Genuine BMW Oil Technical Data Sheets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know where to find TDS (Technical Data Sheets) for genuine BMW oils? I've scoured the web for about 45 min plus and it seems BMW keeps them on the DL. Id like to see Noak, TBN, Flash and Pour points on BMW oils compared to some of the more readily available Longlife-01 oils. Thanks in advance.

BMW M TwinPower Turbo 0W40 (Longlife-01) - BMW # 83212365945
BMW TwinPower Turbo 5W30 (Longlife-01) BMW # 83212365946

There aren't any on the web. If they exist at all then you'd have to ask a dealer for them.

The oils carry the specifications they list and are suitable for the BMW engines/vehicles that have the listed requirements.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Right, but the PQIA information is not the official PDS from BMW, assuming such a thing even exists.

PDS documents are marketing material. Is that what the OP wanted?

Scott

I don't believe there's such a thing. BMW branded oils are re-labeled Shell (previously Castrol) products.

When Castrol was the supplier the dealer oil was IIRC re-labeled Castrol-SLX. The 5w30 you're looking at was suspected of being the Shell/Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 or something like that.

Today in the U.S. the dealers are stocking 0w30 LL01FE no LL01. I would start looking for a Shell product with that spec in perhaps a country which doesn't have ULSG. I suspect it's going to be difficult to find because LL01FE has been superseded in many markets with the introduction of ULSG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I don't believe there's such a thing. BMW branded oils are re-labeled Shell (previously Castrol) products.

When Castrol was the supplier the dealer oil was IIRC re-labeled Castrol-SLX. The 5w30 you're looking at was suspected of being the Shell/Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 or something like that.

Today in the U.S. the dealers are stocking 0w30 LL01FE no LL01. I would start looking for a Shell product with that spec in perhaps a country which doesn't have ULSG. I suspect it's going to be difficult to find because LL01FE has been superseded in many markets with the introduction of ULSG.

I think there is much more then just relabeling. That Russian web site has TPT 5W30's NOACK at 6.2% while Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 is at 11%.
There were also differences between Castrol's SLX and BMW oil that was supplied by Castrol.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I think there is much more then just relabeling. That Russian web site has TPT 5W30's NOACK at 6.2% while Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 is at 11%.
There were also differences between Castrol's SLX and BMW oil that was supplied by Castrol.

True. BMW appears to be getting a different Shell formula, as recent VOA's of Euro L is different than the PQIA VOA too.
I like the lower NOACK one for sure.

Its true a lot of house-brand, endorsed oils from OEMs sell on the basis of customer comfort with the recommended thing to use, no thinking required. And that works most of the time.
Those PDS, tech sheets, & MSDS info we use here are rarely even glanced at by anybody else, even most fleet managers deciding on which oil to use.
King is the approvals and qualifications, not looking at the numbers.

Seems like there are several Twin Power Turbo oils actually..from 0w-20 to 10w-60 and with different approvals.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by StevieC
Here is good information for the one... The other they don't seem to have.

http://pqiadata.org/BMW_5W30.html

That are strange specifications for that oil....LL-01 API SL... ACEA A3 /B4....

Over the pond it has LL-04 ACEA C3 API SN
https://www.euroton.si/avtodeli/bmw-twin-power-turbo-5w30-ll04-1l-p-216790.aspx

The US just switched over the ULSG in Jan 2018 so they've been unable to transition the entire fleet to LL04. BMW finally moved its fleet to LL01FE which is itself an old spec since a majority of the cars sold in the US are used for urban driving. Surprised it took this long to be honest.

The US just switched over the ULSG in Jan 2018 so they've been unable to transition the entire fleet to LL04. BMW finally moved its fleet to LL01FE which is itself an old spec since a majority of the cars sold in the US are used for urban driving. Surprised it took this long to be honest.

I highly doubt BMW will switch gasoline engines to Low-SAPS. US ULSG is range, not absolute maximum of 10ppm like in Europe. That means you can fill 5ppm in Los Angeles and 50ppm (hypothetically) in Alabama. That is OK as long as manufacturer meets average requirement of 10ppm.

Originally Posted by edyvw

I highly doubt BMW will switch gasoline engines to Low-SAPS. US ULSG is range, not absolute maximum of 10ppm like in Europe. That means you can fill 5ppm in Los Angeles and 50ppm (hypothetically) in Alabama. That is OK as long as manufacturer meets average requirement of 10ppm.

Thanks for the particulars. It has been awhile since I read up on it.

like all manufacture labeled products its OVERPRICED!!! BMW DON"T make oil!! just meet the spec + your good!!

Originally Posted by benjy
like[sic] all manufacture[sic] labeled products its[sic] OVERPRICED!!! BMW DON"T[sic] make oil!! just[sic] meet the spec + your[sic] good!!

Thanks for your helpful observation. What is the factual basis for your astute analysis?

OP: Remember this oil is no longer stocked by the dealers and what you do find is just old stock.

Dealers now stock TwinPower 0w30.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by benjy
like[sic] all manufacture[sic] labeled products its[sic] OVERPRICED!!! BMW DON"T[sic] make oil!! just[sic] meet the spec + your[sic] good!!

Thanks for your helpful observation. What is the factual basis for your astute analysis?

Compare to Castrol 0W40 in Wal Mart, it is overpriced.
Not to mention that they now use "water" based 0W30 LL-01 FE in engines that were made to use LL-01.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back