SIMPLE PROGRAM TO STOP WINDOWS 10 AUTO UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had MS tech support do it 5 different times over the course of a year or more. The jury is still out whether or not the update was killed permanently.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I thought you could just turn it off in windows?

Nope, no matter what you are told, you can not turn off Windows 10 auto update permanently if you have the home addition.
This has been well known since Windows 10 release and easy to confirm with Microsoft themselves.

Here it is right from the horses mouth ... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-10/c9dd6c34-733a-445c-8fc1-8188a5db3bd2

The neat little application I posted above allows you to turn it off ... https://www.novirusthanks.org/products/win-update-stop/

Last edited:
I kept STOP-ing the process and service in Task Manager until it didn't come back.
It was KILLING my new PC using 50%+ of CPU constantly,

IIRC its name is: waupdt or similar.
Just sort TM process list by Name, Alpha to Zed

Last edited:
I missed seeing the infamous Conor McGregor defeat and riot on UFC last Saturday night because I was going to watch it live for free on an Irish betting website, but the Windows 10 update ran (and failed) at 10 PM right before UFC started. Talk about maddening. It did not correct itself until the next morning.

I'm running home edition and running Bitdefender for A.V. and mine doesn't re-activate itself. Perhaps other AV's or computers running Microsoft Security Essentials are why it's turning itself back on?

Originally Posted by wdn
I missed seeing the infamous Conor McGregor defeat and riot on UFC last Saturday night because I was going to watch it live for free on an Irish betting website, but the Windows 10 update ran (and failed) at 10 PM right before UFC started. Talk about maddening. It did not correct itself until the next morning.

The old saying goes, do not put all your eggs in one basket.

I turned off Windows Update on this computer. It is called Ubuntu.
smile.gif

I have Windows 10 Home in an Optiplex 760. Actually runs good and pretty fast, but I am not going to depend on it. It is my Canary in the Coal Mine. It is nice for some work stuff and printing, but do not depend on it for everything. I have a family member that does depend on Windows alone so trying to figure out a strategy after 7 is not supported.

I like this programs that allows you to control Windows Update and other things. So far no negative effects. My ESET does not have a problem with it.

O&O ShutUp10

The problem is all the extra programs I installed were removed or needed to be reset after Windows 10 Pro was reinstalled on another machine. Just updating did not cause as many issues on my Windows 10 Home machine.

From MSTS:

To turn off the Windows Update feature, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

Locate the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options.
Right-click Image File Execution Options, point to New, and then click Key.

Type wupdmgr.exe to name the new subkey.

Right-click wupdmgr.exe, point to New, and then click String Value.

Type Debugger to name the new string value.

Double-click Debugger, type ntsd -- in the Value date box, and then click OK

Although, I did have them kill it two or 3 additional times after this procedure.

There is probably a service that runs windows update that you can disable, that may be easier than messing with system registry. It may be bits or something like that.

NetLimiter 4.0.38.0

"NetLimiter is an ultimate internet traffic control and monitoring tool designed for Windows. You can use NetLimiter to set download/upload transfer rate limits for applications or even single connection and monitor their internet traffic."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back