327 Federal Mag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I was looking at a Ruger LCR revolver in 327 Federal Maginum nice gun with a six round capacity. Anyone shoot 327 Fed Mag? What is your opinion of this caliber?

You get one more round, six vs five, it's as powerful as a 357 magnum, and you can load 4 different calibers in the gun, 32ACP, 32, 32HR magnum, and 327 Federal Magnum. Awesome!

I've owned two different guns in 327 Mag over the years.

The first was a Ruger SP101, that I stupidly sold. I now have a Ruger Single 7. The Single 7 was a Lipsey's special around 2014ish, and when they were announced I called three different dealers in town to try and get one. I'm glad I did that, as only one was actually able to get one(I think total production was 2K in each of three barrel lengths made). For someone like me who is NOT a Ruger guy, that's a pretty good endorsement.

In any case, I love the caliber, although it's a bit of an oddball. Kinetic energies are incredibly high thanks to the ridiculous velocities that he cartridge pushes the little 100gr(ish) slugs to(especially out of short barrels). I don't care to ever find out in the real world how it would do as a self defense caliber, but I don't feel under-gunned with one. The velocities do ensure good penetration, and recoil is also light vs. the 357 Mag.

I also love how flat-shooting it is. In good hands, it's an incredibly accurate out to 50 yards or better.

One of the downsides I do see is that ammo selection is limited. Of course, I handload, although I don't carry handloads in an SD gun. Right around the time the Single 7 shipped, Handloader magazine published an issue with a bunch of load data-it's worth finding. As a general strategy, shove as much Win 296 in as you can
smile.gif
(disclaimer-always use published load data and work up your loads). BTW, one BIG downside is that brass-whether once fired or virgin-can be difficult to find, and there's not exactly a huge selection of commercial .312 caliber bullets.

Also, short of of the Blackhawk in 30 Carbine, I honestly thing 327 Mag may be the loudest handgun I've ever fired.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
I've owned two different guns in 327 Mag over the years.

The first was a Ruger SP101, that I stupidly sold. I now have a Ruger Single 7. The Single 7 was a Lipsey's special around 2014ish, and when they were announced I called three different dealers in town to try and get one. I'm glad I did that, as only one was actually able to get one(I think total production was 2K in each of three barrel lengths made). For someone like me who is NOT a Ruger guy, that's a pretty good endorsement.

In any case, I love the caliber, although it's a bit of an oddball. Kinetic energies are incredibly high thanks to the ridiculous velocities that he cartridge pushes the little 100gr(ish) slugs to(especially out of short barrels). I don't care to ever find out in the real world how it would do as a self defense caliber, but I don't feel under-gunned with one. The velocities do ensure good penetration, and recoil is also light vs. the 357 Mag.

I also love how flat-shooting it is. In good hands, it's an incredibly accurate out to 50 yards or better.

One of the downsides I do see is that ammo selection is limited. Of course, I handload, although I don't carry handloads in an SD gun. Right around the time the Single 7 shipped, Handloader magazine published an issue with a bunch of load data-it's worth finding. As a general strategy, shove as much Win 296 in as you can
smile.gif
(disclaimer-always use published load data and work up your loads). BTW, one BIG downside is that brass-whether once fired or virgin-can be difficult to find, and there's not exactly a huge selection of commercial .312 caliber bullets.

Also, short of of the Blackhawk in 30 Carbine, I honestly thing 327 Mag may be the loudest handgun I've ever fired.

Starline makes brass for it. For straight wall revolver rounds I pretty much only use coated hardcast these days. Easy to find.

I liked it when it came out, and got a chance to shoot a few rounds out of a 3" SP101. Liked it quite a bit. Thought a 6 round LCR with 327 reduced recoil rounds would make for an "ideal" gun for me--six rounds, less recoil, decent ballistics, as compared to 38SPL. [Think something between 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Mag for umph, download for the shorter barrel. Not a recoil junkie.]

I think it's kinda died down. Revolver round so IMO it's a limited pool of buyers. Everyone wants an semi. Kudos to Ruger for occasionally trying something new.

I have an SP101 in 327 Fed. I got it to try, and because of the ammo options. 32 auto will NOT reliably fire in the gun, nor in any current-production SP-101 (in 327 Fed) in general. The cases are quite different and although some rounds may fire, you can count on lots of misfires.

32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 Colt New Police, 32 H&R Mag, and 327 Federal are the cartridges one can generally expect to reliably fire.

As was said, 327 Fed ammo in these revolvers is _LOUD_!

Hand loading is flexible, too, since you can use pretty well any of those cartridge cases and data for them. Do NOT load a 327 Fed case with light charges for the smaller cases. You may be fine, or you may destroy your gun or your self.

I have been loading a light (but published) charge of Clays behind some Hornady jacketed bullets in Starline 327 Fed brass. It gives very mild recoil and makes it a fun little plinker.

Originally Posted by hatt

Starline makes brass for it. For straight wall revolver rounds I pretty much only use coated hardcast these days. Easy to find.

Starline cataloging brass doesn't necessarily guarantee availability, although I do have some 327 Mag Starline(hat I bought new) in circulation.

Hardcast bullets are another subject entirely
smile.gif
. I admit to having never shot coated bullets, but with bare lead my experience is that most bullets on the market are far too hard. I've loaded a decent amount of 327 to fairly high velocities using the same .312 "Cowboy" bullets from Missouri Bullet that I use for 32-20, and don't really have leading issues in my Single 7.

I also cast these

https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-311-100-2r.html

in straight wheel weight alloy. Tumble lubed in liquid Alox, I get no leading at any sane velocity in any cartridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back