PP 5W20 in Ram Hemi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used it in my RAM HEMI for nearly 10K miles. Use it according to the iOLM or the max interval per your owners manual and don't worry.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
Plan to run PP 5W-20 in my new Ram. Will change every 6 months.

I've run it since the factory fill came out early back in 2013. My truck now has 72,000 kms on it and going by the OLM and the miles I drive annually, a once a year oil change is all I need.

I am currently around 60-65% remaining and was going to change it this fall but I think, with regards to the OLM, I will wait until spring. I am running a TG2, which is a bigger filter as well.

PP 5w20 has a good clean base oil with good detergency, and the 0w40 version of PUP was made with assistance from FCA specifically for the 6.4. So consider that, FCA engineers can make any oil for the 6.4 hemi they want, and they choose a 40 weight. When the gov't clips their nuts because of CAFE and API garbage, they spec a 20 weight oil for the mds system and lie to everyone and say the mds requires 20 weight oil. At Ram forum we have a poll, roughly half of the forum use 30 weight or higher in the mds. So why would we bother to go out of spec? Because there is a large issue with cams and lifters needing replacement between 70k and 100k, there are threads on it, do a search. So PP is a fine product, 5w20 is nearly thin as water and not a great choice for a 390hp engine imo. Since you are in Canada, maybe 0w30 would be a great choice for ya, that would likely be the thinnest 30 weight, so that would be the closest step up from 5w20 unless you mixed. I don't even know if PP has a 0w30, but I will say 0w30 m1 is one fine product. If you get hemi tick, consider 5w30 redline, there aint none better for that.

Oh btw, we have guys use 0w40 PUP in the mds as well, no issues. That oil shears fairly quick and will spend most of it's life as a 5w30 in your crank case. That oil specifically was made with high moly to protect those cams, averages around 250ppm moly. I am one of the more conservative members over there as far as going past the spec oil, but 0w40 PUP is a low viscosity 40 weight, and due to the swing winter rating to weight it has many vii's that shear way back within 500 miles. We have many uoa's on this, that oil ends up in the 11's operating temp viscosity in the hemi's. If you do opt for a 20 weight oil, maybe look at lubeguards biotech moly treatment, generally I don't like additives, but the science on that is solid. Look at the oil FCA specifically made for hemi as your guide, not the oil spec that was forced on them by our gov't.

My neighbour has a 2017 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 V8 which replaced his earlier ram that was in an accident. He has run 5w20 in both and had 0 issues running PYB conventional as per the OLM.
The ram that was in the accident had 180K km (112K miles) He services his truck at the dealer I bought my Caravan/Journey from and they use PYB 5w20 there.

Last edited:
Many examples of people running 5w20 and going 300k miles, many examples of guys running 5w20 and needing a 9 grand cam'lifter swap. It's a thing, at ram forum we have done some testing of lubrication to deal with it, and on ram forumz with the z, they have done a lot of work on registering the issues. The latest spec dropped in 2010 as in gf-5, and guess what the gf-6 spec is taking forever, what are the discussing at the high lubrication court in the land? Cam/lifter wear, amoung other things of course di runs the show, but they are discussing cam/lifters, why? because there is a problem is why. run 5w20 I could care less, but if you own a hemi do some research other then listen to random posters, of which I would be included in that group. Better to look at facts then listen to anyone.

The over whelming cam/lifter failures have been happening with 4 gens, 2009 and up. Consider after a year, all those 2009's started using gf-5 oil. And every other year spent their life in gf-5 oil, low zinc low additive oils. Coincidence? sure whatever, lol.

Originally Posted by burla
Many examples of people running 5w20 and going 300k miles, many examples of guys running 5w20 and needing a 9 grand cam'lifter swap. It's a thing, at ram forum we have done some testing of lubrication to deal with it, and on ram forumz with the z, they have done a lot of work on registering the issues. The latest spec dropped in 2010 as in gf-5, and guess what the gf-6 spec is taking forever, what are the discussing at the high lubrication court in the land? Cam/lifter wear, amoung other things of course di runs the show, but they are discussing cam/lifters, why? because there is a problem is why. run 5w20 I could care less, but if you own a hemi do some research other then listen to random posters, of which I would be included in that group. Better to look at facts then listen to anyone.

And it couldn't possibly be due to a problem with the parts themselves and not the fault of the oil weight used? Although not the same engine but from the same manufacturer. My dad's Penta-Star V6 equipped Caravan went the first 180K on 5w20 conventional and it burns no oil and has no lifter issues and it's a 2012 which supposedly had problems with the roller rockers and cylinder heads enough that they changed the design of the heads.

So just because you hear some isolated cases doesn't mean that they are all going to be a problem or FCA would have released a TSB to change to a 30wt oil like Hyundai has done for some of their engines. It's most likely just a bad batch of lifters that caused the problem and you will ALWAYS hear the bad but never hear all the good out there with folks that have 0 issues. Don't forget this will cost FCA money so if they could fix it with a 30wt oil they would do it. So it's hard to believe it's the oil and not the parts themselves.

Where are the class actions against FCA for 20wt's with lifter problems. Surely there would be a ton of angry customers forming this type of lawsuit considering how many rams are on the road and this isn't happening so it's more than likely isolated and a problem of the part not of the oil.

Last edited:
In the corners of conversation at the lube "courts", is where they discuss issues. If something comes up when vehicles are out of warranty, they can care less. Neither the gov't or manufacturers have a care in the world about vehicles that are out of warranty, they both are invested in new car sales, if cars last forever that doesn't happen. So when they discuss cam/lifter fails, you know they are happening pre-maturely.

gf-6 concerns

Last edited:
I'm not making any statements to the cause, could be anything including low viscosity oil as in their eco diesel and bearing damage. The fix for that, go to 40 weight oi per FCAl. Anything someone does is their lubrication strategy based on their research. I'm just putting out an argument to consider what is going on and consider the viscosity. I'm certainly not saying that 30 weight oil would have changed anything, just that it is certainly "possible" it could have. I bet every guy that had a lifter/cam fail out of warranty wished he woulda considered. Nothing else to add, good day.

Originally Posted by burla
I'm not making any statements to the cause, could be anything including low viscosity oil as in their eco diesel and bearing damage. The fix for that, go to 40 weight oi per FCAl. Anything someone does is their lubrication strategy based on their research. I'm just putting out an argument to consider what is going on and consider the viscosity. I'm certainly not saying that 30 weight oil would have changed anything, just that it is certainly "possible" it could have. I bet every guy that had a lifter/cam fail out of warranty wished he woulda considered. Nothing else to add, good day.

I'm just trying to offer other reasons. With the Eco Diesel something was missed and the 40wt was the bandaid which further proves that they would have done the same thing with the 5.7's if the oil was the cause. Easy to spec a 30wt and move forward but they haven't so I can only suggest that it's most likely a design / part problem that is limited to a certain number of affected units.

Otherwise we would see > with similar issues related to 20wt's as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back