South Australia Energy Experiment - revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
https://www.brightnewworld.org/media/2018/1/23/complementarity-not-competition

Late last year, there was a remarkable response to an article published to RenewEconomy, which provided details of the response of the grid scale battery in South Australia to correcting the frequency dip caused by the loss of a unit of coal generation in the neighbouring NEM region of Victoria.

The level of interest is understandable. A tangible demonstration of this frequency control is of interest when so few such facilities are operating. What the article also showed (and RenewEconomy curiously chose to mock rather than highlight) was an amazing complementarity of technologies. The problem (loss of frequency) was solved by both the newest participant and one of the oldest, together, more effectively than it would have been otherwise. No, a crisis was not imminent and no, the battery could not have done it all (and the coal plant actually could have). Nonetheless the cooperation, intended or not, was elegant. This complementarity strikes me as good news. Those designing Australia's policy should be looking for complementarity.

RenewEconomy instead went with teetotal metaphors of the old-west:

Gladstone injected more than Tesla did back into the grid, and took the frequency back up to its normal levels of 50Hz, but by then Tesla had already put its gun back in its holster and had wandered into the bar for a glass of milk.

This is no more-or-less accurate than suggesting the battery realised it had run out of ammo, and ran from the corral before the fight was over. In my opinion, it's equally silly. Each metaphorical effort betrays a bias that we should be excising from our energy discussions, rather than promoting.

So, the giddy triumphalist flavour of what was, in point of fact, an informative article is dangerously missing the point. It is another analysis applauding what was an emergency intervention (the battery) to correct a destabilisation that was wrought though an accelerated uptake of a-synchronous renewable generation. Wind and solar uptake displaced the underlying stability of the system and outpaced our response. It's a fix to a problem that was only very recently created. That problem (declining frequency control) was, until very recently, scarcely even acknowledged as relevant in the renewable energy discussion.

It's worth a quick recap of the journey from the point of view of Bright New World and previously the blog Decarbonise SA, and some of the main sources of data.

In a paper published in 2015 with co-authors Corey Bradshaw and Barry Brook, we identified the risk posed by loss of ancillary services like frequency control:

Another reliability issue is the provision of necessary ancillary services to the network to ensure systems stability and power quality, such as frequency-control capability and reactive support (Australian Energy Market Operator Ltd & Electranet, 2014). These services are provided by ‘synchronous' generators, typically traditional coal and gas generation or hydro (in some states), where electricity is generated through turbines spinning in synch at close to 50 Hz…as shown, increased wind participation displaces traditional (non-hydro) synchronous generators from the market. The associated ancillary services reduce or disappear (Australian Energy Market Operator Ltd & Electranet, 2014)…Proposed solutions to mitigate this risk include payments for minimum synchronous generation to remain online, development of a new market in ancillary services, network augmentation and even curtailing supply from wind and photovoltaics (Australian Energy Market Operator Ltd & Electranet, 2014). This again points to system costs that are not represented by technology-specific metrics such as capital cost or levelised cost of electricity of the renewable generator. Such costs would spread nation-wide were other states to follow South Australia's lead, with each new addition of variable renewable energy eroding the buffer of reliability on which the overall system depends and increasing their implicit operating subsidy.

[Aside: the Australian Energy Market Operator was sending this information in unmistakable terms in a series of reports called The South Australian Electricity Report. We were not soothsayers, we were just reading with open minds. End aside.]

Approximately one year later, as South Australian electricity was entering dire straights, Decarbonise SA reflected on this paper (with a self-explanatory title) The unfolding energy crisis in South Australia was foreseeable…and foreseen .

As the discussion continued, I published Ancilliary wha? Ancilliary services, a piece which sought to highlight the overlooked value of part of the grid that no one cared about…until it went missing. In this piece I described ancillary services as:

‘all the important ingredients in running a reliable electricity system that you don't know about…Like most necessary support services, we acknowledge their necessity when they start to go away'.

