Good example of a "clean" car in the rustbelt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by irv

I just spent $650 dollars on my son's certified/safetied 08 Malibu!
mad.gif
It had the notorious Malibu front end clunk that I thought would be an easy fix but $650 later with new A arms and bushings and a front end alignment most is good now. It was noted that maybe a new PS rack would be needed as well and I am to keep an eye on it.

As far as rust proofing goes, I always say to myself, where can you get a $150 paint and body job. No matter what, having your vehicle rust proofed is many well spent, imo, especially for us CDN's and those just south of us in the snowbelt states.

Fingers crossed that both of our sons have good luck with their new (to them) cars! And no speeding tickets/accidents too!

I have been pretty lucky with my little Honda, I never had it rust proofed but it's in really good shape underneath, no sign of trouble. The mechanic I use at my nearby Honda dealer is a high school friend of mine and when he had the car up on the hoist last year he commented on how good it looked still. I guess Honda has made great strides in that regard, I remember when Civics used to rot out very quickly up here. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with my Civic, part of me almost wants it to rot out so I'd have an excuse to replace it with something newer, but a bigger part of me wants to see this sucker keep on going and continue to be the reliable workhorse that it's been for the past 7 years for me.

X2!

Some vehicles are definitely better built than others, that is for sure, and if I had to guess, I'd say you likely take better care of your vehicles compared to a lot in this Province, Patman?

As long as I can remember, since I was 16 and just starting to drive, I've either sprayed the undercarriage of my vehicles with the garden hose or have used some type of undercoating spray.
To date, I have never owned a rusty vehicle in all my driving years and I don't plan on changing that. I got my son's car sprayed shortly after I purchased it and explained to him the importance of doing it as well as showing him some obvious vehicles who likely have never had it done.

I think I have him convinced, hopefully?

When I was shopping for a beater I looked my my Camry, seemed like it was sitting for a long time on CL for not needing much other than tires and paint. I started my inspection in the normal manner--get under the car first. I got up and asked where the car was from. Came up from Arizona a few years prior.

I almost bought it right then and there. Gave full price in the end, I couldn't have gone down south and done much better, not after considering all costs.

Not sure how I can steer my kids on cars, they don't seem a bit interested it seems.

Originally Posted by irv

Some vehicles are definitely better built than others, that is for sure, and if I had to guess, I'd say you likely take better care of your vehicles compared to a lot in this Province, Patman?

I take care of the Corvette the best (it doesn't even see rain, let alone snow or salt) and I take good care of the BMW (making sure it gets washed regularily in the winter) But as far as my Honda goes, I have never really taken much care of it at all. The first year I had it I would make sure it was clean and waxed but since then it has rarely seen a car wash. That's why I'm shocked that it isn't all rusted out, as the only time the salt gets washed off the car in the winter is when it rains! Maybe the first owner had some sort of lifetime rust proofing applied that has helped in this regard perhaps?

Originally Posted by supton

Not sure how I can steer my kids on cars, they don't seem a bit interested it seems.

I hear you. Mine don't seem that interested either, but then again, their first car will be my car anyway..

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by supton

I hear you. Mine don't seem that interested either, but then again, their first car will be my car anyway..

Yeah, I plan to hand down cars. My brothers and I had to get jobs to afford our first rides; my wife and I would gladly give ours cars so that we could get out of driving them around after school. At least one car anyhow, they can carpool or "earn" the privilege by driving the other around as needed. Not new ones of course, they'll get something worn but usable.

My son is disabled and won't be turning wrenches. My daughter... I try not to be sexist but so far mechanical things aren't her forte. I plan to do what I can with them but so far they've had zero desire to even drive on the backroads.

Originally Posted by JTK
Coming from a family who's owned lots of Subarus over a ~30yr period, it is odd to see the exterior of this Forester so clean compared to the underside. I have never seen one with that much floor and unibody being gone and the rest looking so good. They usually go more proportionally. It is a 16yr/old, rust belt Subaru. Something that is ALWAYS going to be a horrible risk. A used purchase I would never recommend to someone.

On the Krown topic. I know it's been talked about here, but if you intend to be a long term owner of the vehicle and you plan on doing yearly re-sprays, Ziebart is the way to go. The ~$600 upfront cost is tough to swallow, but the yearly re-sprays are free provided you don't go beyond a year.

You might want to watch this......

https://youtu.be/nXvl9nt57Kg

Wheelman, I finally got a look under my FIL's truck yesterday and the whole underside is sprayed with that black stuff. Yikes.

Originally Posted by wheelman1991
Originally Posted by JTK
Coming from a family who's owned lots of Subarus over a ~30yr period, it is odd to see the exterior of this Forester so clean compared to the underside. I have never seen one with that much floor and unibody being gone and the rest looking so good. They usually go more proportionally. It is a 16yr/old, rust belt Subaru. Something that is ALWAYS going to be a horrible risk. A used purchase I would never recommend to someone.

