Grease for power antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
A long time ago I installed a Hirschmann power antenna in my dad's Golf. The car has returned to us and my son drives it now. I remember the antenna came with a little pouch antenna grease for regular cleaning and lubricating. What lubricant would you use these days for a telescoping power antenna?

silicone/dielectric grease

It's plastic safe for the gearing, no odor, and won't get funky if there's a bit of water intrusion

Grease out in the open, such as on an antenna mast, would attract a lot of dirt and make things worse.

Personally, I clean the mast with WD40 and call it good.

I apply a liberal amount of syl glyde or super lube grease. Run the antenna up and down a few times and then clean off the excess so it does not attract dirt.

I think water resistant marine grease would do nicely. Available in 3 ounce tubes from Amazon and I am sure many other vendors.

I've always used something like WD-40 and wiped it off. Although, I sorta like spasm3's idea.

I would wipe it down with silicone spray on a rag. I think the idea is to just keep it clean. Also make sure the grommet is in good shape.

I think that the "dry silicone" such as CRC is a good choice. Not the "wet silicone" such as Liquid Wrench that stays wet like PB Blaster.

I would take my fluid film rag (its a rag on top of my toolbox completely saturated with fluid film) and wipe it once in a while.

WD-40 is a good cleaner but not a lubricant. I would just spray on something that is "dry" you can use WD-40 for initial cleaning though. With that said, being outside what every dry lube you use will likely not last very long.

Power Antenna components that are exposed outside are likely designed to not require lube any way.

Last edited:
Molykote 33 for the gears including the plastic mast "rack" that wraps around in the gearbox. Toyota is using some special yellow grease they sell for $50/30g, I think it's Molykote YM-103.

The telescoping mast doesn't need anything.

I am more a fan of the dryer lubes for power antennas due to the fact that they don't attract the dirt & grit that a wet lube attracts. I use these dryer lubes on things around the house such as the tracks on my sliding glass doors where, I want the track to be cleaned and smooth for the ease of movement. All while not allowing the dirt of life to cause any binding or lack of good movement for those in the household with shoulder/elbow issues.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Grease out in the open, such as on an antenna mast, would attract a lot of dirt and make things worse.

Personally, I clean the mast with WD40 and call it good.

I apply the grease, run the antenna up and down a few times, then wipe it clean. That's per the antenna maker's instructions. The internal parts of the telescoping sections are now lubricated and minimal grease ends up on the external sections. I think I'll try Silglide, because I have it, and its viscosity seems about right.

Originally Posted by nthach
The telescoping mast doesn't need anything.

Hirschmann did provide grease for the mast. Since the antenna has been lubed regularly for a quarter century, I don't think it's unreasonable to keep lubing it.

I just use a rag and WD 40 type of lube /cleaner every oil change on customers cars and they last and work well with regular cleaning/lubing. I don't recommend anything heavy. Most antenna either get broken by impact or the plastic tail gets old and breaks even though antenna still free and smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back