11 E350 headlight issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 E350 Mercede with bi-xenon lights - 100% stock. Today first time I had an issue with passenger side headlight it not putting out as same output as a driver side headlight. I did a quick search from what I understand is that I need to replace the headlamps if I'm having light issue.

Passenger side showing pink color
Driver side showing normal output (kinda white I guess)
I'm sorry for my grammars and thank you for your help.

Well the bixenons had the active curve illumination so if the headlamps do their dance when you first turn the lights on, the headlamps are probably fine, you just need to change the bulbs as previously mentioned. You should also do both sides as they do dim a little with age so if you just do one, the new one will be brighter than the old one. I would suggest not getting the bulbs on ebay, get it from a real vendor not like Amazon who might mix their inventory with 3rd party sellers. Lots of fakes out there and they fail soon.

Originally Posted by Danno
Looks like about $300+ on eBay for OEM complete lamp

He just needs a bulb.

HID "pinkeye" is how they fail. I'd replace the pair.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Well the bixenons had the active curve illumination so if the headlamps do their dance when you first turn the lights on, the headlamps are probably fine, you just need to change the bulbs as previously mentioned. You should also do both sides as they do dim a little with age so if you just do one, the new one will be brighter than the old one. I would suggest not getting the bulbs on ebay, get it from a real vendor not like Amazon who might mix their inventory with 3rd party sellers. Lots of fakes out there and they fail soon.

Ok thank. I will check out the headlight tonight to see if active curve illumination is doing they job or not. If they are doing the job then I'm going to buy this kit. Can you tell me if this is okay for our headlamps. Thinking about buying this:
http://www.morimotohid.com/h11-morimoto-elite.html?carDisplay=2011+Mercedes-Benz+E-Class+%28HID+Equipped%29&preselect=47309&preselect_restrict=1

Those are not what you need. That H11 kit is probably for your fog lights.

You need a D1S. Buy name-brand. I prefer Osram, Hella, or Sylvania.

Yeah, that's not the right item. You don't need a kit, you already have xenon bulbs. Or at least that's what you told us. Osram and Philips are the two big names out there and I believe 4300k was the stock color. For some strange reason some think whiter/bluer is better like 5000k or 6000k, but there's good reasons why the manufacturer picked 4300k.

Did you have the P2 package? That's typically the bixenons with keyless go. You have bixenons if you have the cutouts in the front bumper for the headlamp washers. You should also have stickers under the hood warning about high voltage if you have the bixenons. Otherwise you have halogen headlamps. Seems like only 10-20% of cars made had the bixenons. You can also tell by running the vin number through a vin decoder.

Yes I have p2 package and I'm thinking of buying this bulbs.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d1s-osram-xenarc-66144-nightbreaker-laser.html?carDisplay=2011+Mercedes-Benz+E-Class+%28HID+Equipped%29&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Those are quality bulbs. Replace them as a pair.

Are those $180 each? For headlight bulbs?

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata

Yes. Those are the latest and greatest, with significantly brighter output.

Standard D1S bulbs are $60-90 each.

And I felt like spending $40 on a PAIR of 'Silverstar' bulbs when I was younger was expensive.

If you read the description, they come as a pair so it's $90 a bulb. Standard bulbs are in the $40-$60 range. I don't think your eyes can really tell the difference with just a 20% output increase. New bulbs are always brighter and they slowly decline with age.

And I felt like spending $40 on a PAIR of 'Silverstar' bulbs when I was younger was expensive.

That's the cost of owning a Mercedes. Xenon bulbs are supposed to last longer than halogen. I'm still on the original bulbs on my 2008 and 2011. I think the headlamps list for about 2k, even more if you have the night vision option.

My guess is either the previous owner drove a lot at night and wore them out or someone replaced them with fakes.

I find out that my headlamps is working fine according to what Wolf359 said about the headlamps. I'm going to order the bulbs from the website I listed above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back