2 Stroke Weedeater keeps stalling/ runs only when 1/2 Choked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope someone can help with this problem.

I have a few year old homelite weedeater that keeps stalling..it just started today. I'm guessing it's running too lean when I open up the choke, but I can't imagine why.

It will now only run in the mid-level choke position and runs at about 3/4 of normal high rpm.

Off and on it will stall or just about stall. If I turn the choke to full open/run position it will die instantly. The gas/oil mix is correct at 32:1 and is only about 1 month old.

I pulled the spark plug and it has a nice tan color and isn't fouled.

The pick-up screen in the gas tank is perfectly clean.

I'm not sure what's going on here, can anyone give me any ideas?

UPDATE:

Well here I was going on and on thinking it couldn't be the fuel.

It occurred to me that this weedeater was running like my dad's old 9 horse outboard did when it had old gas.

Anyhow, I put some gas I mixed up for my Stihl chainsaw in it (50:1 mix) fresh stihl 2 stroke oil (but the gas came from the same pump as the weedeater gas). Anyhow, it fired right up and is running like a top.

The 2 stroke oil I used to mix with the weedeater gas could have been as much as 7 years old, and that's the only thing I can think of that would have caused this.

So this leaves 2 questions:
1. Is running the weedeater on 50:1 for a tank going to be a problem for a weedeater that specs 32:1?

2. Does 2 stroke mix oil go bad? It seems like it might have in my case...

Jim, you do what you think best as to 32:1...

But I abandoned that idea many years ago
when Amsoil came out with 100-to-1 synthetic...

That's what I've used in Homelite, Poulan, and
Echo ever since, no worries, ever !

Dump out the fuel in the tank and mix some fresh at 32:1. From experience from friends as well as myself, you can run a little lean on oil(40:1 say) after the engine is broke in.
The gas can go bad, the oil? maybe not.
I have started my lawnboy, and it ran OK on the gas left in from the previous fall.

There is no point to using a leaner oil to gas ratio than specified. If it says use 32:1, then why not use it. I doubt a tank full will ruin it, but the reason Stihl started using 50:1 is because of the EPA, not for increased engine life or anything.

What brand oil are you using?
Make sure the exhaust spark arrestor screen is clean if you have one.
2 stroke oil does go bad. There was a thread about it here. Maybe try searching I cant remember the time frame.

Jim, if that was my weedeater:
1. I'd buy some fresh 2-cycle oil. The old stuff might be fine, but I'd get new oil anyway, "just in case".
2. I'd mix it at the specified ratio. Maybe add a few drops of fresh 2-c oil to your present tank of 50:1 mix.
3. Use fuel stabilizer in *all* gas used an any small engines, whether 2 stroke or 4 stroke.
4. *Never*, repeat *Never*, use last years mixed gas in any 2-cycle engine. I know lots of people do- but don't do it anyway. I know some brands claim to keep gas "good" for 2 yrs- the advice still holds. To use up last years leftover 2-c gas, add a little to each tank of your 4-c engines until it's gone, won't bother those engines a bit.

A good local repairman told me that at least 90% of his 2-cycle business came from fuel problems- and most of that was from using old fuel. #'s 3 & 4 above are his recommendations.

And FWIW- he thinks the Mobil synthetic 2-cycle oil is the greatest thing ever for trimmers, chain saws, blowers, 2-c motorcycles, and any other 2-c air-cooled engines. If you can find it where you live, surely worth a try. It works great in my trimmer, blower, & chain saw.

I agree with the above posts. Fresh gas and new air filter. I suspect one of your adjustment screws is in need of adjustment. Get yur manual or just back one of them out say 1/2 to 1 turn. . Keep track of where you are.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I agree with the above posts. Fresh gas and new air filter. I suspect one of your adjustment screws is in need of adjustment. Get yur manual or just back one of them out say 1/2 to 1 turn. . Keep track of where you are.

If its a Homelite that's what it probably is. Suggest yhou throw it away and buy an Echo. I should have pitched mine years ago.

Good advice. I'll mess around with different oils and fresh gas.

The gasoline for the Stihl and the Homelite was bought on the same day from the same pump about a month ago.

- The Stihl got the new Stihl 2 stroke oil at 50:1

- the Homelite got the Old (6-8 years old) oil at 32:1...same gas as the Stihl.

The weedeater runs great on the Stihl 50:1, so the only variable is the oil. It would appear that maybe the oil has gone bad.

I'm going to experiment with the Stihl oil at 32:1 and see how it runs. If that clears up the problems, it looks like that 2 stroke oil is the culprit. If not, I'm going to mess with the adjustment screws as suggested by Al.

I'm also going to consider running the Stihl on 40:1 for perhaps more longevity. I doubt if my chainsaw with occasional use will melt the polar icecaps. Does this approach seem prudent from a engine longevity perspective?

- The Homelite got the

I'd like to use Mobil1 Racing 2T at 32:1 in everything. If your Stihl has a non adjustable carb, then it may not like 32:1. I am running a Stihl (50:1) on 40:1 currently, have not tried to use 32:1 in it.

The stihl oil is nothing special as far as I know. Especially for the cost.
A premium synthetic oil could help your equipment run better, last forever.

It could be a dirty carburator. Most have a diaphram that acts as a fuel pump and the passages are very small - thus (don't ask me how I know) a single dog hair can cause your problems. In addition, there's probably a relatively heavy felt "filter" at the end of the fuel line in the gas tank. It could be clogged and need replacement/cleaning. And lastly, using the "new" gasolines formulated with ethanol effectively leans out the engine (and they are already too lean now and can't adjust anymore to the lower output ethanol gas). Problem is, most high speed jets have a limiting cap on the adjusting screw. On my Echo blower, I had to remove the cap, and richen the high speed needle a full turn - now smooth as silk.

I'm going to switch over to Mobil 1 Racing 2t for the Stihl and use the stihl stuff for the homelite.

I'm going to see how the Stihl likes a 40:1 mix.

Check the screen on the muffler as it may be clogged up with carbon then if that doesnt work then remove the carb take it apart and spray out every little hole with a can of carb cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back