Most reliable, economic and capable AWD vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about my next car, which will likely be some type of vehicle that can handle driving on the beach with ease. Tacomas, CrossTrek and the new Rav4 due out in early 2019 are on my list. What other economical, reliable vehicles are out there with capable AWD sytems that will handle light trails and beach use? Mazda's AWD seems decent, but I'm not sure it can handle the beach.

I don't see anything beating the Crosstrek and new Rav4 for value, reliablity and AWD performance.

2019 Subaru Forester has been revised for 2019. Underpinnings are the new Subaru global platform. Something to add to the list. Hitting dealerships now.

Originally Posted by buster
I've been thinking about my next car, which will likely be some type of vehicle that can handle driving on the beach with ease. Tacomas, CrossTrek and the new Rav4 due out in early 2019 are on my list. What other economical, reliable vehicles are out there with capable AWD sytems that will handle light trails and beach use? Mazda's AWD seems decent, but I'm not sure it can handle the beach.

I don't see anything beating the Crosstrek and new Rav4 for value, reliablity and AWD performance.

Grand Cherokee too big?

No offense, its Crosstrek, not CrossTrek. A good friend of mine bought a new 2018 Crosstrek with a CVT. It is a great vehicle with one exception, its slooooow. I wouldn't wanna race it against a Nissan versa slow.
Subaru programmed the electronic gas pedal to trick you into thinking it has ample power when driving normal. When you stomp on it the car doesn't go much faster from a standing start.

Do yourself a favor and try a CX-5 or CX-9. I can't say enough good things about the CX-5. I will admit, I've not taken it to the beach. However, the loose dirt and snow that it has gone though didn't slow it down one bit.

That being said, out of the list you've provided, I'd vote for the Tacoma.

2019 Corolla and 2000 4wd Ford ranger.

How many beach miles do you plan on driving per year?

Also 2nd, the CrossTrek is too slow, when I go watch the beach races they always lose.

The Regal "Tour X" wagon might be a good choice. A wagon with a 4-cylinder engine will be more economical than any high-rise SUV

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Japanese trucks in the NA market are not competitive with domestics. I'd pass.
Subaru all the way. Toyota in general is overrated everywhere but this board.

Good insights!
Why Subaru?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Regal "Tour X" wagon might be a good choice. A wagon with a 4-cylinder engine will be more economical than any high-rise SUV
I'm not sure a wago has any MPG advantage over a small CUV. MAYBE due to aerodynamics but it would be worthwhile for increased visibility.

I love wagons; Vista Cruiser is AWESOME!.

Have you driven on the beach before? I drove in IBSP for several years. Don't think I'd buy AWD for beach use. It's probably fine when the sand is firm but you get soft sand, you'll want a real 4x4 system.

Forester would be a good bet. Economical and reliable in our experience, although the older one isn't all that economical.
There is probably no better AWD system in any vehicle, much less a moderately priced one than that found in Subies.
The two liter is apparently quite slow by all accounts, but the current NA 2.5 seems plenty strong in our '17.
Fuel economy also beats our '12 Accord in the same use as driven by my wife, who loves the AWD a few days out of the year as well as the high seating position.
This means she'll hate our new Accord. LOL!
I'll add that to some extent your thread title is mutually exclusive in that I think you're looking for a reasonable blend of three distinct attributes.
No one machine can or does excel in all three.

Rav4 might be ok. Haven't seen the new restyle. It checks the reliable box (if it's like previous Toyota products) and economical box, although Toyota is usually proud of their vehicles come buying time. Performance wise I haven't seen a Toyota AWD that is top tier. The last consumer tests I saw put them behind Honda and Subaru. Maybe the restyle has improved this?

Tacoma again checks the reliable and also the 4x4 performance, but it isn't going to be cheap to buy or operate. In 4x4 trim, harder on fuel and demands a bigger payment book.

Subaru checks more boxes in my opinion. Reliable yes (don't even start on the head gasket stuff-that's so 2000) Performance check (the best low cost awd system period) Economical check. You won't win many races but that also includes races to the gas pump.

No experience with Mazda's awd offerings. Never been a fan and as long as my Subaru's continue to serve me well I don't suppose I'll ever have any experience with them.

My $0.02 YMMV.

Subaru is probably near the head of the class..in the grocery-getter class. The '18 2.0 XT really doesnt have any serious competition in the sub luxury class and is better than most luxury considering best AWD sys and the 2.0. Now that its discontinued I would have to say BMW X3 hands down.

I suppose Buster posted this to get some Subaru bashing in
wink.gif

Speaking of reliability. I just gave my 08 Forester with 181K miles to granddaughter. Only left me down once when the alternator let lose on a 400 mile trip.It has zero issues now that I switched toi 5W-40 oil (no oil use)

No I like Subaru Al, I had an 05 Forester that was a tank and was great on the beach, even in deeper sand. That's my concern with something like the CX-5. Can it handle the beach? I used to go to Avalon NJ in the offseason months with the Subaru and it was great.

Tacomas are great as well and the new Rav4 is getting a new AWD system that is more advanced across the board.

Cherokees are nice, but reliability concerns me with Jeep.

No I like Subaru Al, I had an 05 Forester that was a tank and was great on the beach, even in deeper sand. That's my concern with something like the CX-5. Can it handle the beach? I used to go to Avalon NJ in the offseason months with the Subaru and it was great.

Tacomas are great as well and the new Rav4 is getting a new AWD system that is more advanced across the board.

Cherokees are nice, but reliability concerns me with Jeep.

The Grand Cherokee has a pretty decent track record from what I recall. It shares a platform with Mercedes still, and it's pretty mature. The Pentastar would get good mileage and still provide reasonable performance backed by the 8spd. It also has an excellent 4WD system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back