Windows Update Reversal Methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
So if Windows Updates caused computer issues, would it be better to recover by running the latest "Restore" point that was created by Windows before the offending updates were installed, or would it be better to manually uninstall the Windows updates through the "Uninstall an Update" page in Control Panel?

I think rolling it back from the restore point would be better, then stop it from doing updates. I have my doubts about uninstalling them, I have a feeling junk would remain in the Registry. Maybe one of the Windows experts can chime in.

The last windows fiasco would not allow me to restore from the Windows restore point option. Three attempts failed.
I just reloaded the OS using Windows option and kept my old files. I just had to reload a few things but it really improved the computer.
Good Luck!

I would not hesitate to uninstall. M$ updates have always backed out nicely for me and if you know the specific KB# you can even use cmd line to do it. I disable restore points on all my PC's and i admin hundreds of them. Restore is useless when things unravel especially when due to malware

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
I would not hesitate to uninstall. M$ updates have always backed out nicely for me and if you know the specific KB# you can even use cmd line to do it. I disable restore points on all my PC's and i admin hundreds of them. Restore is useless when things unravel especially when due to malware

Can you tell me how you would use the command line with the KB# to uninstall the update? How is that different from just going to the list of installed updates and choosing to uninstall them?

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I think rolling it back from the restore point would be better, then stop it from doing updates. I have my doubts about uninstalling them, I have a feeling junk would remain in the Registry. Maybe one of the Windows experts can chime in.

That's what I was thinking too ... but not sure, so I posted this thread to get some inputs about it. I don't let Windows Updates happen automatically, but have it set to show me the updates and then I can choose which ones to install.

I know just enough to be dangerous.
frown.gif

I am curious about the command line uninstall procedure and if it is better.

I run a virtual environment, so I would just revert the snapshot. Takes two seconds.

If you want to use windows tools you can roll back to previous restore point, or remove individual updates using windows update.

There is probably some command line or powershell that can remove updates, but that should be the same effect as the gui.

On a home computer I don't see anything good coming from shutting security updates off. I only do this on some production servers when I need to be very picky about what updates go on to it, and make sure they are vetted.

Windows used to have an approval mode on the client side, i think it was download but do not install unless you approve.

I tried the "System Restore", but got a message that it couldn't do the Restore - maybe because anit-virus programs were running. See below.

I later figured out that my Bitdefender Free was the culprit for messing up the functionality of Office 2013 (couldn't open Excel, Word or PowerPoint). Disabling Bitdefender allowed Office to function normally again.

I hate computers !!
grin2.gif

System Restore Failure Message.JPG

Originally Posted by Garak
Z, have you ever tried any of the open source alternatives, out of curiosity?

When my computer was really honked up a couple years ago, I tried "Precise Puppy Linux" booted off a CD-ROM. Worked fine for internet from what I recall, but pretty limited otherwise. I use programs like Excel and Word a lot, so it would be hard not to be a Windows Zombie for me.

You might be surprised with what you could accomplish with LibreOffice or OpenOffice. I use Libre at home, Open at the office, and I've used MS Office before. I didn't have huge issues getting used to the open source versions at all. Open and Libre are both available in Windows should you choose to try them. They will open up the MS Office files and can save to them when needed. I do up a fair number of spreadsheets that end up getting used in MS Office, and I just save them to that format. If they're only for me, I save them in the LibreOffice/OpenOffice format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back