FLIR video NAS Lemoore 3/31/16

Video of Jeep vehicle intruder on NAS Lemoor pursued by local sheriff's helicopter until intruder is captured about 15 minutes later. No base personnel reached the target prior to civilian police. One passenger killed when vehicle graised the rear wing of F-18.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RgC2BWWqdOc

Extremely poor security. This idiot circumnavigated the flightline, drove through and among ramps full of F-18's for far, far too long without being intercepted. I'm a real Cassandra about how bad physical security has become at defense facilities. Mostly due to lack of personnel which is a result of too low a priority and further by budget constraints. I was really sensitized to it back in 2001 when I just drove into Norfolk, no gate guards and drove all the way up under the bow of an aircraft carrier before getting out and walking around at my leisure!

Obviously things have tightened up since 9/11 but I would bet not nearly enough. The "it can't happen here" mindset is strong. The situation should never be that a first target is sacrificed before a general alarm raises security elsewhere. As bad as I hate to say it The use of deadly force signs have to have real meaning.

There are enough IRGC, Chinese, Russian, ISIS and other operatives in the US to put many vehicles into use for an operation to take out multiple bases at once perhaps as a prelude to other actions.

Apologies for getting amped up about this. It gets me hopping mad.

No kidding that's worse than poor. Doing stupid stuff like that with a serious purpose is nothing new. Back in 1980 a handful of happy go lucky idiots got the idea of hijacking a sub for ransom which was docked. I don't remember the details but they got caught before really doing anything. One thing for sure, base security there is all but nonexistent.

I would say that was real Benny Hill chase, but Benny did a better job of catching the lingerie girls than base security did.

Jeep just sucked in the whole piece of that stabilizer. Assuming passenger was guillotined, and driver badly cleaved. Horrific. All that to avoid some relatively petty misdemeanors or felonies.

Did that other one get back airborne fast or what?

I saw more about this and thought I'd repost the video now that XenForo works better with video.

Drove by the NAS Lemoore front entrance once before heading on to see the 1997 Edwards AFB Open House. Of course that was next to CA-198 and not through these side roads. The runways are way, way off from any major roads.

I love watching these kind of videos. I wonder what he threw out in the early part, drugs most likely?

Video of Jeep vehicle intruder on NAS Lemoor pursued by local sheriff's helicopter until intruder is captured about 15 minutes later. No base personnel reached the target prior to civilian police. One passenger killed when vehicle graised the rear wing of F-18.

Just a few things.....

It was a California Highway Patrol helicopter. And they didn't just graze the F/A-18. They went straight into the left horizontal stabilizer. You can even see the heat generated by it. The passenger supposedly "died instantly" and I'm hesitant to say how. The driver managed to stagger out of the vehicle, collapsed outside, and died at a hospital.

It is sad the jet was hit. There seems to be an abundance of stupid these days.

It is sad the jet was hit. There seems to be an abundance of stupid these days.

This was almost five years ago. I thought about it when I came across the video and I checked to see if someone might have posted on this earlier.

I think it was a fairly minor thing. I've gotten curious about the base and saw satellite images of the tarmac. They've got some aircraft there with entire parts (wings, stabilizers, etc) removed, so I guess they often just cannibalize some aircraft for parts until they can get new parts to rebuild.

The remarkable thing was that they managed to get past the gate and somehow weren't being chased by base security. I've only been on one military base without a gate, and that was the Presidio of San Francisco, although that was a very different kind of military base. I've even gotten to a military base security gate where I just needed to turn around. I thought that they didn't mess around when there was over a billion dollars with of military hardware sitting on the tarmac.

Lemoore outside of the town and the base seems like farmland as far as the eye can see. Not only that, but the airfield portion is a few miles off the highway and they went through a lot of the base to get there without being stopped. I used to listen to a morning show cohosted by a former NFL player (Lorenzo Neal) who grew up near Lemoore. He'd occasionally talk about NAS Lemoore, which is several miles away from the town, although he grew up on a farm. His cohosts would rag him about growing up there.

The Pilot of the F18 didn't let all the excitement stop him from his practice carrier landing...that's focus!

Would have liked to hear the talk between them and the tower "..aircraft East of threshold is a Police helicopter, ground traffic is a meth head, no factor..."

Back