EDGE Pro OE 5-40 VS EDGE 5-40 '17 Q5??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a '17 Q5 3.0 and wanted, as I usually do, to get a top or best oil. I'm using Castrol LL03 for my TDI so I decided to do a little research on what Castrol offers. I called Castrol, their female reps that answer the phone seem to also be their tech line...wonderful. According to them the OE oils are the highest level of protection and are 100% carbon neutral (?) and filtered better, "Exclusively for new car dealerships, Castrol EDGE Professional is certified carbon neutral and micro-filtered to highest quality standards." When they emailed me the data sheets the info on them as compared to the regular EDGE of the same weight look exactly the same. My dealer says that the black bottle EDGE is the same oil (they do not carry the OE) and got an attitude when I told him that Castrol says different. Still trying to find out which is the best oil, I usually buy a few cases and a bunch of filters and whenever I want the car to rum smoother, I change the oil.....Is it worth getting the OE, or maybe an even better oil?

This is the info from the data sheets:

**EDGE Professional OE 5W-40** GOLD BOTTLE
Strength for Maximum Performance
Description
Today's technology has allowed car manufacturers to produce smaller, yet more powerful and efficient engines with the
aim to deliver increased fuel economy, reduced emissions and high performance. Downsizing, turbo charging and
advanced engine designs like direct fuel injection and variable valve timing have now almost doubled engine pressures
putting more stress on the oil. The oil is now operating under higher temperatures and having to withstand pressures in
excess of 10 tons of pressure per square centimeter in areas like the cam and follower.
Application
Formulation approved and licensed to European OEM specifications.
Meets the industry standards for API SN/CF and ACEA A3/B4.
See product performance claims for a complete list of OEM approvals.
Advantages
Exclusively for new car dealerships, Castrol EDGE Professional is certified carbon neutral and micro-filtered to highest
quality standards.

Typical Characteristics
Name Method Units Typical values
Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.85
Appearance Visual - clear and bright
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 14.1
Viscosity, CCS -30C ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 6100
Blend Flash PMCC ASTM D93 °C 210
Viscosity, MRV / Yield Stress -35C (5W) ASTM D4684 mPa.s (cP) 36000
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 174
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 84.2
Viscosity, HTHS 150C ASTM D4683 cP 3.7
Noack Volatility CEC L-40-A-93 % Loss 11
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -45
Product Performance Claims
ACEA A3/B4
API SN/CF
BMW Longlife-01
MB-Approval 229.3
Porsche A40
VW 502 00 / 505 00

**EDGE 5W-40 U.S.** BLACK BOTTLE
Strength for Maximum Performance
Description
Advances in engine technology have led to increased power and efficiency, meaning engines work harder and under
higher pressures than ever before. The only thing keeping engine components apart is the oil, so it needs to be strong
and remain strong. Castrol EDGE is our strongest and most advanced range of full synthetic motor oils. It provides
superior motor oil strength and help your vehicle to maximize performance.
Application
Formulated for approved and licensed European OEM specifications. Meets industry standards for API SN/CF and ACEA
A3/B4. Meets BMW, MB, Porsche and VW specifications.
Advantages
Castrol EDGE provides superior motor oil strength for engines that work harder due to higher engine pressures,
helping your vehicle maximize engine performance.
* Reduces metal to metal contact across a range of different driving speeds.
* Protects the engine for the entire drain interval as recommended by your owner's manual even under extreme
pressure.
* Decrease engine deposit formulation to help maximize engine performance

Typical Characteristics
Name Method Units Typical Values
Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.85
Appearance Visual - clear and bright
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 14.1
Viscosity, CCS -30C ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 6100
Blend Flash PMCC ASTM D93 °C 210
Viscosity, MRV / Yield Stress -35C (5W) ASTM D4684 mPa.s (cP) 36000
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 174
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 84.2
Viscosity, HTHS 150C ASTM D4683 cP 3.7
Noack Volatility CEC L-40-A-93 % Loss 11
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -45
Product Performance Claims
ACEA A3/B4
API SN/CF
BMW Longlife-01
MB-Approval 229.3
Porsche A40
VW 501 01/ 502 00 / 505 00

Old thread from VWVortex, not sure if info is still valid...

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8693017-Passat-VR6-owners

Last edited:
I wouldn't think micro filtration on the VO would be of value once the oil is in use a couple hours.

Both are similar and either one is as suitable as the other one.
I would just take what 's available.

Just trying to find the best one...Castrol says it's the OE version.

Originally Posted by knerml
Where can you buy the OE version?
Black bottles available at Walmart for $24.67/5qt.

Dealer, Online parts sites like ECS tuning, Amazon, eBay & other places too

Castrol 5W40 is DEFINITELY not best oil.
Get in Wal Mast Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40.
Main difference between OE and Edge 5W40 is dye.

I have a lot of the old German, GC 0-30 from when it went on clearance in Advance Auto years ago, it was supposed to be great oil and has the 502, 505 spec. too.....wonder what makes them call for 5-40 OE?

I'm not sure why there's all the hate for the Castrol's 5W40. Unlike M1, it meets BMW LL-01, which is a pretty stringent spec. If I wanted to a slightly heavier euro oil, I'd see no reason not to use it. It's now readily-available, for cheap.

Originally Posted by JOD
I'm not sure why there's all the hate for the Castrol's 5W40. Unlike M1, it meets BMW LL-01, which is a pretty stringent spec. If I wanted to a slightly heavier euro oil, I'd see no reason not to use it. It's now readily-available, for cheap.

