Silicate fallout with conventional green, ( pics )

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does not look good that's for sure. Looks like iron oxide deposits.

San Carlos Radiator has some flushing methods to clean it up. If it were mine, I would use the live flush method. Drive for at least 100 miles, and leave it in for three days.

They sell their own chemical to clean it up. There are other flushing compounds that will help clean it too. What ever you use make sure it's the heavy duty version!

http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/VoltageDrop/flush.htm

Update :

I found out the coolant i was using at the time of these pictures being taken is a Phosphate + Borate formula which has no Silicates.

I flushed the cooling system and filled it with G40 Silicate HOAT in October and have no problems to report.

If anything the aluminium core inside the radiator which looked pitted seems to have self healed somewhat ( i suppose thanks to the silicates )

...I found out the coolant i was using at the time of these pictures being taken is a Phosphate + Borate formula which has no Silicates...
Whatever it was, not an Asian Phoat AF. They use/contain no silicates, borates, nitrites or amines.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
...I found out the coolant i was using at the time of these pictures being taken is a Phosphate + Borate formula which has no Silicates...
Whatever it was, not an Asian Phoat AF. They use/contain no silicates, borates, nitrites or amines.

No ofcourse not, it's a IAT formula with Phosphates and Borates.
Probably why the Cast Iron was well protected but all the aluminium components were heavily pitted.

Ok. With the mention of no silicates, thought you were implying some completely different AF type than topic. I was under the impression most if not all IAT AF have/use silicates as the main inhibitor. Also finding phosphate in Euro coolant goes against the normal wisdom as Euro AFs generally said to eschew its use.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Ok. With the mention of no silicates, thought you were implying some completely different AF type than topic. I was under the impression most if not all IAT AF have/use silicates as the main inhibitor. Also finding phosphate in Euro coolant goes against the normal wisdom as Euro AFs generally said to eschew its use.

You are correct, here in Spain all the "conventional green" coolant seem to be the same kind of Phosphate + Borate formula without Silicates, which to me makes no sense either, i just found out about this not long ago.
That's why i thought the green coolant i had been using had Silicates in it, but nope.

I have switched to G40/G12++ Silicate HOAT now and it seems to be doing just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back