Would you ever consider owning a Electric Hybrid/Full Electric Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I would. Probably a Hybrid unless ranges for full electric hit 500-600 miles or quick charging stations were plentiful.

Last edited:
Yes. %99 of my driving is under 100 miles, so it would work for me.
Concerns would be battery life and cost of battery replacement.
In 10 years the average vehicle may be quite different.

Yes, I would love to avoid gas stations and long lines if gas ever gets to be a problem again. I remember the 70's all too well. Depending upon your state electricity can be half the cost of gasoline to go one mile.
And half the cars have some kind of leaking fluid that is toxic to the water supply. Electric cars would eliminate most of the millions of gallons of leaked toxic fluids.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/451798.html

I have. '15 C-Max Hyb & '16 Focus Electric. For electrics, with a reasonable 30 amp line from your main box, at 240 volts like your clothes dryer uses, you can add up to 250 miles range each night (10 hours).

Nice thing about Prius, C-Max, Camry, Accord hybrids: Battery pack weighs only 76 lbs. Add power electronics weight, wiring, and structural supports, and you're up to like about 200 lbs total added mass, which isn't bad on a 3,500 lb vehicle, only 6% extra mass to carry around, and it's down low (low CG).
Weight penalty of non-plugIn hybrids is not bad really. Camry and Accord hybrids get 42 mpg, Prius gets 50 mpg, C-Max 41 mpg with that small weight added.

Living in Silicon Valley, there a lotsa electrics. My employer, Symantec, has numerous charging stations and the cost is subsidized.
Many people don't even charge at home.
There are also electric motorcycles made locally.
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

I am in the process of installing solar panels with enough surplus to charge a Tesla.
Probably have a Model 3 or even an S within a year to replace wifey's beloved 2006 TSX.
She also drives a new Lexus RX 450h, which is a hybrid.

Not a hybrid, to me it's neither fish nor fowl, but yes an all electric when/if they will have a range of 600Km and they can be FULLY charged in under 1hr.

Till then I'll stick to gas. Other thing, we don't have enough electricity as it is when in the summer's heat we turn on the AC in the house what will happen to the supply when/if everybody will drive electric cars? and what to the cost?

Not until they are capable of towing like a 400 HP V8 with a range of 300+ miles and can be charged in an hour. I think that time is a ways off.

Given all the talk of country or city bans on normal engines, I'd think they could adjust their plans to say "Only hybrids & electric allowed in polluted ciites", since hybrids actually don't idle much in city traffic.

"The internal combustion engine appears to be on its last lap. More than nine countries and a dozen cities or states have announced what the media has called "bans" in the last few years. Copenhagen mayor Frank Jensen wants the city to end all new diesel cars starting next year. Last December, Paris, Madrid, Athens and Mexico City said they would remove diesel cars and vans by 2025. Norway will phase out conventional cars by 2025, followed by by France and the United Kingdom in 2040 and 2050, respectively." -- https://qz.com/1341155/nine-countri...ustion-engines-none-have-a-law-to-do-so/

Tesla models seem a bit excessive for my needs. I think I am more of an i-miev guy.

However, I could see myself with a Chevrolet Bolt in a few years once the subaru gets up in age. It's really ideal for a short distance commuter.

For a commuter car, definitely. But it would have to be a plug-in capable hybrid and NOT a Prius of any flavor!!

Originally Posted by Pelican
... Till then I'll stick to gas. ...
Regular hybrids (i.e., not including plug-ins) ARE purely gasoline powered. The battery is only a buffer, storing relatively small amounts of energy which was all originally wrung from gasoline by the engine. I think the misleading but now-conventional "hybrid" term confuses many people (which is not to say you're necessarily one of them). Plug-in hybrids are the true hybrids, capable of being powered by either gasoline or utility juice.

Have thought about it for the last 20 years, including harvesting articles from green mags in the '90s on converting little econoboxes.

My commute is regular, open road, and pretty fixed.

But each additional vehicle is around $2k in rego and insurance, so having an additional vehicle (even a cheap hack job) is not really that desirable...tehn converting an econobox, you don't get much over the econobox in the first place.

Bu now with the march of renewables, the duck curve, and the natural progression to an absolute reversal of tariff structure, there's not much longer to go with cheap off peak night time power...solar and storage are going to make night-time the most expensive time to charge your car (don't believe me, see Ca and Hawaii's new time of use tarrifs).

Although this looks like fun...

Originally Posted by ZZman
Yes, I would. Probably a Hybrid unless ranges for full electric hit 500-600 miles or quick charging stations were plentiful.

I just bought a Hybrid. Needed a new car for my use and this was an itch I wanted to scratch.
Do the math, though. You'll save a little coin on fuel but not enough to earn back the incremental purchase cost in less than four years or 70-80K of use.
That's at current gas prices, of course.
Should we see a fuel price spike, a hybrid buyer will look and feel quite bright.
Don't think this is likely, but it never seems to be when it comes.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Do the math, though. You'll save a little coin on fuel but not enough to earn back the incremental purchase cost in less than four years or 70-80K of use.
For the Accord Hybrid, there is $2,000 premium for the hybrid (truecar). Although, I'd say its really $1,000 premium since the hybrid performs better than the 1.5T Accord, and I think some standard amenities are thrown in to the hybrid model's base.
Therefore, at 15,000 miles a year in mixed hiway-city driving, it would take 2 or 3 years to make up the real difference (Accord).
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.jsp

Absolutely, I would love to see a small diesel hybrid. Electric is the future but here in Skunk Hollow with as many power outages as we get I think it would be more trouble than its worth. Sat night and Sunday AM is the worst, some hooch hound hits a pole and that was that for the electricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back