Lost Excel and Winword After Windows Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Trav
Sorry, I missed that, this is for 10. It made me crazy for some time with some programs not opening,

Thanks for the help anyway. I doh't think it's anything to do with my security or antivirus, etc programs. Nothing was changed except those 3 Windows Updates were installed and this problem showed up instantly.

I guess I'll see if Microsoft has a fix in a day or two, and if not I'll probably just do a Restore back to the point right before the updates that caused this were installed.

Still would like to know if just Uninstalling each update manually one at a time is a better way to go ... anyone know ???

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Where did you originally get Office 2013? If it was a disc, can you just reinstall it?

I've got an installation disk. But doing the full blown Repair looks like it's basically a fresh install & update.

I really don't think it's an Office 2013 issue since some of the programs like Access and Publisher do open up and work.

Guess I need to manually delete the updates and see what happens. Wish someone would respond on if that's a safe thing to do, or is using the Restore point a safer way to go?

Update on trying to resolve this. I tried to reinstall Office 2013 from the backup disk and that didn't help.

So I disabled my Malwarebytes Premium and Bitdefender Free, and that did allow Excel, Word and PowerPoint did start working. I enabled Bitdefender Free and they did not work and I got the same error messages as before. So it looks like it's a Bitdefender Free issue, and apparently it's not compatible anymore after the latest Windows Updates were installed.

I sent a message to Bitdefender Tech to let them know ... maybe they will try to push a fix out. If not, I guess it's time to look for another real time free anti-virus program ... or pay for a good full blown one.

Around Thanksgiving (Black Friday) Newegg will have deals for ESET and other antivirus steeply discounted. ESET has never let me down or caused an issue. Bitdefender yes.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Around Thanksgiving (Black Friday) Newegg will have deals for ESET and other antivirus steeply discounted. ESET has never let me down or caused an issue. Bitdefender yes.

Thanks for the tip ... I'll look for that. A year or two ago I picked up Malwarebytes Premium (the full blow, real time protection version) for $15 with a lifetime license (no annual payments, just the initial $15 to purchase the disc).

Forgot to mention, when I reinstalled Office 2013 from the backup DVD, I didn't uninstall Office first. I put the DVD in the drive to just see what was on the disc and was going to uninstall before proceeding with a re-installation, But when I simply clicked on it to open the disc, it started the installation. So I just let it finish and it seemed to do the install fine with no error messages and it seems to be working fine. I wasn't sure what it was going to do without uninstalling Office first, but seemed to work out fine. The version on the DVD was pretty old version, so after it installed I just did an Office update which worked with not issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back