It does not meet MB229.5 which is more stringent then BMW LL-01. Both Castrol 0W40 and M1 0W40 meet MB229.5.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
5w-40 normal here and its cheapest too

Europe gets different 5W40 that meets MB229.5 or in case of C3 version MB 229.51.

Originally Posted by Quadrasteer
I have a lot of the old German, GC 0-30 from when it went on clearance in Advance Auto years ago, it was supposed to be great oil and has the 502, 505 spec. too.....wonder what makes them call for 5-40 OE?

They don't, they call for VW 502.00.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by JOD

It does not meet MB229.5 which is more stringent then BMW LL-01. Both Castrol 0W40 and M1 0W40 meet MB229.5.

It is not necessarily "more stringent"; 229.5 has a fuel economy component that the 3.7 hths oil can't meet. If anything, it's less stringent where wear is concerned depending on how you parse the testing. Considering that it meets LL01, it's certainly capable of long drains.

The Euro 5W40 is thinner, so it's not surprising it passes 229.3. It also has lower flash point and pour point. I'm sure there is any evidence that it's any better than the US version.

Honestly, the comments about Castrol 5W40 seem to be based on myth and/or experience based on a completely different formulation. Of course, they seem to get said enough but a few vocal folks that they get treated as fact.

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by JOD

It is not necessarily "more stringent"; 229.5 has a fuel economy component that the 3.7 hths oil can't meet. If anything, it's less stringent where wear is concerned depending on how you parse the testing. Considering that it meets LL01, it's certainly capable of long drains.

The Euro 5W40 is thinner, so it's not surprising it passes 229.3. It also has lower flash point and pour point. I'm sure there is any evidence that it's any better than the US version.

Honestly, the comments about Castrol 5W40 seem to be based on myth and/or experience based on a completely different formulation. Of course, they seem to get said enough but a few vocal folks that they get treated as fact.

I do not understand what in the world you are talking about. Both Castrol 5W40 and 0W40 have same HTHS of 3.7. I am not sure where the [censored] you pulled out that that 3.7 HTHS cannot meet this "phantom" fuel economy requirement MB229.5 has.
MB229.5 have more stringent NOACK and deposit requirements. HTHS in both requirements has to be ABOVE 3.5. Previous version of M1 0W40 had HTHS of 3.8 and met MB229.5. I would like to hear more about this HTHS 3.7 and fuel economy requirement of MB229.5.
MB229.3 is old specification. Euro version is passing MB229.5. US version is only MB229.3.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by JOD

I do not understand what in the world you are talking about. Both Castrol 5W40 and 0W40 have same HTHS of 3.7. I am not sure where the [censored] you pulled out that that 3.7 HTHS cannot meet this "phantom" fuel economy requirement MB229.5 has.
MB229.5 have more stringent NOACK and deposit requirements. HTHS in both requirements has to be ABOVE 3.5. Previous version of M1 0W40 had HTHS of 3.8 and met MB229.5. I would like to hear more about this HTHS 3.7 and fuel economy requirement of MB229.5.
MB229.3 is old specification. Euro version is passing MB229.5. US version is only MB229.3.

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by JOD

I suggest you look at the actual test protocol before spouting off

A few other things to consider re Castrol 5W-40 can 0W-40:
- 0W is usually easier to find (my Wal-Mart rarely has 5W)
- 0W is 229.5 approved while 5W is only 229.3
- 5W is an older formula (does not contain their special titanium additive)
- 0W is a group 4 PAO based oil
- They both meet 502

If they were both the same price and readily available, I don't know why anyone would choose 5W-40.

I suggest you look at the actual test protocol before spouting off

I did, long time ago, numerous times. I suggest you take a look again at performance numbers and maybe you will come to conclusion that HTHS of 3.7 in one oil equals to HTHS of 3.7 in another.
If you look at protocol you would see that MB229.5 has NOACK limit of 10%, while Castrol 5W40 (US version) has NOACK of 11%.
Also, some oils that also have high HTHS and still meet MB229.5:
Motul X-Cess: HTHS 3.7 with 14.2cst (13.9 in Castrol 5W40).
Ravenol VST 5W40: HTHS 3.8 with 14.3 cst.

So "apparently" these oils have same HTHS or higher then Castrol 5W40, however "meet" that fuel economy requirement that you mentioned.
So please, for the sake of argument, enlighten us that do not know here.

Last edited:
Here's the thing:

It's splitting hairs. If you can actually show that there is a difference between Castrol 0W and 5W-40 in service, I'll buy you a case of beer.

Use whichever is on the shelf. I've got Castrol OE 5W-40 in my Q7 now and it will stay there. I think it will be have about 7,50 miles in service when it gets replaced with the last of my Castrol 0W-40. After that, who knows.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Here's the thing:

It's splitting hairs. If you can actually show that there is a difference between Castrol 0W and 5W-40 in service, I'll buy you a case of beer.

Use whichever is on the shelf. I've got Castrol OE 5W-40 in my Q7 now and it will stay there. I think it will be have about 7,50 miles in service when it gets replaced with the last of my Castrol 0W-40. After that, who knows.

I had valve tick on 1.8T B5.5 with 5W40 after 4k. With other oils I did not. Enough for me. I drink Amber ale beer, by the way.
However, both 0W40 and 5W40 cost same in Wal Mart, and 0W40 meets more stringent requirements. So, do not understand this "philosophy:" I will use lower quality oil, just because.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back