Prestone Asian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2009 Corolla that was coming up on 110K. Coolant was nice and clear red. But I wanted to do a drain and fill. Bought Prestone Asian 50/50 ... was same clear red color coming out of bottle. Six months later, color is orange/red and not as clear. Anyone else had experience with Prestone Asian. Car runs fine but the color change concerns me. Think I'm gonna drain and re-fill with Valvoline Asian 50/50

After 6 months?? That would concern me too. The Toyota OEM coolant will stay red for at least a decade.

I personally prefer the Toyota coolant, in conjunction with a thorough distilled water flush.

I have read positive reviews on the Valvoline Zerex Asian Formula, but I haven't tried it yet.

That Prestone Asian is crap.

Replacing with Valvoline/Zerex Asian is a very good idea
smile.gif

The Prestone Asian is simply red-dyed Dex-Cool. While Dex has been ran in Toyotas with some success(with a through flush), why not stick to tried and true pHOAT like Zerex Asian or the CCI GC OEM rebottles?

I'm guessing the 2-EHA in the Prestone reacted with the remaining phosphate in the cooling system. But Toyota pink SLLC is a sebecate-phosphate formulation...

Last edited:
Prestone all makes all models has phosphate in it now. Reckon that's part of the cor-guard inhibitor package when they changed the formulation round about three years ago.

I was in Walmart last night, and saw the new Prestone anitfreeze being sold for Toyota, Honda/Subaru, and European models in half gallon jugs premixed. $6.97 for half a gallon. Wondering if they are just adding color, and calling it a PHOAT because it actually is now. If they are, that's a big rip off.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Prestone all makes all models has phosphate in it now. Reckon that's part of the cor-guard inhibitor package when they changed the formulation round about three years ago.

I was in Walmart last night, and saw the new Prestone anitfreeze being sold for Toyota, Honda/Subaru, and European models in half gallon jugs premixed. $6.97 for half a gallon. Wondering if they are just adding color, and calling it a PHOAT because it actually is now. If they are, that's a big rip off.

If it is a PHOAT, then... why is it a big rip off..?

Originally Posted by BigD1

Doubt it - if it has phosphates it won't be suitable in European cars. The USPTO patent into for Cor-Guard(Google has it) doesn't show that the latest Prestone uses phosphates. The patent shows that there's an additional polycarboxylate that's there to protect CAB-brazed aluminum. There's also mention of fatty acids as well.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3460880/all/New_Prestone_Coolant?_Pics
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20120288404?oq=inassignee:%22Prestone+Products+Corp.%22

I'll still stick to Japanese pHOATs for Japanese cars, this new Prestone would be good for a GM/Ford(with orange coolant) or commercial application that doesn't call for specific ELCs(or isn't old school green with a SCA).

Last edited:
Get PENTOSIN coolant Pentofrost A4 if you want a 50/50 that is the right stuff for Toyota.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I'm generally skeptical of Prestone products. For coolant I'd stick to Zerex OE formulations.

Me too... and I used to regard Prestone as the absolute best, before they went to "all makes / all models" nonsense. Valvoline/Zerex seems to be the most honest brand among afermarket coolant manufacturers. Of all the formulations out there, G-05 and the Asian pHoats are probably the very closest to truly being reasonably safe in almost any engine... but they steadfastly refuse to advertise anything as such. Universal just means "doesn't work exactly right in ANYthing..."

Sorry but Prestone realizes this is a bunch of bull. The autos have aluminum, steel, maybe a few other metals. Take the PHOAT and shove it. Flush the system and go with Prestone with Coreguard. Everything else is anal retention. Twenty types of antifreeze at the store. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Take the Prestone and shove it.
Flush the system and go with a PHOAT/G-05.
Everything else is anal retention.
Universal antifreeze everywere. Ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Brian553

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Brian553

+2

Metals are not an issue - it's the solder in the heat exchangers and gasket materials that matter more. And Japanese OEM coolants do a very good job of keeping cooling systems pristine.

Originally Posted by nthach
Brian553 said:
Metals are not an issue - it's the solder in the heat exchangers and gasket materials that matter more. And Japanese OEM coolants do a very good job of keeping cooling systems pristine.

Metals are an issue especially those pesky aluminum elbows, the thermostat housing, the timing cover area. Lots of people who don't use use Prestone get those problems. Everyone has their favourite coolant. Mine is Prestone with Coreguard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back