On the Krown topic. I know it's been talked about here, but if you intend to be a long term owner of the vehicle and you plan on doing yearly re-sprays, Ziebart is the way to go. The ~$600 upfront cost is tough to swallow, but the yearly re-sprays are free provided you don't go beyond a year.

You might want to watch this......

https://youtu.be/nXvl9nt57Kg
And provided Ziebart doesn't leave town.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

True, although they've been in my neck of the woods forever. I recall my brother using them decades ago on a Ford pickup, but at that time, or maybe it was the package he bought, was just an oil spray and he never went back for resprays.

My bad on the recommendation there! I didn't see that Youtube clip and understand you can't believe everything you see/read online, but I believe that one. I had no idea they still used the rubbery, tar like coating, confirmed by the look of my FIL's 2017 Nissan Frontier he had treated by Ziebart a week or two ago. They told him they drilled and sprayed the doors, sills, etc with the oil based spray, but all I saw was the sea of black goo on the entire underneath of his basically spotless, brand new truck.
frown.gif

Makes me so glad I used Krown on my Ram.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

True, although they've been in my neck of the woods forever. I recall my brother using them decades ago on a Ford pickup, but at that time, or maybe it was the package he bought, was just an oil spray and he never went back for resprays.

My bad on the recommendation there! I didn't see that Youtube clip and understand you can't believe everything you see/read online, but I believe that one. I had no idea they still used the rubbery, tar like coating, confirmed by the look of my FIL's 2017 Nissan Frontier he had treated by Ziebart a week or two ago. They told him they drilled and sprayed the doors, sills, etc with the oil based spray, but all I saw was the sea of black goo on the entire underneath of his basically spotless, brand new truck.
frown.gif

Makes me so glad I used Krown on my Ram.

Looks minty underneath my Ram.

WP_20180926_14_44_06_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180926_14_48_09_Pro (2).jpg

That is an example of someone who didn't actually look at the car or have a pre-purchase inspection done before buying it. They are extremely lucky they got their money back.

bring that 4runner up here to maine, without rust proofing, it would be rotted out. how much liquid calcium do they apply in WV.

6yr old vehichles look like their 10 tys old up here

Originally Posted by GenSan
Here's a 1997 Toyota 4Runner that is "clean"

[Linked Image]

Spray can applications work great to hit those known rust areas per vehicle places or if one chooses to skip a year. When I did my son's oil change recently, I took a can of Krown with me under there and sprayed in and around his subframe and every other area that I thought could use it. Was it overkill has he just had his car rust proofed in August? Likely, but I had nothing else to do while waiting for all his oil to drain.
grin2.gif

When I get around to doing my wife's and my trucks snow tires, I'll spray in and around areas as well.

Originally Posted by fixitup219
nothing beats yamalube chain lube (fluid film is a joke)
crisco is cheap even free if its waste vegetable shortening from a fat fryer
or your own drain waste motor oil or ATF or veggie oil

Could I trouble you to specifiy, exactly, which Yamalube you mean (I think there are several). Even a photo of the stuff you use? Please and Thank You!

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Originally Posted by fixitup219
nothing beats yamalube chain lube (fluid film is a joke)
crisco is cheap even free if its waste vegetable shortening from a fat fryer
or your own drain waste motor oil or ATF or veggie oil

Could I trouble you to specifiy, exactly, which Yamalube you mean (I think there are several). Even a photo of the stuff you use? Please and Thank You!

He said Yamaha "Chain" lube, not Yamalube. I would assume their chain lubes are all the same? Personally, if their chain lube is priced anything like their oils and filters, I'd look at something else like a can of Krown or Rust Check.

When I rode Moto X bikes, we referred to chain lube as fling as it quickly flung/washed off. Not saying it wouldn't do something, but I'd be hard pressed to believe it would be as good as sprays like Krown, Rust Check or Fluid Film.

Last edited:
I acknowlege ur comment re the Krown and the Rust Check. Not sure re the Fluid Film tho...

I refer to Yamalube - On-Road Chain Lube... two variants, and Yamalube Off-Road chain lube. All Yamalube.

Yamalube - Offroad Chain Lube.JPG

Yamalube - On-road Chain Lube.JPG

Yamalube - On-road Chain Lube - White Graphite, Other Alternative.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
I acknowlege ur comment re the Krown and the Rust Check. Not sure re the Fluid Film tho...

I refer to Yamalube - On-Road Chain Lube... two variants, and Yamalube Off-Road chain lube. All Yamalube.

My mistake, I didn't think you thought he meant chain lube?

FF is a great product, although a tad expensive, I think it might do better than the Yamaha chain lube? If the price is the same/similar or cheaper, I'd be curious myself to see if it actually worked?
Personally, again, I'd try to stick with a known rust preventer like Krown or Rust Check if available?

What I really wanna get is the Bilt Hamber S50 for boxed in sections and UA for the general undercarriage. It'd have to ship ocean freight / TDG (transportation of dangerous goods) - meaning $$$$$$ - from the UK where it's mfd or from Aus or NZ. It apparently is "the business" re waxy self-healing unsercoat / rustproofing. Then, as well, scuff then prime then topcoat all dudo members + subframe steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back