Hydraulic Nut Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a good deal on a very good quality hydraulic nut splitter, it is sold by Sykes Pickervant but from what I found out its made in Germany by Gedore or Bahco.
It takes very little wrench pressure to generate 5 tons of cutting force and has a angle head making it easier to work with.
This is a very useful tool for guys with no torches or for use in places where you wouldn't want to use one, it will work with flange nut, it may not split the flange but the amount of threads in the flange will not hold the nut tight as if all the threads were rusted tight.

This is the company I bought it from it cost 56 pounds with no VAT, they initially want 21 pounds shipping DHL but if you call them they will ship it for 15 but it takes a few weeks. Either way its under $110 which is dirt cheap for this quality and type of tool.

https://primetools.co.uk/product/sykes-pickavant-031600v2-hydraulic-nut-splitter/

Edit: The Allen key in the picture is not included or needed, it was used on a previous model.

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

Last edited:
Very cool. I didn't know such a tool existed. I take it the hex bolt end pushes against a spring loaded piston?

Last edited:
The bolt pushes a hydraulic piston that generates 5 tons of force, the cutter rotates so you can use the tool at an angle if need be.
The mechanical ones are much more common in the US but are a pain to use, they like to turn off the nut and need a lot of force on a higher grade nut, This takes very little force the hydraulic does the work.

A tool of this type and quality can cost hundreds and is not common. IIRC I paid over $200 for the Hazet more than 25 years ago, The quality on this tool seems to be just as good, its built like a tank.

That seems like a very cool tool to have.

The real question is, though...

Best hydraulic fluid and change interval?

Going by my old one It uses grease not a liquid. AFAIK there is no interval.

This will crack nuts up to 7/8 inch or 22 mm.

A great looking tool. I know Hazet is a good tool too. And I can see a pro needing something like this. I don't own one, I'm a hacker. I spent 8 hrs hacking off 3 loose wheel studs on the Rat. I found that drilling a 1/8 hole in the face of the nut then whacking the snot out it with a chisel worked best. Sometimes a Dremel with a cut off wheel. All are way slower and messier than this tool.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back