Old batteries at HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has many of you know that old batteries are not good to purchase. I saw a Exide Extreme group 24F battery at Home Depot with a build date of 11/17. A battery that old and uncharged would likely be sulfated so bad that it would not last hardly at all. At $94 and a 40 month warranty it would likely not be a good buy due to it's old build date. Now a fresh battery with the same price and warranty would likely be at least worth thinking about.
Always check those build dates. One reason why batteries at Walmart may hold up well is due to high turn over/sales in their stock. Especially the common group sizes utilized like 24,35,51,58,65 etc. But even Walmart batteries that are not common sizes can have really old build dates has well.

Hope you guys had a good day on Father's day.

Who would buy an Excide battery to begin with? Last on my last even if it was manufactured this morning.

Nor would HomeDepot be the first place I would look for a car battery. You need to go to a place with high battery turnover like Walmart.

I'm not sure HD is anyones' first thought on getting auto parts. Depending upon the store, it's often tucked away like an afterthought.

I'm not sure I buy the wife's tales about exile being so bad. Ive had a fresh WM battery fail fast...

Great point JHZR2.

I don't totally buy into the idea that Exide is totally bad.

I agree a fresh new battery can fail too.

That's why I'm glad my Wally world does have East Penn batteries. They build quality products.

Ill bet the batteries are even older then that in my HD. They are up front basically out of site by one of the exits COVERED in dust.

Batteries self discharge at different rates.

The main influencing factor is mainly average battery temperature, but impurities in the lead plate paste or electrolyte also increase the rate of self discharge.

Once the bettery is below 80% charged it starts to sulfate faster and those sulfates begin to harden, perhaps never to redissolve back into the electrolyte. The longer they remain and the lower the battery gets, state of charge wise, the worse it is for the battery.

But a long sitting without a refreshing charge battery, can still perform OK, if it is brough upto 14.7ish volts for many hours, and then perhaps bumped as high as 16.2v, or until the specific gravity of the electrolyte stop rising.

I'd not pay full price for a long sitting never charged battery, but if I was offered one for a heavily discounted price, I have the tools to bring it back up to its maximum remaining capacity, and only then can I begin to determine if it was a good deal or not.

If the long sitting battery was indeed fully charged when it arrived on its shelf, and that shelf was kept cool, the battery might not have crossed that 80% state of charge threshold, as self discharge at lower temperatures is much less.

They say self dischrge is 15% a month at 77f average temperature, for flooded, and lower$$ AGMs can be 2 to 4%, and top quality AGMS are 1 to 1.5% per month.

The maintenance free flooded no removable cap batteries, I am not sure of their self discharge rate, but these batteries especially hate being deep cycled, and if inadvertently deeply cycled should be brought upto and held at 15 volts until amperage tapers to near zero or they will lose capacity quickly after that inadvertent deep cycle.

Generally a 50% discharged battery is considered deeply cycled, and a 30% charged battery can still start the engine in mild temperatures, so a battery that required a jumpstart was very much deeply cycled, and starting batteries do not like this. Even Deep cycle batteries do not like this preferring to stay above 50% state of charge.

Always try to charge any discharged battery, as close as possible to being fully charged, as is possible with the plug in charging sources available to battery owner to do so.

If one wants verification of full charge, that green light on the smart charger is not it.
Resting voltage is not it. Voltage hot off the charger is far from it.
If the battery is flooded with removeable caps, the temperature compensated hydrometer is the battery polygraph as to state of charge. OTC4619 is a good enough one. Francis Freas is the benchmark in accuracy and precision

To determine full charge on an AGM battery, one needs to hold it at 14.4 to 14.7 volts ( assuming 77f battery temperature) until amperage tapers to 0.5% of the capacity of the battery, 0.5 amps per 100Ah of capacity.

The maintenance free flooded batteries need to be brought upto 15v and held until amps taper to very low levels.

No vehicle charging system will truly fully charge a depleted battery, no matter how long the vehicle is driven, unless the voltage regulator is holding mid 14 volts the entire time, and if it does this, it can overcharge the battery. This is precisely what the programmers of automotive voltage regulators are trying to avoid, as an overcharged battery is releasing lots of hydrogen and oxygen and taking some corrosive sulfuric acid mist with them as they exit the battery.

An undercharged battery merely fails prematurely. Not a concern of the automaker.

It is wise to seek freshly manufactured batteries or retailers which actually top charge them monthly, but it is just as wise to insure the battery regularly gets to 100% state of chrarge and to not expect the vehicle to do it, because it will not.

The best lead acid battery chronically undercharged, will not last as long as the worst L/A battery kept fully charged, all other factors being equal, and free from defects.

We have 8 MV-1 in our fleet, all 8 came with Exide batteries, 5 of the 8 had to be replaced in 15 months or less. Coincidence, maybe... but it's enough to make me stay away from Exide.

The walmart battery I purchased for the sonata (a weird size), was about 2 months old.

I chose walmart because it will be simple to warranty.

I took a scan of the receipt and warranty and put it on my google drive.

HD gets in and out of the motor oil/ battery business so often it cracks me up.

I'm trying to figure out their motivation; if it's tweekers with only HD credit who need dual batteries for their coal rolling beater trucks. Or if Exide owns 10% of HD stock.

Might work money-wise with a veterans/ moving discount/ new credit card trifecta but you'd still get a junk battery that sprays acid up through the posts after six months.

HD isn't the only big box store where they sit, either.

Ahh no doubt.

AutoZone had their batteries with dates that we're old too... Many from 2017. Freshest one I saw... 4/18. Group 24F.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The walmart battery I purchased for the sonata (a weird size), was about 2 months old.

I chose walmart because it will be simple to warranty.

I took a scan of the receipt and warranty and put it on my google drive.
Best thing with Walmart batteries is when you need to warranty it out, take it to a Walmart without an auto center, they don't test it and it's no questions asked for replacement at the customer service desk. Well they do ask if there's something wrong with it.

I purchased and installed a battery from Home Depot for my 2012 Impala last year. The car would not start and I returned the battery to the store. I brought my volt meter with me and found one with a decent charge after checking a few of them. Did I do the right thing or should I have just put the charger on the first one and be done with i?. I don't plan on purchasing any more batteries there.

FYI. I purchased an Exide Global Extreme 124R from HD on 11/01/2016 (didn't look for battery date code) for $25.03. Stored in the garage until I installed it in an 02 CR-V on 07/10/2017. Still works great. While the battery was in the garage, I had to add some acid that I have on hand from my motorcycle battery and put it on battery tender a few times. So, there it is; my personal experience with Exide battery.

I was curious about born on date so I looked this last weekend. mfg. 11/2014. So, the battery is about 4 yrs old. In use for about 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back