Newer Silverado, 2013+ with 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are the newer generation Silverados with the new Gen V/LS/LT based 4.3?

Used 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4x4 Regular Cab W/T

Dad has a 215k '95 S10 and a 225k '98 K1500, both of which have seen better days.

They look impressive, almost 300hp and a 6-speed auto. 17-22 MPG.

This truck is no frills, a perfect successor to the vinyl floor, 4cyl 5MT S10 it may replace.

I dunno, I'd think it'd be a big change from the S10. Then again, if has a K1500 he might be used to the size.

I don't know if you can rent one to try out but after having my truck for a few years I kinda regret it. It's oversized with poor visibility. A 20 year old truck is going to feel much different.

That said, your logic makes sense to me. It's a nice upgrade without being too costly. I don't think we've heard much about the 4.3 here, not sure if it is low take rate or just that well done.

I'll also add that he has a 2005 2500HD 6.0 and a 2004 LeSabre but those are clean summer vehicles only.

Is that the old Chevy small-block-based 4.3 (a lopped-off 350) as used in the Astro, or is it the newer purpose-designed 60-degree V6?

It is the new LT based 4.3 and it is a good engine. Basically the current LT1 minus two cylinders. Guys on the GM truck boards really like them. It shares nothing with the old 4.3

I have a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 RWD Crew Cab with the 4.3 V6. Bought it six months ago, put 8k miles on it so far. I've been consistently getting 24+ MPG on the highway, and it has all the power I need. When passing, it jumps from 60 to 80 mph before you know what happened. I don't drive it around town very much, but it gets 20 - 22 MPG in that case. Visibility is not a problem for me, even with the cap on the bed. (Though it's hard to see my little trailer when I'm backing (trailer empty) down the boat ramp, but the camera helps a lot!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Number_35
Is that the old Chevy small-block-based 4.3 (a lopped-off 350) as used in the Astro, or is it the newer purpose-designed 60-degree V6?

It is a 90-degree engine similar to the L83 and L86 V8's. Aluminum block and heads, deep-skirt block, split-pin even-fire crank, direct injection. The cylinder bore is unique in the LS series, 99.5mm, but it has the same 92mm stroke as the 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, and 6.2 V8's. It also has a balance shaft in the valley to cancel out secondary moments.

I have 25K on a 4.3 2016 double cab 2wd Silverado (old Work Truck) . No complaints at all. Tows a 2k lb pop up easily. Great mileage although the truck always says 2-2.5 better mileage than calculated. Just be aware this engine has the dreaded direct injection AND cylinder deactivation if such things scare you. The '14 up years seem to have this sorted out. Dexos1Gen2 oil and conservative OCIs should help if in doubt.

I've got 65,000 miles on a 2015 extended cab 4x4 with this motor and have had no problems whatsoever. This truck performs as well unloaded as my previous two GM trucks (2004 and 2009) that had V8's. I do notice a little less grunt on occasional weekend duty pulling a 3,000 lb boat, but I'm only 5 miles from the boat ramp so no complaints here...

I keep detailed fuel records for work purposes, all mileage calculated by hand. I drive 25% city traffic, 60% at 70 MPH, and 15% on sandy/muddy logging roads for field work. The 4.3 averages 18 MPG on E10 or 16 on E20. Just to compare, my 2009 with a 5.3 and 4 speed was operated the same way and averaged 13-14 MPG on E10. It's probably noteworthy that the air dams are removed and AT tires mounted the day I bring home any truck I drive, and some would probably call my driving habits "spirited."

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Originally Posted by Number_35

It is a 90-degree engine similar to the L83 and L86 V8's. Aluminum block and heads, deep-skirt block, split-pin even-fire crank, direct injection. The cylinder bore is unique in the LS series, 99.5mm, but it has the same 92mm stroke as the 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, and 6.2 V8's. It also has a balance shaft in the valley to cancel out secondary moments.

I am a bit surprised to hear it has split-pin throws... The crank must be forged steel? or at least ductile iron (cast nodular iron). I guess with a single balance shaft in the valley, and with it being a 90 degree vee, the vibrations are not totally cancelled out (compared to say a 60 degree V6)... but then again, with split throw crankpins, does it not in effect BECOME a 60 degree V6 by way of firing order and frequency?.

In any case, so long as the cylinder deactivation (which occurs less frequently in this 4.3 V6 than in the V8's) does not cause problems, and so long as the direct injection does not cause carboning up, then I think this is a very good truck engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

In any case, so long as the cylinder deactivation (which occurs less frequently in this 4.3 V6 than in the V8's) does not cause problems, and so long as the direct injection does not cause carboning up, then I think this is a very good truck engine.

That's kinda funny right there. It's a very good engine but for the AFM and DI....

In my view the bigger worry is "chevy-shake" that no one can seem to definitively solve.... Would appear to affect all wheelbases and cab configs of the '14 thru'18 chevs + gm's including suburbans etc

Last edited:
If I was to buy a brand new 2019 full size truck it would be the Chevy W/T with the 4.3 V6. My only complaint about the motor would be the cylinder deactivation but to me it still be a long lasting engine than their new 2.7 turbo Four. I have the older version of the 4.3 and love it in my 2007 W/T.
220,000 miles and still going strong.

Originally Posted by passgas55
If I was to buy a brand new 2019 full size truck it would be the Chevy W/T with the 4.3 V6.

W/T is now just plain Silverado without letters (LT, LTZ, etc.). It's what I've got, only option carpet wish it had vinyl. The base level truck has cruise, P/W, P/L, 6spd auto. Interesting that it has a chrome grill instead of W/T black.

Agree with the preventative fixes above and I get a very minor shimmy above 75, same with a 2nd set of tires so it might be Chevy shake. Lucky I seldom drive over 75. It seems one cause is the driveshaft not perfectly straight. Have read accounts of having the driveshaft trued and balanced fixing it but maybe that's not really the shake that's more widespread and thought to be something with the frame.

It is so so weird that even GM can't come up with a clear fix for Chevy Shake. Add some kind of additional structural member to the frame? I know it would not be cost effective for GM to come up with a fix like that but 'cmon - someone should spill the beans as to what would definitively fix it!

Two of my co-workers had late model Silverados with the new 4.3L. I know neither one of them even realized their trucks had direct injection or what it even means. They liked the power and fuel economy. Neither one kept their trucks long because they couldn't take the shake/shimmy, which I guess was associated with the cylinder deactivation and they both complained about weird transmission shifting. They went back to V8s.

It's hard to say which present day V6 powered truck is going to last the longest, but I sure do like my Pentastar powered Ram in terms of how it drives and the fuel economy it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back