*snip*

There's much more to the article, so I would humbly suggest reading it in its entirety before commenting.

In short, renewables created a problem of grid instability and now the batteries are hailed as perfect tools to manage that instability, however the cause of it is conveniently omitted and traditional plants are being blamed for having a slow response.

Sounds wonderful.

The way it is / was explained to me , a utility ( in the USA ) has to have enough reserve capacity ( hydro or fossil fuel ) capacity to carry the load , if the wind is not blowing or the sun is not shining ( which happens every 24 hours ) .

Thus , the utility has a lot of capital invested , that is often not utilized . And not generating revenue .

Is this what the report is talking about ? Most of the report went over my head .

By the way , gas turbine generator sets can be brought on line rapidly and taken off line rapidly . But the fuel efficiency / cost is not that grate . And you also have the problem , when they are off line . Underutilized capital investment .

I have also read that in times of high summer temperatures ( greatest HVAC load ) , wind and solar under perform ? Do not know if that is true . Maybe for wind ?

And during drought , hydro power output is diminished .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
The way it is / was explained to me , a utility ( in the USA ) has to have enough reserve capacity ( hydro or fossil fuel ) capacity to carry the load , if the wind is not blowing or the sun is not shining ( which happens every 24 hours ) .

Thus , the utility has a lot of capital invested , that is often not utilized . And not generating revenue .

Is this what the report is talking about ? Most of the report went over my head .

By the way , gas turbine generator sets can be brought on line rapidly and taken off line rapidly . But the fuel efficiency / cost is not that grate . And you also have the problem , when they are off line . Underutilized capital investment .

I have also read that in times of high summer temperatures ( greatest HVAC load ) , wind and solar under perform ? Do not know if that is true . Maybe for wind ?

And during drought , hydro power output is diminished .

During the summer, solar has the longest cycles, so its performance is better. The summer is also the least windy series of months with generally the highest demand, requiring other sources. Ontario wind turbine performance this summer, and past summers, has been horrific. We had days where they were using more power than they were producing.

In the case of the battery, yes, a GT fired up to jump in and make up for the lost generation, but it was that period of startup (so it's a pretty small window) where the battery intervened and was heralded as a saviour. However, the battery exists due to the unreliability that has become the norm in that market due to the removal of traditional generation sources from the mix. It's an effort to fix the damage caused by the policy that drove up rates and led to high penetration levels of wind and solar.

Below is what a typical summer day in Ontario looked like. We have roughly 5,000MW of wind turbines installed.

IMG_0603.JPG

There is no way around under utilized assets to make grid stable. Period. Coal plants, nuclear, CCGT, hydro, solar, wind, you name it.

The problem is the pay structure is wrong, under utilized assets are not paid for to be on stand by, now solar and wind got all the profit as much as they can, and the older assets are not paid and have to deal with the under utilization cost. It is a financial problem, pay them enough to stay as reserve and you will be fine (of course that makes renewable more expensive as well).

Grid improvement (across large area, like the whole America continent) can help reduce the volatility, but that's money spent and investment not always utilized as well.

I don't want to hijack, but I was chatting to some Australian EE about the whole blackout (would brownout be the correct term? LOL) and Tesla's batteries and I couldn't really make too much sense of it since I'm not an EE. Can anybody make sense of this for me?:

G'day mate, the batteries are an active device and use smarts to add power at grid frequency. Essentially they are a slave and cannot directly influence the frequency. A rotating generator can be sped up to directly increase frequency during times of high demand (and fault conditions). As they have a large rotational inertia and cannot be slowed easily they resist the drop in frequency. If they [the batteries] try to add frequency the mismatch will actually cause a short circuit effect between them and the grid and will draw fault level current.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
There is no way around under utilized assets to make grid stable. Period. Coal plants, nuclear, CCGT, hydro, solar, wind, you name it.

The problem is the pay structure is wrong, under utilized assets are not paid for to be on stand by, now solar and wind got all the profit as much as they can, and the older assets are not paid and have to deal with the under utilization cost. It is a financial problem, pay them enough to stay as reserve and you will be fine (of course that makes renewable more expensive as well).

