10 day road trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the first time in more than 15 years, I took a long vacation away from everything. I was originally going to take my 4Runner, but I'm able to get a really good deal through Hertz as they have a location where I work. I figured the numbers on a Camry and it would cost less to rent it plus gas than gas alone would in the 4R. A coworker told me what it cost him to rent a Wrangler for a week after it was all said and done.
shocked2.gif
Which got me thinking...."I'm going on vacation...what would a Mustang GT cost...or...a Vette?!?" I talked with Hertz about my plans and they said they would try for the Vette, but the GT wouldn't be a problem. Yay! The day before I was supposed to pick up the car, I was told a Vette had been returned and would be available. Double yay! It ends up being a convertible with some highly polished Klingon looking wheels...I assumed it would be a hardtop...they look SO much better and I don't like convertibles! I was told there was a GT in the lot so I asked if I could take a look. Sure...no problem. I turn the corner to where its parked and my jaw dropped. Its not your run of the mill GT. It is one of the performance package GTs! Silver...my favorite car color. Recaro seats. Rear spoiler. Throw a few stickers on and its almost a race car! "Yes, please! I'll take the GT instead!"

I used to live in Kalispell MT, graduated high school there and I wanted to see it again. So I hit four National Parks: Zion, Bryce, Glacier and Yellowstone on the way up and down in the wickedly cool GT. Got a speeding ticket just outside of Browning MT because I was looking at my directions and didn't realize I had accelerated, which is WAY too easy in this car. Cop was cool, knocked the speed down, paid a small fine and was on my way. A tiny bit of extra right foot pressure and you've gained 5-10 mph. I caught this happening quite a bit and after the ticket, I used the cruise control about 90% more.
About two days from the trip ending, a guy asks about the car...he has one too. He's really surprised it a rental. He then asks if I've tried the Sport mode. "S" on shifter, right? Nope, toggle switch below info center! He tells me what it does. Harder shifts and different shift points. Wish I'd have known from day one!

Drove my 4R (stiffer than stock Bilstein shocks, which drastically improved the handling) and it might as well be a covered wagon compared to the GT! I thought something might be wrong with it since it sat for ten days. Nope, just me being used to sports car handling, braking, and acceleration. Man, what an great drive and an awesome car!

A picture of each park and one of the car:

Zion NP.jpg

Bryce NP.jpg

Glacier NP.jpg

Yellowstone NP.jpg

Mustang GT in Glacier.jpg

Beautiful pics, I did Glacier and Yellowstone last year.

But a Mustang over a Vette!?
crazy2.gif
spankme2.gif
09.gif
31.gif

Need to get your head checked out!
grin2.gif

I spent a day driving through the mountains etc in my FIL's '03 Vette and it was NOT a super comfortable ride, but it probably doesn't compare to new Corvettes... I would have chosen the Mustang also, I reckon.

Beautiful pics & nice car -- America the beautiful !!! I would have chosen the Corvette also -- some Mustangs catch my eye from time to time but Vettes & newer Vettes do "all the time!!!"

Dale

Last edited:
Awesome shots! Could I ask what it cost to rent? I keep wanting to take some time off and do a trip like this in a new Mustang.

I was too tired last night to post more pics so here are a few more.

Vette vs Mustang: If I could have had one of the new Vette models shown in the pic below, hands down I would have chosen it over the Mustang (especially the silver one
20.gif
). I sat in both cars and the Mustang felt much better, not to mention being able to see much better in the Ford, too. I had two medium sized duffle bags and I don't know if the Vette could have taken them unless I put one on the front seat. If I had a passenger with the convertible Vette, NO WAY would luggage have fit. If you have a chance, try out a Mustang like the one I drove, not a base GT. Believe me, I had a grin on my face QUITE often! I look at the Mustang experience as wholly positive...barring the ticket! I got to drive this very cool car and next time I still have the chance of driving a Vette. I would have never had THIS experience if I drove the Vette since this particular Mustang, I believe, was a fluke that it was available. I would take this car in a heartbeat next time if a (hardtop!) Vette wasn't available!

HemiHawk - I actually don't know what the cost is yet. The Hertz manager still has to "fiddle" with the numbers
grin.gif
! But it is somewhere around $250, I think. Mind you, this is NOT typical since this manager really takes care of us since we help them out a lot!

csandste - Was too tired to do more last night...here ya go!

Glacier NP 1.jpg

N AZ off 89A.jpg

Tetons.jpg

Outside Bryce.jpg

Vettes in Bryce.jpg

N AZ off 89.jpg

E of Cerdar City UT on 14.jpg

E side of Glacier NP.jpg

I used to live in Polson for several years - at the south end of Flathead lake.

I still have relatives in the Kalispell area, and I need to make a trip there again soon!

Thanks for the fun write-up

Originally Posted by Toy4x4
HemiHawk - I actually don't know what the cost is yet. The Hertz manager still has to "fiddle" with the numbers
grin.gif
! But it is somewhere around $250, I think. Mind you, this is NOT typical

I rented a Ford Fusion from Hertz 2 years ago for 3 days (For a funeral).... that was $255

You made out much better than me !!!!!!!!!!!

Nice! I came back from a 9-day road trip to the PNW from Illinois earlier this month too. It's amazing you can hit super high mountains and then a giant desert landscape in the same country and (relatively) short distance. Too bad you didn't hit Capital Reef/Canyonlands/Arches on your way down/up too, those are some freeways there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back