SODIUM - 4
CALCIUM - 24
MAGNESIUM - 4
PHOSPHORUS - 1500
ZINC - 20

Water % 0.0
Vis@100C 17.99

High Temp EP is a Low-S, Medium P Multi-Functional component
Low Temp EP is a Potassium-Borate component.

VI - 178
BF Vis cP@-40C ASTM D2983 - 93,300
Falex ASTM D3233B - > 3650 lbf.
FP - 426F
PP - -48F
Copper Corrosion - 1b

So is the potassium present as potassium tetraborate or something similar? Curious, does the potassium act as something like a "flux" to assist the boron in forming the sacrificial plating? Asking because most of the gear lube posts I see referencing potassium are usually asking the user to find some kind of contamination to account for the K.

Is there an easy way to get this into the 75W80 range? Even when all you do is post specs, your posts are fascinating. Thanks Mola!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
So is the potassium present as potassium tetraborate or something similar? Curious, does the potassium act as something like a "flux" to assist the boron in forming the sacrificial plating? Asking because most of the gear lube posts I see referencing potassium are usually asking the user to find some kind of contamination to account for the K.

Is there an easy way to get this into the 75W80 range? Even when all you do is post specs, your posts are fascinating. Thanks Mola!

All I can say is it is a Potassium-Tri-Borate Multi-Functional component and otherwise a trade secret.

As far as purchasing the finished product, you'll have to purchase it from my customer, a Blender and Marketer.whose name shall remain anonymous as protected by an NDA.

This is a full Synthetic Gear Lube as in API Group IV and V base oil components.

It is yet to be released.

Originally Posted by Colt45ws
I figured as much. We will have to find who is offering a new or reformulated 75W110 product
It could be many months to a year away from being released. Or they may decide not to sell it.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Colt45ws
I figured as much. We will have to find who is offering a new or reformulated 75W110 product
It could be many months to a year away from being released. Or they may decide not to sell it.

I think they will have to sell it to recuperate my consulting fees.

Last edited:
This has to be a small to mid-size player in the gear oil market if they don't have staff chemists or engineers that can do this stuff ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
This has to be a small to mid-size player in the gear oil market if they don't have staff chemists or engineers that can do this stuff ?

Their chemical person ran out of the building screaming something about how low viscosity oils and UFO's were out to get him. The guys in the white coats ushered him into a van and that was the last time they have seen him.
smile.gif

Actually, he retired and I see many companies selecting to use outside consulting sources because it involves a one-time payment without having to provide a continuous salary, insurance, coffee, etc.

Corporate lubricant formulating has it's disadvantages, such as have to deal with the MBA's and the bean counters.

Being a consultant often means periods of dry spells but when a contract comes along, It means I can buy more coffee.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...hail-coffee-savior-of-the-morning#UNREAD

But it also means setting your own hours, selecting good contracts, rejecting ridiculous contracts, and not having to deal with office idiots.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as "shockproof" gear oil.

Shockproof is a Redline trademark for their extra EP gear lube additive for differentials that are used in racing.

Basically, this component is simply a micro-size calcium carbonate particulate in suspension, boosting a basic EP package.

In my case, the booster is the Potassium-Borate.

Last edited:
Mola -
you needn't tell us what brand it is, but could you slyly mention to us when it hits the market, so we can check it out?

I'd be willing to run some in various applications and have some fun testing it out. I'm often intrigued by these mid-grade options. Just like Goldie-locks; not too thin, not too thick, and juuuuuusssst right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back