Ferrari 308 & 458: Magnum P.I. TV show is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the 1st show of the 'new look' Magnum P.I. TV show on CBS Monday night.
Seems to me the 308 would be the most fun to drive. Kind of a beast to handle maybe. Not always super smooth like the 458 is.
Anybody have any experience with these two, or at least one of them?

Also, I'm trying to figure out if I like the new version of the show. Noticing Tom Selleck is over doing Blue Bloods at the moment, yet disappointed he didn't make a strange cameo appearance in the new show, similar to having Chuck Yeagar appear in The Right Stuff as a bartender, something like that. Where do you think the new show fails, or succeeds?
https://autoweek.com/article/car-life/multiple-ferraris-squashed-and-shot-magnum-pi-returns-tv

[Linked Image]

Ferrari destruction was gratuitous and shameful.

Worse was the complete lack of understanding of Navy uniforms, including wearing them at the end while still sporting beards and goatees. That was straight out disrespectful. Uniform regulations apply to retired folks, too, if they choose to wear the uniform.

Last edited:
People who own them should want more Ferraris destroyed; makes theirs more valuable...... Wonder if they could fabricated a red fiberglas body on a 3rd-gen camaro chassis to get crash scenes from now on? Like, cut to a distance shot for the wreck, while the real Ferrari is unscathed.... might make their budget look better.

Also, looks like Selleck won't play a bartender for fun in 1 episode, or any other cameo shot that the fans would love: " "I told them that I won't do some cameo guest spot to let the audience know I approve." He's aware that could disappoint some fans of his and the shows. "I'm sure they'd like it, but I have an obligation to my version. And Peter's going to do his take on what a Magnum under some similar circumstances should be about." -- https://www.tvinsider.com/696360/tom-selleck-reacts-magnum-pi-reboot-cbs/

Edit: I just realized you can get replica fake Ferrari's these days for kinda cheap.... They might have used one! That would be savvvy on their part.
http://www.srfoosecars.com/ferrari458.php

Last edited:
My friend has a 328 " an improved 308" It is very pretty to look at but nothing to write home about ! It is dog slow and so low to the ground it sucks as well as a pain to get in and out of. I have done lots of work on it several years ago. Cam belts , lots of hoses valve adjust, replaced the A/C hoses and receiver dryer etc. I wouldn't want a Ferrari if you gave it to me with a credit card to take care of it. I would buy a Porsche.

Originally Posted by CT8
My friend has a 328 " an improved 308" It is very pretty to look at but nothing to write home about ! It is dog slow and so low to the ground it sucks as well as a pain to get in and out of. I have done lots of work on it several years ago. Cam belts , lots of hoses valve adjust, replaced the A/C hoses and receiver dryer etc. I wouldn't want a Ferrari if you gave it to me with a credit card to take care of it. I would buy a Porsche.
"Not the best ergonomics, but something tells me the folks in Maranello at the time didn't give a sheet.(replace "ee" with "i" for what they really said)"- Jalopnik --- is a comment on the over-arching design attitudes for this model, and a statement of the times...... 240 hp for the Quattrovalvole version, that should get you around OK once you learned how to shift it right.
https://jalopnik.com/a-ferrari-308-gtsi-is-terrible-to-drive-today-but-that-1796536618

It does depend on the model of Ferrari. Some definitely more satisfying to drive than others I guess.

It was terrible destroying those Ferraris. The actor should have been driving a pick-up truck or dump truck.

I owned a 308 GTSi for 8 years. Loved it! Handled great. I had European cam timing and headers on mine and in its day if had plenty of power and sounded great. I drove it 150 mph many times.

No lower to the ground, or harder to get in and out of then my Mercedes SLK. That's why they make pick-up trucks and SUVs for some folks.

Every reliable, in 8 years one water pump, timing belts, spark plugs, and lots of tires and brake pads. Cost me much less to maintain then the POS Ford Taurus I owned.

I drove it for 8 years and sold it for way more then I paid for it.

Only regret is I still don't own it and after a while I wish I had bought a red one. Last black car I ever owned.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Astro14
Ferrari destruction was gratuitous and shameful.

Worse was the complete lack of understanding of Navy uniforms, including wearing them at the end while still sporting beards and goatees. That was straight out disrespectful. Uniform regulations apply to retired folks, too, if they choose to wear the uniform.

TV is not meant to be real ,authentic or educational, it just entertains the drones.

Where do you think the new show fails, or succeeds?

JMO. This show will be as painful to watch, and just as bad, as the new "Hawaii Five-0". I guess I'm just too old. I just can't see any reason to resurrect classics like these. How about being original and come up with something new?

Originally Posted by Sierra048

JMO. This show will be as painful to watch, and just as bad, as the new "Hawaii Five-0". I guess I'm just too old. I just can't see any reason to resurrect classics like these. How about being original and come up with something new?

Well said and I concur. There are some shows that just can't be reborn. What will they try next....MASH???

Originally Posted by RTexasF
There are some shows that just can't be reborn. What will they try next....MASH???
While not a direct re-boot of MASH, "China Beach", 4 seasons '88-'92 was pretty good.
There is something difficult about trying to duplicate characters made iconic by the original actors. Replacing Selleck is the weirdest here.

I'm disappointed in Selleck's curmudgeonly attitude about the new show. He should be visiting the set, high-fiving the staff & actors, and doing a fun quick cameo with a smile. People get old and grumpy I guess.

Originally Posted by Stevie
It was terrible destroying those Ferraris. The actor should have been driving a pick-up truck or dump truck.
As I posted above, there are some convincing-looking Ferrari look alike kits or already built cars you can buy, and they are near worthless & don't cost much to drive & wreck on a show. Either that, or take a '90 Camaro, saw it up, and place red fiberglas molded panels in the fab shop.....etc.... I'd almost bet they used those as stand-ins for the 308 & 458 they trashed in the show. Maybe the truth will come out about it.

Originally Posted by Stevie
I owned a 308 GTSi for 8 years. Loved it! Handled great.
Interesting result for you, reliable too. I'd have thought Ferrari's reputation for reliability would be as terrible as Jaguar's, especially in those days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sierra048

pfft, ain't nobody got time for that!
06.gif

TV networks are about making money. Not trying new, creative things with hopes it'll succeed

I believe Tom Selleck was a choice for Indiana Jones but his Magnum contract prevented him from taking the role. Probably cost him big-time career and financially. There may be some underlying resentment.

Were real Ferraris destroyed, these were at least common volume production cars.
We're not talking 365s or 275s or 250s.
They were more likely cars built on barely functional Fiero platforms.

I counted 8,414 308 GTS (targa ones specifically) were produced from '77-'85 (including 208's produced, look-alikes).
Assuming 1/3 are no longer on the road, crashed or whatever, that's 5,609 examples on the planet.
Assume half were red, so that's 2,804 red, targa, 308 (or 208), cars to choose from in the world right now.

Red targa ones currently on sale typically go for $50k-$90k.
A really good kit car version probably is $20k-$30k, great condition.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Not sure how I feel about Higgins being a female.
I like hot women in roles. Not the entire cast, but its good they have a "regular hottie" for us guys.
Takes a while to get used to the new faces all around though, I admit.
I like the actor (Hernandez) that plays Magnum much better now that I've heard him talk about cars. See the link above to the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back