Grid improvement (across large area, like the whole America continent) can help reduce the volatility, but that's money spent and investment not always utilized as well.

OK, but that ignores the fact that under utilization is vastly increased with wind/solar due to their intermittency, inability to be dispatchable and unreliability.

Example:
Ontario has 13,009MW of Nuclear and 8,472MW of Hydro-Electric.

Ontario also has ~5,000MW of wind now and 10,227MW of gas, much of which was installed to deal with the intermittency of wind.

So, looking at the above numbers, with Hydro and Nuclear Ontario has 21,480MW of capacity with those two sources. So on a hot summer day where demand hits 24,000MW, we'd have to fire up the difference; 3,000MW, in gas capacity, assuming hydro can be maxed out. Later, when demand drops, we could theoretically shed all the hydro to follow demand. Of course demand actually doesn't get that low. But spillage at a dam costs nothing; most of these assets are 100 years old and not staffed.

Now, let's ditch the nuclear and replace it with wind. At 35% CF, you'd need to install 37,166MW of wind to match the output of the nuclear plants. On top of that, you'd still need sufficient gas capacity to replace it on days where it doesn't function. We had days where 10MW showed up. So, that's an additional 13,009MW of gas. So you'd need ~23,300MW of gas capacity, some of it which would be used for peaker usage, others which would constantly be on standby to make up for the variability in the wind output.

So:
- with our nuclear scenario, let's say we need 5,000MW of gas generation to accommodate peaker needs and maintenance outages, giving us a total installed generation capacity of 26,480MW with 5,000MW of reserve.
- with our wind scenario, we need 23,300MW of gas capacity to accommodate peaker needs and wind replacement, so we end up with a total installed generation capacity of 68,938MW with 23,300MW of reserve.

Also with our wind situation there will be days where we have massive excess and it would need to be exported or curtailed. Not a huge issue if curtailment has no cost, but up here, we pay for it, so it increases our cost of generation significantly. Often these periods of curtailment happen when demand is quite low, like 3AM on a fall day. Nobody else wants the power either.

Originally Posted by Pew
I don't want to hijack, but I was chatting to some Australian EE about the whole blackout (would brownout be the correct term? LOL) and Tesla's batteries and I couldn't really make too much sense of it since I'm not an EE. Can anybody make sense of this for me?:

G'day mate, the batteries are an active device and use smarts to add power at grid frequency. Essentially they are a slave and cannot directly influence the frequency. A rotating generator can be sped up to directly increase frequency during times of high demand (and fault conditions). As they have a large rotational inertia and cannot be slowed easily they resist the drop in frequency. If they [the batteries] try to add frequency the mismatch will actually cause a short circuit effect between them and the grid and will draw fault level current.

It's literally on contract to provide frequency control as one of its functions due to the loss of inertia (rotating generator) which have traditionally provided these services.

Shannow has touched on it before, but there is the risk of, when you have multiple batteries trying to correct frequency simultaneously, causing oscillation and the whole works goes down.

Here's a good read:
https://www.engineering.com/Designe...lternative-for-Frequency-Regulation.aspx

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
[qu
Shannow has touched on it before, but there is the risk of, when you have multiple batteries trying to correct frequency simultaneously, causing oscillation and the whole works goes down.

spx

If that is happening, its a problem with programming of the inverters, not an inherent problem with battery storage.

There's nothing really wrong with battery systems except they're crazy expensive.

Originally Posted by turtlevette
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
[qu

spx

If that is happening, its a problem with programming of the inverters, not an inherent problem with battery storage.

There's nothing really wrong with battery systems except they're crazy expensive.

And of course they impose a round-trip cost and do zero generation, as they are a storage medium.

It wasn't that this was happening, it was that it was a possibility, and yes, I'd agree that ultimately that would be a software problem, but software problems can be pretty big
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back