Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0W30 - Synthetic or not?

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Well, no interest anymore in a voa now...

Shipping is a deal killer, but if you think we can figure something out, I may be interested in one 5L jug... I have a new mower
smile.gif

how far are you from the Belgian border? My dad lives on the coast, so I could pop over some weekend. I like to drive anyway.

And I'm still interested in a VOA. I still think they only replaced part of the PAO with GRIII which means the add pack could still be lower than a full GRIII oil.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

So you're after limited ash B4 or strong C3 oil?

Exactly. If you look at the charts Volodymir posted, the true C3 oils skirt the SAPS limit anyway or are blatantly over it. So why not get a B4 oil with 40% more phospor, 20% more Calcium (and TBN) and in the end about 10% more saps than the C3 limit? Only the PAO based oils deliver this though as they seem to respond better to additives than GRIII and below. The slightly more saps doesn't bother since there's no measureable oil consumption but I'm not going to push my luck by using a 1.5% saps oil.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: chrisri

So you're after limited ash B4 or strong C3 oil?

Exactly. If you look at the charts Volodymir posted, the true C3 oils skirt the SAPS limit anyway or are blatantly over it. So why not get a B4 oil with 40% more phospor, 20% more Calcium (and TBN) and in the end about 10% more saps than the C3 limit? Only the PAO based oils deliver this though as they seem to respond better to additives than GRIII and below. The slightly more saps doesn't bother since there's no measureable oil consumption but I'm not going to push my luck by using a 1.5% saps oil.

I would take values in those charts with a grain of salt. Problem is that with 12 sequence B4 oils were considerately beefed up- to distance them from C3 oils. Most of them are in 11-12 BN range, and being based on conventional additive packs they will have higher ash levels compared to before when TBN min requirement were 8, and ash levels 1.0-1.2..

Of course you can always mix. 2 litre full SAPS with 2.5L of C3 oil. Same manufacturer, similar additives.
Or, if you are brave enough, you can try E6,E7 oil. Like Urania 5w30 Fe Ls. Ash level 1.0, TBN 13, advanced oil that I have used in various cars. Always performed good.
Zero problems with 1.5 dci, 1.6 hdi, 1.6 hdi-dpf. First two with over 400k. Original turbo and bearings on Renault.
Only thing that is keeping me from using it in my FIATs is Xw40 requirement.

Indeed, that batch was in line with 08 sequence. My point was that contemporary B4 oils would have higher ash levels and thus be inappropriate for your Alfa. Take a look at LS HDDOs.

The ones of you livng in England may use Millers oils - a superb brand. If you insist on 0W-30 their CFS 0W-30NT is a real synthetic triple ester oil, of some highest quality and AFAIK prices in Britain are quite tentative.
Also can use Motul.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
yes, but the (previous at least) TQ9000E had an 8.8 TBN, so the 0.9% saps was right in line.

So where are you with this low ash B4 oil? I'm asking because I'm in a similar boat now with my DPFed Vectra. Car used Dexos 2 oil (GM) with previous owner, but I would like to move from this. I'm planning two short OCI with Urania 5w30 LS (2-4 k) for peace of mind.
Car is with full service history, and currently with 189k km.

Still where I was.

latest product data sheet still shows tbn at 8.8. All that seems to have changed is (some of?) the PAO content and the pour point. But the russians had the pour point tested for the new formula and there it seems to go well beyond -45°C.

The oil has been in use for 2 months and 4000 km now.

Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan
The ones of you livng in England may use Millers oils - a superb brand. If you insist on 0W-30 their CFS 0W-30NT is a real synthetic triple ester oil, of some highest quality and AFAIK prices in Britain are quite tentative.
Also can use Motul.

Triple ester is just looking to me to be the (Trialcohol) TMP ester. Even though, That's confusing.

Hi Guys,

Just coming back to this thread and a quick question due to my car soon needing an oil change:

Which other oil (0W30 or 5W30) on the market would be similar in performance, i.e. Viscosity at 100°C around 12.3, ACEA A3/B4 and specified for non-DPF engines. Just looking if there is another product I may not know about, but I guess there are a very few on the market that matches this Total.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

Can't go wrong with any major brand product out of this list.

Elf Evolution 900FT 0w-30 = Total Quartz Energy 9000 0w-30

http://www4.total.fr/middle-east/PDS/Auto/Elf/ELF-EVOLUTION-900-FT-0W-30.pdf

http://www4.total.fr/asia-oceania/a...QUARTZ%209000%20ENERGY%200W30%200114.pdf

Same goes for other Total/Elf product...the only difference being the packaging and names on the labels.

BTW around y2000 PSA recommended 5w-40 or 10w-40 oils for dw10..then later they started pushing these low-saps 5w-30's as backwards-compatible...no,thanks.

In short you've got a really wide choice of proper oils. A robust engine and not that demanding on oil...

If you insist on xw-30 visc., you may consider ACEA E6/E9 oils too like chrisri suggests on the previous page on this thread.

Fuchs Titan Supersyn 0W30
Aral Supertronic G 0W30
Motul 8100 X-lite 0W30
Motul 8100 X-max 0W30
Valvoline Synpower MXL 0W30
Eurol Synergy 0W30. (Dutch brand)

All above are full saps A3/B4, 100c viscosities varying from mid 11s to low 12s
Originally Posted by Seweryn
Hi Guys,

Just coming back to this thread and a quick question due to my car soon needing an oil change:

Which other oil (0W30 or 5W30) on the market would be similar in performance, i.e. Viscosity at 100°C around 12.3, ACEA A3/B4 and specified for non-DPF engines. Just looking if there is another product I may not know about, but I guess there are a very few on the market that matches this Total.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NuttCase
Fuchs Titan Supersyn 0W30
Aral Supertronic G 0W30
Motul 8100 X-lite 0W30
Motul 8100 X-max 0W30
Valvoline Synpower MXL 0W30
Eurol Synergy 0W30. (Dutch brand)

All above are full saps A3/B4, 100c viscosities varying from mid 11s to low 12s

Thanks NuttCase. I have also managed to source Elf evolution 900 FT 0W30, all other products are not easily available.

Found recent 2018 msds of this oil and seems like they use up to 40 percent "total" of pao basestock.

http://apkgroup.com/msds/english/MSDS%20by%20Supplier/Total%20Lubrifiants%20Canada%20(278)/151522(05-15-2018).pdf

Last edited:
Found recent 2018 msds of this oil and seems like they use up to 40 percent "total" of pao basestock.

http://apkgroup.com/msds/english/MSDS%20by%20Supplier/Total%20Lubrifiants%20Canada%20(278)/151522(05-15-2018).pdf
My Kia dealership uses 0w20 and 0w30 Total Quartz 9000 Energy full Synthetic oil. Labels on top of barrels.

Attachments

• 20210719_094735.jpg
    20210719_094735.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 10
Back