Flat black screams low rent Plastidip. A darker grey or graphite or bronze would probably be OK.

Another choice is a different OEM wheel. Don't know if there's a take-off wheel market on Cruze wheels but it's another choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back