Why chain drive on the left in 'cycles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's mostly because of engine configuration. There are some bikes out there with chain drive on the right. Most of them are 2 stroke dirt bikes though.

Just for starters, Triumph Bonneville and BMW F800GS

TriumphBonnevilleT100.jpg

BMWF800GS.jpg

Kickstarts used to be on the right side. At least on the bikes I have owned and ridden in those days. More room was available on the left side so often it was expedient to locate the chain there.

Now it makes no difference.

Rod

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Shifter foot lever left, chain left?

I would imagine right break pedal right brake caliper would have influence. Less complicated routing of brake lines.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I think it's mostly because of engine configuration.

Yep, depends on what side of the engine the transmission output shaft is on ... could be on either side depending on exact engine design. I don't think having the chain on one side or the other makes any real difference.

The engine usually rotates clockwise when viewed from the right hand side...most bikes in the early days used a chain primary, and the gearbox kept the rotation the same. A gear primary will reverse the rotation, how it ends up in the final drive denotes where the chain is. My Moto Guzzi Stornello has a 3 gear primary, it uses the cam drive as the centre gear, and so chain on the left, and kickstarter also.

Kind of like early Mitsubishi and Honda having engines on the left - Mitsubishi had an extra shaft on the gearbox input...Honda ran it's engines anticlockwize.

Back when a 4 speed transmission was normal (Harley Big Twins), a sensible way to arrange the gears was to make 4th a direct (1:1) output by dogging the mainshaft to the main drive gear with a sliding shift clutch, and having the main drive gear splined to the output sprocket. It makes for a very strong, simple transmission. So imagine the transmission output sprocket shaft with the mainshaft (input) running through it. What you can't see is 4th gear inside the transmission case is actually part of that output shaft.

So as a previous poster pointed out, if the engine output is on the left side, in this configuration it makes a lot of sense for the transmission output to be on the same side.

And as a previous poster also pointed out, this makes it a real, real lot easier to install a strong kickstarter on the right side. Early Sportster kickstarts (output shaft on the right side) are still legendary for hurting people.

Originally Posted by Silk
My Moto Guzzi Stornello has a 3 gear primary, it uses the cam drive as the centre gear, and so chain on the left, and kickstarter also..

Oops, duh - I've owned this bike for 40 years, and took it out for a ride today, and oiled the chain first. It's on the right....

I always thought motorcycles traditionally had left hand chains due to the primary sprocket nut. When driving forward, it would always be having a tendency to keep the nut tight, especially if someone left the locking tab washer off. Also, rear brakes were right foot applied, and that made easy brake lever and connecting arm configuration.
Modern day, anything goes.

When I was younger, Japanese motorcycles had the final drive on the left, but European bikes had the final drive on the right. I always figured there was some arcane and likely arbitrary reason for it, probably to do with which direction they each traditionally had the crankshafts turn. I can tell you it was rough learning to kick the 600cc euro dirt bikes with our left legs! (Only a wuss would step off the bike to operate the left-side kickstarter with their right foot!
smile.gif
).

Then the euro dirt bikes suddenly switched and the chains (and kickstarters) were then on the same side the Japanese.

Originally Posted by beanoil
. Also, rear brakes were right foot applied, and that made easy brake lever and connecting arm configuration.

No, most rear brakes were on the left, gearlever on the right...down for up. Just another US law the rest of the world has to live with. I went for a ride on my Guzzi today - left foot brake, right foot gears, down for up...perfect, no mistakes with my feet, muscle memory says this is the right way. I guess it depends on the era you grew up in.

Originally Posted by Dyusik

I would imagine right break pedal right brake caliper would have influence. Less complicated routing of brake lines.

Probably.

Want to say "Wow!" check the rear brake linkage and plumbing on a Sportster. Spoiler: pedal is on the right, master cylinder on the left. And it works.

If you ever get the chance, look at the 1975 Sportster. Compliance with the legislation standardizing control configuration seems to have caught HD by surprise at the time.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Dyusik

Probably.

Want to say "Wow!" check the rear brake linkage and plumbing on a Sportster. Spoiler: pedal is on the right, master cylinder on the left. And it works.

Mine is on the right, 2 feet behind the pedal. Plumbing hops over to the other side right behind the rear cylinder. The HD design makes sense (not that it makes sense overall) to have the left brake, as there is a primary in the way of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back