Which e-book reader is best, Kindle or ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Calibre on my laptop. Everytime I try to convert a PDF book to an epub is messes up the spacing, paragraphs, and more. Quite useless so far. Maybe it does a better job on kindle files->epub.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by Silk
A Kindle is useless...but can be made to be very usefull.

Wait, what? Kindle cannot display epub books? Can it do PDF books?

As I said-yes you can read PDF books on Kindle. And there are software converters for epub books. And SILK is spreading baseless propaganda.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
A Kindle is useless...but can be made to be very usefull.

Wait, what? Kindle cannot display epub books? Can it do PDF books?

As I said-yes you can read PDF books on Kindle. And there are software converters for epub books. And SILK is spreading baseless propaganda.

Calibre is free and can make a mobi file (Kindle) from just about any digital reader file

I have a house full of books, and don't buy them anymore - so the library is a very important part of my life. I have had a Kobo for 5 years, and it's been great, but it doesn't do colour or pictures....

Loneranger, this has been a great thread and might just actually get me to turn off this computer and start reading.

Anyway - Silk, this caught my eye as my wife and I went to Best Buy last evening to check out the readers, the Paperwhite was pretty cool, easy to read but I have to say the Kindle Oasis was very cool with the side tab, kind of fun to handle.

Anyway to Kobo, we got home lat night and I decided to start up a Samsung 9+ inch tablet I have had laying around this year, its way less then 2 years old hasnt been used much at all and was just about to ebay it in the coming week, no use for it.

So I downloaded the Kobo app.
Im impressed and think I am going to give it a try for a while, see if I get back into reading, certainly displays really nice on my tablet and of course has color, it even lets you pick the backlight color and picking in Sepia, the background displays much like a dedicated reader, much more heavy of course but around the house for now its great to see what I may like next if I get into reading.

If anyone has any further suggestions for apps to try on a Galaxy tablet I would love to hear, Im really impressed by the Kobo app but I know NOTHING about this whole subject.

This may be all know to you all as I never ever read anything on a reader, so entirely new to me. I have so many computers in my home between me and my wife and my wifes home office that Im getting tired of them, they serve a purpose for sure but after a few decades of them I have explored all I need too and they have their set purpose now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back