A3 or A5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you be willing to give up the protection of A3 for the fuel economy benefits of A5? Or the other way around? Or is it a wash?

Well I don't have the engine on a test stand so I cannot specify or measure the metrics. It's, just, a general question...

Does it matter in a shorter OCI ? Im using A5 im my volvo because they call for it . I would rather use A3 if the protection was better .

If your Volvo calls for A5 I would stay with that. An excellent oil and much better than an API or ILSAC oil. If your over stressing your vehicle A3 would offer better protection.

Im using Pennzoil Plat. 5w30 . I guess what i have found out lately that this new engine volvo has which is 2.0t 4cyl. GDI has had a few problems with bad piston rings . Makes me want to do shorter OCI and a better wear oil . I have 22,000 miles of power train warranty left .

I use an A3/B3 because I keep my cars a looong time and want the added insurance. If your car calls for A5, it's to meet the CAFE goals, not to protect the engine.

I'm with you (look at the age of my vehicles). Thinking of changing the Ranger to A3 for this reason. Not sure If I agree with you on the A5/CAFE thing.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I'm with you (look at the age of my vehicles). Thinking of changing the Ranger to A3 for this reason. Not sure If I agree with you on the A5/CAFE thing.

Does CAFE sounds familiar with A5 vis-a-vis A3 ?

A1.0 Capture.PNG

A1.3 Hths.PNG

A2.5 FE.PNG

Although I agree there is no FE requirement for A3 I find it hard that HTHS >2.9 qualifies as a CAFE oil. I agree with your statement though!

A3/B4 every time! Higher HTHS will result in lower wear.

It will be marginal, it may not benefit you in any way(If the car rots out before the engine) but it will result in less wear.

Well I don't have the engine on a test stand so I cannot specify or measure the metrics. It's, just, a general question...

Which ever is the thinnest oil that is thick enough to adequately protect.

"CAFE-like," if you will, then. But the express reason given for lowering film strength was to lower viscosity to improve mileage

Would you be willing to give up the protection of A3 for the fuel economy benefits of A5? Or the other way around? Or is it a wash?

It's application specific and of course depends on the design of the engine. Higher HTHS doesn't always mean "better". I think there are very few people on this forum with the expertise who can unequivocally say one or there other. That being said, IF my particular engine were spec'd for either (say in a different market) then I might consider the other spec if my driving fell outside what the OE expected for my market.

For example if my market specs A3 but I was into trying to squeeze out MPG's and/or was really easy on the car then I'd might go with the A5. There's no reason not to. In my own world BMW moved the US fleet to LL01FE 0w30 and lighter. This oil has a HTHS under 3.5 but I have no ideal of the underlying ACEA rating because it's a bit of a unicorn spec.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
[ In my own world BMW moved the US fleet to LL01FE 0w30 and lighter. This oil has a HTHS under 3.5 but I have no ideal of the underlying ACEA rating because it's a bit of a unicorn spec.
Definitely not ACEA A3.
smile.gif

It's application specific and of course depends on the design of the engine. Higher HTHS doesn't always mean "better". I think there are very few people on this forum with the expertise who can unequivocally say one or there other. That being said, IF my particular engine were spec'd for either (say in a different market) then I might consider the other spec if my driving fell outside what the OE expected for my market.

For example if my market specs A3 but I was into trying to squeeze out MPG's and/or was really easy on the car then I'd might go with the A5. There's no reason not to. In my own world BMW moved the US fleet to LL01FE 0w30 and lighter. This oil has a HTHS under 3.5 but I have no ideal of the underlying ACEA rating because it's a bit of a unicorn spec.

The BMW TPT 0W-30 LL-01 FE bottles have A5/B5 on the back, in the same place the LL-01 has A3/B4.

Originally Posted by drtyler

The BMW TPT 0W-30 LL-01 FE bottles have A5/B5 on the back, in the same place the LL-01 has A3/B4.

Well there you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back