Windows 10 1809 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
My one Windows machine took the update without anything to report, took about 15 minutes. The other one claims Windows is up to date still at 1803. Anyone else get the update?

Just upgraded as a "clean install" the other night, so far so good (touch wood) running 1809.

Just downloaded the iso and ready to make a boot SSD for that wicked fast install.

Protip: Download the .iso straight from the website by going into developer tools, enable mobile device emulation mode and go to the download site. MS will detect it an incompatible OS to run the media creation tool.Then choose the appropriate version for your language and system (x86 or x64.) Then use Rufus to create the boot disk onto the fastest USB drive you have.

Last edited:
Just curious, any downside to just allowing it to upgrade, or is the clean install the best way to go?

Clean install is always best if you have the time. Just ensure you have backed up every piece of data that you need to save.

Oh what I'd give for just an updated version of Win7. Best one they ever made. XP, solid. Vista, junk. 7, solid. 8, disaster. 9, they forgot this #. 10, eh.

I miss my iMac.

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
Clean install is always best if you have the time. Just ensure you have backed up every piece of data that you need to save.

Ive never Clean installed over an update. Thats galaxy brain stuff. Waste of time. Just push the update button if you want it. (Or let it update on its own)
My Windows 10 install originated as a Windows 7 install from Jan 2010. I dont have any problems however I froze updating in early 2016 so Im running 1510 I think? I dont see any reason to upgrade; nothing is broke and the machine works perfect.

Originally Posted by Throt
Oh what I'd give for just an updated version of Win7. Best one they ever made. XP, solid. Vista, junk. 7, solid. 8, disaster. 9, they forgot this #. 10, eh.

Windows 9 was named Windows 8.1
lol.gif

But I agree, the good Windows versions were XP, 7, and 8.1

Basically the "R2" versions of windows are the best, as they are named in the server editions.

Windows Server 2003 R2
Windows Server 2008 R2 (Window 7)
Windows Server 2012 R2 (Window 8.1)

Back on the original topic, these Windows 10 "updates" (that as we know are more like new installations) do a decent job of preserving the previous configuration, and are probably fine for a typical home user who just uses a browser and maybe office applications. But these updates mess up quite a few items for me, it takes a week or so for me to find all the broken stuff and fix it after an update, and a few I cannot even fix. I have begun to document (for myself) all the fixes I have redo after an update so I can do them without spending as much time searching the Internet all over again!

Reading this conversation makes me miss leaving windows so much!

Yeah I know macs are more expensive. But looking back, screwing around with windows installs and settings eats thousands of dollars of your time over the lifespan of a computer.

I can also decide not to use their cloud and "user is the product" strategy and Apple doesn't throw a hissy fit about it!

That has always been my opinion, until today. I have the data backed up. A clean install at the moment has made my laptop into a brick. It boots to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner corner of the monitor. I'm glad I didn't do it on my other PCs. I'll be working on it later, hopefully I'll find a fix.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

That has always been my opinion, until today. I have the data backed up. A clean install at the moment has made my laptop into a brick. It boots to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner corner of the monitor. I'm glad I didn't do it on my other PCs. I'll be working on it later, hopefully I'll find a fix.

Make sure it's booting to the boot drive that windows is installed on. Check boot order in bios.

I fixed it. I removed the SSD drive installed the old HDD put Win 10 on that then cloned it to the SSD drive and put that back in the laptop. I needed a good challenge. I'll tweak it and hopefully get it the way I want it.

Originally Posted by BearZDefect
Windows 9 was named Windows 8.1
lol.gif

Now I get it. 8 + 1=9 Pure Genius!

Optiplex 760 with 10 Home everything worked fine after update.

HP Compaq Pro 6300 twice had 2234-HECI error during initialization that first occurred when onboard lan went bad in July. Hitting F1 each time got me past that and booted fine but now ever time it reboots I get that error. I did not want to do a clean install to keep all my settings intact.

I got the update this morning on my primary P.C.. So far, so good - unlike the 1803 update that broke several device drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back