Zerez Asian / Valvoline Asian

Last edited:
When I did a drain/fill on my Tacoma a few years ago, if I remember correctly, Zerex Asian was made by the supplier that makes Toyota SLLC (Ashland, I believe, which is Valvoline). So, I think all 3 of those are the same. I used the Zerex Asian.

I've been wondering the exact same thing about the Zerex Asian blue versions at O'Reilly and Wal-Mart. Never got an answer. My assumption is they're the same.
21.gif
Watching...

I know the Zerez gallon comes in a red or blue label and the coolant is colored accordingly but what about the Valvoline gallon? I believe it only comes in one color and I wonder what is the color of the coolant.

If you read the back of both Zerex Asian Red and Zerez Asian Blue they state "colored for OEM compatibility" but both list Honda and Toyota and many others... Pretty sure they are similar or the same.

My local Walmart just started stocking three different Prestone formulations 50/50 mix sold in 1/2 gallon jugs for $6.97 each. They had Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Nissan, and European.

Zerex Asian Formula=WM Valvoline Asian Vehicle, same thing. The latter can generally found for less cost. Both long service interval Asian PHOATS, you pick the tint/color to match the oem tint. Blue for Honda, Nissan, Subaru. Pink/red-ish for Toyota. Checking lately at local WM VAV scarce on the shelves, no blue. Hope they restock, good value oem aftermarket equivalent LL phoat.

As for the mentioned Prestone Asian, thumbs down from me. It contains the inhibitor 2eha found in Dex which no true Asian PHOAT AF uses. 'I' consider it to be somewhat false advertising and only comes in half gallon premix. Caveat Emptor.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

As for the mentioned Prestone Asian, thumbs down from me. It contains the inhibitor 2eha found in Dex which no true Asian PHOAT AF uses. 'I' consider it to be somewhat false advertising and only comes in half gallon premix. Caveat Emptor.

If that is true, that sounds like a huge potential liability lawsuit given 2-eha's known incompatibility with some gasket materials.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Originally Posted by Sayjac
..As for the mentioned Prestone Asian, thumbs down from me. It contains the inhibitor 2eha found in Dex which no true Asian PHOAT AF uses. 'I' consider it to be somewhat false advertising and only comes in half gallon premix. Caveat Emptor.

If that is true, that sounds like a huge potential liability lawsuit given 2-eha's known incompatibility with some gasket materials.
Definitely true as evidenced in this thread. As for potential liability, they say on the bottle "compatible with Asian based PHOAT technologies". So that CYA wording could mitigate any liability. That said, not a true Asian PHOAT AF in my observation.

So no real proof about the red and blue compared to wallymart Prestone flavor. My reading, long ago was that Zerex red was a true substitute for the Toyota red.

slomo

Made by the same company to Toyota OEM specs as Toyota brand does not mean "and it's the same formula sold as Zerex at Autozone". I am getting my Toyota Corolla drain & filled Saturday and asked my mechanic to order Toyota fluid from the dealer. He said I will have to order it we use universal fluid. I will gladly pay the difference for the Toyota coolant.

Originally Posted by circuitsmith
I know from experience Zerex Asian looks and smells the same as Toyota SLLC.
I figure they're close to identical.
I wasn't into it enough to do a taste test.

Looks and tastes. Guess we need some SDS sheets to tell more.

slomo

Originally Posted by circuitsmith
I know from experience Zerex Asian looks and smells the same as Toyota SLLC.
I figure they're close to identical.
I wasn't into it enough to do a taste test.

Looks and tastes. Guess we need some SDS sheets to tell more.

slomo
SDS sheets are not required to show proprietary formula ingredients.

Back