Kawasaki 25HP FH721V breakin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a zero turn mower with a Kawasaki 25HP FH721V vertical shaft 4 cycle air cooled engine.

Kawi basically recommends 30 weight or 10W30. The mechanics tell me that they motors do best on 30 weight. So far I've only got 8 hours on the unit but I have changed the oil 3 times with 30HD (Havoline).

Two questions:
1) How many hours should I put on this motor before switching to synthetic
2) Which one of the following would you use. I have a pretty good supply of all of them

- Delvac/T-SUV 5W40
- Castrol GC 0W30
- Mobil 1 10W30 (older Super Syn formula)

or should I just stick with
- Havoline 30HD or Trop Artic 10W30

Decisions, decision! I'm not trying to extend my OCI (at 2 quarts with the filter the money isn't an issue) but rather make sure the motor is well protected.

run the oil for 40 hours then change the oil and filter. Then its ready for syn. My ztr has a 23 kawi (420 hours) but it doesnt seem to fond of maxlife syn so far. So i might go back to 30 wt rotella or try some m1 0/30 that i have in my stash. I dont know what oil filter you are using but an ac1233 will work just fine. Use that # and cross ref it to other brands so you dont have to buy from the stealer. A clean air filter is key to small engine longevity. If you mow commercially or in dusty dry areas then consider a donaldson 3 stage air fiter system. It bolts right on and is standard equipment on exmark mowers. That will keep abrasives from entering your engine that the stock filter and wrap will not. Regardless of what dino oil you use, change it every 40 hours. Once a year remove the engine cover and remove any chaff as this retains heat. My last bit of advice is before you shut down the engine after a good run always let the engine run at say 1/3 throttle for 5 minutes so it can cool off.

The mower is a Hustler Super Mini Z. It comes stock with the Donaldson canister.

I have 1/2 dozen OEM oil filters but I also have some SuperTech ST4967.

I always run at about 1/3 throttle before shutting down. I don't mow commercially (just my own) but thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back