YouTube Posters Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I refuse to create a Google account, because Google.

I repeatedly visit a number of car-repair/maintenance channels and antique radio and TV restoration channels. Lacking a Google account, two-way communication isn't possible. Does YouTube reveal my ISP, for example, so the posters know I'm a repeat lurker, at least?

Nope. There are statistics that YT creators can see for the sake of analytics, but you individually are not seen to them.

^^^ Not a thing. I simply loathe Google and refuse to voluntarily give up any information about myself to it. But at the same time I'd like those posters to know I appreciate the work they do.

Dude what? The amount of data being generated every hour on YouTube means you're a fly peeing in the wind.

If you have an android phone running Google play services you're already giving them more data than you wish.

You're on this board. ip information every time you use it.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
What exactly are you worried about?

Your nose is alarmingly long this morning.
Why would anyone want to disclose their secrets of life, especially on a world-wide website like this one?

Privacy does matter and he has a right to question help on keeping his info private at places like Google. His personal life need-not be shared, in exchange for help.

Originally Posted by DdDd
If you have an android phone running Google play services you're already giving them more data than you wish.

Why in the name of all that's holy would I use, let alone possess, an Android phone? You missed the words "loathe" and "Google" in my second post?

You're on this board. ip information every time you use it.

That's of little or no consequence. BITOG doesn't want to stick an electronic ear in every room of my house and on my TV, along with a camera, nor does it track me from here to Timbuktu trying to sell me everything from socks to caskets and sell to insurance companies reports on any visits to medical sites. Besides, how do you know I'm not running ad blockers and a VPN?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways

I repeatedly visit a number of car-repair/maintenance channels and antique radio and TV restoration channels. Lacking a Google account, two-way communication isn't possible. Does YouTube reveal my ISP, for example, so the posters know I'm a repeat lurker, at least?

I totally agree. I have Google blocked in my hosts file.

To answer your question, the creators see how many views their videos get (you can see this as a youtube user) and the creators most likely see how many unique viewers watched particular video. If you want to support them, view their videos without using an ad blocker so they get paid for the ad impressions.

They will not have a way to know that you are a repeat viewer across videos but by viewing you are supporting. If you want to know more, look up Google Analytics educational courses.

There's no ad blocker I can find for my iPad that blocks YouTube ads. The only recourse is to ignore YouTube or pay outrageously high ad protection money every month, requiring that I bare my soul to Google, which, even more than Putin's Facebook, controls the world.

Little-known fact: Google cornered the tinfoil market, then killed it because it was discovered by a Russian inventor working in his mother's basement that aluminum-foil hats don't work.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
What exactly are you worried about?

Your nose is alarmingly long this morning.
Why would anyone want to disclose their secrets of life, especially on a world-wide website like this one?

Privacy does matter and he has a right to question help on keeping his info private at places like Google. His personal life need-not be shared, in exchange for help.

Oh whatever. What 'secrets of life' are you disclosing to Google? What aspects of your personal life are they finding out about you? Where exactly are you providing this embarrassing, incriminating, potentially life-ruining information to them?

I kinda agree with you about Google, but now you are just being insulting to Vegas marriages. I am at a loss though to come up with a better metaphor.

Your naivety and Google is a marriage made in Vegas.

How soon they forget.

Didn't read the article too closely, did you?

Again, I fail to see where your personal information is is being collected. Please explain it to me.

If you really don't understand that you're being owned by the scores of ad farms on the net with Google being the largest by far, then nothing I could say would help you understand. I'm sure you know all about web trackers and their ubiquity. But here goes, anyway.

Phone me, at your expense (trackers make you pay for their bandwidth) for a single day, and with each phone call tell me where you are, why you are there, for how long, what you purchased, why you had a medical appointment, the meds you bought and where you purchased them and why, the bordellos you may frequent (not saying you do — it's just an example, so cool your jets), your "special interest" when visiting them, how long you were there, how long you were at the next one followed by your visit to the local courthouse to check the docket under the name Feeder, Bottom and the column listing the charges, six bail-bondsman offices, a dozen car-insurance companies and six body shops, a tire store, a car-stereo store and at last a store selling suits for $49.95.

At that point you discover you have to phone me for every move you make for the next 30 years, which is how long most tracker cookies last before they self-delete, along with Flash tracking super cookies that can't be deleted because Adobe planted them deep in the operating system.

Tell me that's not creepy. But for you, probably not.

P.S. (Requiring an edit)

The ad farms (in this case, me, because of the phone calls) then sell the information to any and all buyers, including health-insurance and car-insurance companies, some police forces or their stooges, department stores and other ad farms, some, like Google, with computer farms the size of continents.

If tracking me and everyone else is worth the billions Google spends on it, it's worth it to me to see that it doesn't.

Last edited:
Surf using your browser's incognito mode, and use uBlock Origin. You can also turn off javascript (and the new uBlock Origin will do this).

So you hate Google, cool.

So you have credit cards? Most retailers are selling your transaction data these days, often back to Google!

Go to the pharmacy? Your prescription data is not private anymore. Thanks obamacare!

Companies like these are creepy cause they're run by nerds who aren't hiding the sausage factory. The transparency makes it creepy but trust me everyone in old tech is mining you too. For far longer than Google.

Originally Posted by DdDd
So you hate Google, cool.

So you have credit cards? Most retailers are selling your transaction data these days, often back to Google!

Go to the pharmacy? Your prescription data is not private anymore. Thanks obamacare!

Companies like these are creepy cause they're run by nerds who aren't hiding the sausage factory. The transparency makes it creepy but trust me everyone in old tech is mining you too. For far longer than Google.

Yep. Its sad, but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back