Going strictly Top Tier, after having just used whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellows, I know Top Tier is controversial, but me, I am convinced. Problem is, my '17 Kia Forte, which I plan on being the last owner of, has 30k on it. Sometimes it got Top Tier, sometimes not. But from here on out I will fill up with nothing but, it's easy enough. What say, make the switch and don't think about it anymore, or use an additive too?

Personally, I use Top Tier all the time, and have for an extended period of time. That's just convenience, really. I still do use some Red Line SI-1 once in a while, too, though. Of course, I can't provide definitive proof that either are helpful, but with there being no difference in price between a mainstream non-certified gas here and Top Tier, there's no reason not to, especially if all the local stations are Top Tier, on top of that.

I prefer to use Top Tier and no additional additives.

I don't understand the logic of using cheap gas and then buying expensive additives to clean up the mess it leaves behind, I really don't understand people that obsess over what oil to use and then say gas is gas.

I use whatever. All top tier are good. Some/most whatever are good, too.

I would look at the cost of top tier, and then the cost of buying cheap gas, combined with Techron when Autozone has their BOGO sale every 6-12 months. If it is only a few cents savings per gallon (or none at all), then there really is no reason to go to the time and trouble with additives. When I realized that my local gas station was consistently selling it for 10-20 cents a gallon cheaper than the local Top Tier, then I moved over after years and years of using only top tier in both my cars.

I find you can mix both without an issue.

With my Cobalt it gets Kroger gas more often, but I do put tanks of BP/Mobil as well.

Car seems to be fine with it....

I've run the cheapest stuff around in engines that stated I should use Top-Tier and nothing bad happened. I did run a fuel additive every 10 tanks of fuel or so, so that might have something to do with it.

Now I use Top-Tier only because of the brand I have to use because my work pays.

Originally Posted by paulri
I would look at the cost of top tier, and then the cost of buying cheap gas, - - If it is only a few cents savings per gallon (or none at all).

In Texas, it's almost always the same price, sometime $0.01 per gallon more. It really doesn't pay to use NON-Top Tier gas.

All of the gas stations where I fill up are Top Tier - Hele, Costco and Aloha. There are some non TT in town and out of my way so I don't go there.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Don't worry about it. If it makes you feel better, use some Techron once a year.

^this

The majority of people just put gas and oil .....ANY gas and oil and go many, many miles. IMHO, it makes NO difference.

In my area, the brand names are way way more expensive, and easily outprices no name with a bottle of additives. US Gas near me is 3.11 for super. Closest exxon is 3.59! Cheapest brand name around me is BP at 3.39, but its about 15 minutes away, passing many many other stations that are priced higher. One Exxon it 3.69 and 3.56 for diesel when its 2.99 near me.

I use BP exclusively and still use Techron once a year or so, it's cheap insurance-cheaper than a set of four, six, or even EIGHT fuel injector rebuilds! I used to use Speedway all the time, but after a few injector related misfire codes on relatively new company vans, i realized the few more pennies a gallon were worth it.

Due to problems in the past with Valero (prior to becoming top tier) concerning both auto and lawn equipment I stick with TT......but not Valero. Pricing for no name vs TT is only a penny or two so it's well worth it to me to buy the better fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back