2 OILS both meeting Mercedes 229.51 - big cost delta

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 oils, both meeting Mercedes 229.51. Pennzoil Platinum Euro Synthetic Motor Oil 5w30 - 10 litres $64. Mobile 1 ESP 5w30, 10 litres, $172. Is Mobile 1 3 times better than Pennzoil. I think not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by RogerBacon
2 oils, both meeting Mercedes 229.51. Pennzoil Platinum Euro Synthetic Motor Oil 5w30 - 10 litres $64. Mobile 1 ESP 5w30, 10 litres, $172. Is Mobile 1 3 times better than Pennzoil. I think not.

Is that price difference everywhere or just where you shop?

Mobil 1 Euro is on Walmart Rollback price $22.88. It say it meets MB 229.3 & 229.5 not sure if it meets 229.31 or 229.51/52.
My car requires 229.31 I ended up buying Pennzoil Euro and it meets 229.31 & 229.51.
Can someone explain me Mobil 1 spec written on the bottle? Thanks

Is it 3 times better, do not know.
But its i better oil. It has much lower NOACK and lower SAPS which will extend life of DPF compare to Pennzoil, and that piece is uber expensive.
I used M1 ESP 5W30 and it spools faster then other oils in BMW 35d I had, it increases mpg. Somehow they manage to get ACEA C3 approval and C2. Also, unlike Pennzoil it meets VW 504.00/507.00 which has most stringent wear requirements among 5W30 oils.

Originally Posted by DallasTexas
Mobil 1 Euro is on Walmart Rollback price $22.88. It say it meets MB 229.3 & 229.5 not sure if it meets 229.31 or 229.51/52.
My car requires 229.31 I ended up buying Pennzoil Euro and it meets 229.31 & 229.51.
Can someone explain me Mobil 1 spec written on the bottle? Thanks

Two completely different oils.
You have numerous explanation about difference.
Bottom line:
MB229.51 for diesel engines. MB229.31 is what you need for that CDI, so MB229.51 is compatible just more stringent spec.
MB229.5 for gasoline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

But its i better oil. It has much lower NOACK and lower SAPS which will extend life of DPF compare to Pennzoil, and that piece is uber expensive.
I used M1 ESP 5W30 and it spools faster then other oils in BMW 35d I had, it increases mpg. Somehow they manage to get ACEA C3 approval and C2. Also, unlike Pennzoil it meets VW 504.00/507.00 which has most stringent wear requirements among 5W30 oils.

C2 requires a HTHS of
M1 don't say it's C2 approved but you can use it in a C2 application.

If I had an engine that needed a C2 oil for warranty purposed I'd pick up this oil in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bailes1992

C2 requires a HTHS of
M1 don't say it's C2 approved but you can use it in a C2 application.

If I had an engine that needed a C2 oil for warranty purposed I'd pick up this oil in a heartbeat!

Yes, its ays meets requirements (just for sake of being accurate, all other specs. are approved).
C2 has FE requirement, and that is achieved by lower HTHS. This oil meets that with HTHS of 3.58.
I can say that of all oils I used in BMW X5 35d, M1 actually increases mpg to the point where driver can notice that.

Originally Posted by zeng
C2 and C3 is mutually exclusive, if it matters.

Well, not if C3 meets performance requirements. C2 is FE requirement and apparently Mobil1 thinks their C3 is as fuel efficient as C2 oils.

Well, not if C3 meets performance requirements. C2 is FE requirement and apparently Mobil1 thinks their C3 is as fuel efficient as C2 oils.

Not as ACEA intended it to be .....
At Hths 3.5 cP, ESP 5W30 IS ACEA C3, it is NOT C2.

a Capture.PNG

aa Capture.PNG

Everyone on here likes to say that Mobil 1 5-30esp is a "think 30wt." How can a "thick 30 wt." give you better mileage??

I know stuff is more expensive in Canada but that Mobil 1 price is ridiculous. Something is wrong there.

Not as ACEA intended it to be .....
At Hths 3.5 cP, ESP 5W30 IS ACEA C3, it is NOT C2.

I know that very well, that does not mean C3 cannot meet fuel efficiency requirements of C2. Reason why HTHS in C2 is lower is to get FE. However, if oil manufacturer can cook oil that good to have C3 approval and still meets C2 FE requirement, they will advertise it that way. M1 ESP does not have C2 approval, but Mobil1 claims it meets C2 requirements too. C2 requirements are there to get end result, and end result is fuel efficiency.
Using Mobil1 ESP 5W30 for years and sometimes other oils, I can confirm that there is substantial fuel consumption improvement with that oil in comparison to for example BMW TPT 5W30 that I used occasionally or Valvoline 5W40 MST that I used bit more often than TPT.

I have 160,000 miles on my om642 which called for 229.51. I pretty much run whichever oil I want. Usually a diesel specific oil. I go with 5-7,000 mile changes. 10k is too much. It usually consumes around 1 quart with that interval. I honestly believe the spec was made in earnest with the life of the emissions components in mind but that the 229.51 spec is inferior to other diesel oils.

I know that very well, that does not mean C3 cannot meet fuel efficiency requirements of C2. Reason why HTHS in C2 is lower is to get FE. However, if oil manufacturer can cook oil that good to have C3 approval and still meets C2 FE requirement, they will advertise it that way. M1 ESP does not have C2 approval, but Mobil1 claims it meets C2 requirements too. C2 requirements are there to get end result, and end result is fuel efficiency.
Using Mobil1 ESP 5W30 for years and sometimes other oils, I can confirm that there is substantial fuel consumption improvement with that oil in comparison to for example BMW TPT 5W30 that I used occasionally or Valvoline 5W40 MST that I used bit more often than TPT.

Claiming an oil at Hths(150*C) of 3.5 cP as meeting or exceeding the requirements of C2-12 or C2-16 is a bunch of baloney,as evidenced by previous ACEA images , IMHO.

Last edited:

Claiming an oil at Hths(150*C) of 3.5 cP as meeting or exceeding the requirements of C2-12 or C2-16 is a bunch of baloney,as evidenced by previous ACEA images , IMHO.

If it was Redline I would say it is bunch of baloney. However, Mobil1 is not as fast to claim meets and exceeds, actually this is only oil where they make such claim.
One thing about Mobil1 is that they will not throw various claims around. For example, we all know that their 0W40 is probably going to be OK in BMW that requires LL-01. However, Mobil1 does not have approval and they do not claim that it does meet or exceeds that requirement.
Redline for example is different. They claim a lot of stuff, then they want approval, and than have to completely change chemistry of oil, produce mediocre oil and than lie on various web sites about BMW requirements (in this particular case).

For Mobil, check Imperial Oil, and you won't be paying $17/litre. In any event, Blue Wave does a little better on PCMOs than does Imperial Oil, though Imperial Oil can do a bit better on HDEOs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back