Using Valvoline SynPower grease on door hinges

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got some squeaky car door hinges. I'm out of white lithium grease but got Valvoline SynPower grease loaded up in my grease gun that I use on my tie rod ends.

Can I just squirt and work some of that into the hinges?

Last edited:
I've used lubriplate motor assembly grease when I was out of white lithium grease. Worked very well it's still there 6 months later.

It has to be thin enough to penetrate and creep. Wurth HHS2000 is the holy grail but I like the chain lube idea. Maybe even chainsaw bar oil? it's pretty sticky.

Last edited:
Grease of any type usually doesn't work for hinges unless you can take the hinge apart or get the grease between the parts some how. That being said, if you can get the grease inside where it counts, synpower will work great. A lower solvent content lubricating oil like most gun oils are usually a better choice on hinges.

Last edited:
Give them a shot of WD, it will stop the noise right away and clean them, then come back in a few days and lube them. 3 in 1 would be better than the grease.

I use either Boeshield T-9 or Overhead Door garage door lube. The Boeshield is my favorite, penetrates well and dries to a waxy film. I'm sure Fluid Film would be similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back