Traditional Tool Making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y_K

The video is in Japanese, captions are in Chinese, but you will understand and enjoy.

The saw blades are fully hand set by skilled craftsmen and there is an equal need for many skilled craftsmen to re-set the blades. The number of people who do it today is so small, just enough to keep the tradition afloat, and to fulfill the requirements for restorations of certain national treasures, like Shinto shrines, Buddhist temples, castles, pagodas, etc. He doesn't have a student to pass the skill to..

On mass production side of the tool making there, Keiba brand of nippers, long nose and regular pliers is close to tradition: they don't anneal their steal on conveyor belt, most operations are done by hand, and even sides are polished as if they were making a surgical instrument.

Very cool, i didn't know you could shave steel like that by hand? I have a Silky Zubat pull saw with a similar tooth pattern and its stayed quite sharp for quite a while now. Kind of expensive as its made in Japan but has turned out to be worth it.

I just imagine a guy spending his whole working life doing that and suddenly realizing in retirement that he had made maybe a dozen saws total...
;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back