Why on Earth do you need a 0W anything ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What drives a person, and their family to live and work in an environment that requires a "0W" anything ?

This is intended as light hearted, and arising from another thread, but seriously...

Agreed, it does seem a bit crazy to live here. The solution for me has been to embrace winter rather than try to hide from it. Skating the river trail, and winter cycling are both great fun. I hope to get more into cross-country skiing this coming winter. I played hockey when I was younger, and that too made the winter something to look forward to.

On the downside, mechanical work and outdoor maintenance basically come to a stop for me.

And yes, 5W and 0W oils are a good think here.

Most of my family look forward to Winter (Superior, WI area). Change of seasons makes less boring, no bugs and skeeters, hunting season, ice fishing, snowmobiles, total change of the "look" of the area, no tourist's (although now they have Winter tourist's), "hearty" lifestyle. They enjoy a lot of things that they cannot do in the Summer. Works for them. Never worked for me...

My whole family has always lived here. Pretty hard to uproot your life and leave your family just for warmer weather. It sounds appealing of course, but not an easy choice.

I was at a trucking conference a few years ago. Local Winnipeg waste company had rolled out a fleet of local CNG waste trucks.
You know to get green and all...
Their experience with -40C weather was atrocious. At times they had a 50% downtime in "no starts".
Comment was we couldn't get enough power out of a 20 Amp circuit to heat the engines up enough to guarantee a start.
Before shipping to the field, I upfitted my light duty diesel fleet with a battery trickle charger, oil pan heater and block heater.
As long as they were plugged in to a working receptacle they started.

Originally Posted by Shannow
What drives a person, and their family to live and work in an environment that requires a "0W" anything ?

This is intended as light hearted, and arising from another thread, but seriously...

No snakes. No Alligators. Plus, if you need to keep extra beer cold, you just put it outside.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Shannow

I have often wondered that .

In my youth , I was not " tough " enough to live up north . Now , I am certainly not . :-(

When it is cold , all I want to do is to hang around , inside the heater . Oe the heater in my vehicle .

On the other hand , 100F , outside , is not that bad as long as there is low humidity , a breeze & you are out of the sun . That is often the case here .

Of course , wear a cap / hat and stay hydrated .

Because for me, the easiest and cheapest A3/B4 vw 502 option is a 0w40?

I feel cold flow is overrated.

Because there are places in the world where vehicles will be started in extreme cold temperatures without being plugged in over night because it's not possible.

Also because I like running water in my engines. (J/K)
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by k1xv
Because you can't make maple syrup from palm tree sap.

01.gif

Taken light heartedly, but with a reasonable answer:

I'm a red head (or was, anyhow) and kinda wilt under the hot sun. Cooler weather works for me. Problem is finding a temperate climate that avoids extremes. I've heard the west coast is better, but a lifetime on the east coast means I feel comfortable here. And have my roots here. So I guess you could say I'm just too lazy to move to someplace better. Wife hates summer, and would prefer it to be winter all year round. Even with the a/c on it's just never as cool as it is in winter.

I'm not a fan of the bitter cold but TBH the thing that gets me over the winter is the short days. That bothers me more than the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back