Flushing out old brake fluid on dirt bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mighty-Vac hand pump
smile.gif

I have one of the big mityvac fluid evacuators I use for everything

Realistically, you should be able to do it like a car. Pump the lever, crack the bleeder, close it, release the lever. Rinse and repeat

When I had my Yamaha I just did it the regular way where you pump the brake lever. I did cheap a little and install speed bleeders, though.

If you have a compressor they have an pneumatic brake bleeder at HF thats da bomb. Attach to air put the rubber tube on the bleeder then crack it open then pull the trigger. and the fluid will get sucked thru the system. Of course you need to make sure the reservoir does not go dry. I also cycle the lever wilst doing this so that fluid also is replaced. Brakes clutches etc are quickly done.

Last edited:
A dirt bike is easy as one person can do it and there are only 2 bleeder valves. Just a word of caution, don't squeeze the handle too hard/quick when bleeding/pumping or you'll get a stream shoot straight out of it.

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Mighty-Vac hand pump
smile.gif

+1000

if you own a mighty-vac it is THE way to do it.

IF (big if) you do not own a mighty-vac, its time for you to learn the better way!
wink.gif

Flushed/changed brake fluid for first time in my life this fall on 2008 Harley Road King (no ABS). Bought a mityvac (8100 I think) at harbor freight with a 25% off coupon. Used the tip that goes to a point and stuck that into the bleeder end, worked like a charm. No air introduced during bleed, worked like a charm, highly recommend this method. Better yet if you have someone else to keep the master reservoir filled. I had to bleed open bleeder, let it drain for 10 sec or so, then close valve and keep reservoir filled myself so some back and forth involved.

agrree with erv. with only two discs and tiny reservoirs, I would deffinitely do it manually; no need to mess around with tools & equipment

I would say Motive Bleeder, but I'm not sure if they have adapters for bikes.

Last edited:
I ended up buying a couple of large 200 cc syringes at the feed store and some tubing and did a back flush. This bike hold very little fluid so that worked pretty slick.

What's nice about this method you can visibly see that you are not getting any air by looking through the clear tubing as you inject. Any air rises naturally to the top of the syringe.

I made a hook so I could hook the syringe up near the clutch lever between flushes or checking/removing old fluid from the master cylinder.

Thanks for the help.

Pump lever and open/close bleeder valve, refill, repeat. You know... the old-fashioned way.
I already have too many specialty tools and equipment taking up space in the garage. Trying to downsize rather than increase the collection.

Thanks, That is the method I have used in the past. The syringe method was mentioned and I asked a riding buddy if he knew how and he walked me through it over the phone. I can't watch videos here (dial-up) so YouTube is useless.

From now on I'm going to use a syringe. Its slick and no way air is getting in there. I did both my dirt bikes, all brakes and the clutch on one and everything is solid.

If you want to reverse bleed the best tool I have found is an old fashioned oil can.

Fit a small hose over the end that will fit snugly on the bleeder and pump away. Just make sure to label the can so you don't use it for anything else.
If it has a clear hose like in this pic, just cut the original tip off. That way you won't get it confused with another.
A friend gave me this tip years ago when I had a bike that was terrible for front brake fade. Had to do this more often than I care to remember.

I find syringes to be a real pain to use. This works so much better.

589160.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back