Nokian Hakkapelitta R3 - Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on this tire for winter? (Price isn't a factor)

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3

https://www.nokiantires.com/hakkapeliitta-r3 (Company website)
https://www.youtube.com/embed/ED0sR4KYTHY (A look at the tire - Promotional Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMTtC17fH9A (Tested in Vermont)

Some say that the best way to drive safely in a snowstorm is to postpone your trip. Even though the challenge of navigating through a sudden snowstorm or rapidly freezing roads is well known, people living in the North must keep moving, no matter the weather.

Whether it's a case of a chilling blizzard or driveways blanketed in a thick carpet of snow, the new non-studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 Nordic winter tire offers drivers much-needed peace of mind. The driving is wonderfully controlled, precise and quiet in slippery and bare roads alike.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 - The perfect balance between safety and comfort.

Excellent winter grip, enjoyable driving feel

The extreme grip challenge of the Northern winter is overcome with the Arctic Sense Grip concept. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 adapts to all variations of winter using different, carefully tailored sipes, which work optimally on ice, snow and bare roads. The new-generation rubber compound boosts optimal grip with Cryo Crystal 3 particles. Made of renewable bio-material, these microscopic crystals work like built-in studs, improving grip on ice by grabbing onto the driving surface and bringing peace of mind.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I had a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires on a 96 RAV4. That was 20 years ago and the tread on my tires bears no resemblance to the tires in the ad picture. They were excellent tires then.

I wanted to hear from folks here because of the other thread where they ranked behind other brands. I've had good luck and these R3's are an improvement over the R2 that had terrible wet breaking performance supposedly.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I wanted to hear from folks here because of the other thread where they ranked behind other brands. I've had good luck and these R3's are an improvement over the R2 that had terrible wet breaking performance supposedly.

Had the R2 SUV model on wife's Q5 for 4 seasons now, and honestly, I have no complaints about their performance, but I have nothing to compare them to on this particular vehicle either. If they have terrible wet braking performance, I haven't observed it, or maybe I just wasn't in a situation where I had to push them to their limits under those conditions. The only small negative I can mention is that they're a bit loud.

I would have no problem getting the R3, although when the time comes, I will look at what else is on the market.

I've bought several sets (4 tires) of Nokian snow tires over the years. Every set has been great. I'd buy these without hesitation.

I just got a set of WR-G3s last week. Haven't seen snow yet, but that comes soon. I'll update you how they do if I remember

That being said, Nokian's been in business quite a while and they're well respected for making quality products. I wouldn't think twice about running them. My old boss ran them on his personal vehicles and swore by them.

I would guess they improved it where improvement was needed, wet performance, noise, comfort.
Also, depends on price too. I figured in snow and ice they are better then Michelin Xi2 I had, but not anything significant. However, they are significantly worse in other categories then Michelin. The question for you is how much of snowy days you will see. Personally, although for me they were disappointment considering all the hype, if deep snow, ice, blizzards etc. are very common and something that is at the top of your concern, I would again go with them. But, if you have warm days, sunny days, rain etc. maybe another tire would be better option.

Originally Posted by k1xv
Here in Vermont, if you have a Subaru with Nokians on it, women will follow you home.
blush.gif

lol.gif
That's funny for so many different reasons.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I've bought several sets (4 tires) of Nokian snow tires over the years. Every set has been great. I'd buy these without hesitation.

I could not agree more. Fabulous winter tires.

Sam

Did some investigating and the 19" version of this tire for my Highlander is $75 more a tire than the 18" and trying to track down 19" steel rims with the bolt pattern for my Highlander is near impossible, no one seems to stock them and if they do they are a ridiculous price. I can find Alloys no problem but they are wicked expensive and for the winter I'm not paying to have fancy pants rims on there.

Good news is I can get 18" of these tires and steel rims to match so I think I'm going to go that route. My speedometer will be a little off, but meh.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences with this brand. Previously I used Michelin X-Ice and had been happy with those but wanted to try something different and because it's covered by my company I can be picky.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
Nokian makes some of the best tires around, period. Go for it.

Cheers...

Originally Posted by StevieC
Did some investigating and the 19" version of this tire for my Highlander is $75 more a tire than the 18" and trying to track down 19" steel rims with the bolt pattern for my Highlander is near impossible, no one seems to stock them and if they do they are a ridiculous price. I can find Alloys no problem but they are wicked expensive and for the winter I'm not paying to have fancy pants rims on there.

Good news is I can get 18" of these tires and steel rims to match so I think I'm going to go that route. My speedometer will be a little off, but meh.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences with this brand. Previously I used Michelin X-Ice and had been happy with those but wanted to try something different and because it's covered by my company I can be picky.
grin2.gif

Why would speedometer be off if you go with 18"? 18" is standard size on Highlander.

I would like to get the best winter tire possible for my 02 Camry 205/65-15. I want to have some fun this winter with that car. Where is the best place to buy Nokian tires from???

Originally Posted by Traction
I would like to get the best winter tire possible for my 02 Camry 205/65-15. I want to have some fun this winter with that car. Where is the best place to buy Nokian tires from???

Nokian just came out with the new R3 tire. As of now, Tires by Web seems to be the only place that has the new R3 in your size 205/65-15

Walmart has the older R2 at a great price
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by Traction

Nokian just came out with the new R3 tire. As of now, Tires by Web seems to be the only place that has the new R3 in your size 205/65-15

Walmart has the older R2 at a great price
smile.gif

Thanks. I'm interested in buying the latest/greatest winter tire, studded, or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back