02-05 Silverado frame rot

Status
Not open for further replies.
My co-workers Silverado frame split in half. Anyone know of any known issues and if GM has any open recalls, like Toyota trucks?

A buddy of mine had a 98 that the frame started to bend between the box and cab, but never split in half.

35.gif

GM threads always go sideways in 5...4...3....2...1......

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
My co-workers Silverado frame split in half. Anyone know of any known issues and if GM has any open recalls, like Toyota trucks?
We seriously need some pics of that! Obviously Toyota has had rust issues, and I've heard of Dodge Rams tearing the front frame rails, but I hadn't heard of any GM pickups losing a frame to rust. Better warm up the Fluid Film sprayer!

The frame on my 14 Sierra isn't pretty but I'm not too worried about from a structural standpoint. The wax like coating they put on the frame comes off pretty easy and exposes bare metal. Wish they would just powder coat the frames instead.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Never heard of it, my parents have one and they would be notorious around here.

Frame bent at box = vastly overloaded.

We were loading cases of water into it. It developed a very visible bend. We very quickly started to unload the cases of water, LOL! It was an old girl with close to 400K on it though.

My 2013 Silverado 2500 HD frame rusted in less than a year...Chevy agreed to repair it and removed the cab and bed to do so...18 months later it was worse...and the rims delaminated and looked terrible....I sold the truck in 2017 before it got even worse.

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
You haven't been washing the undercarriage of your truck that's is why it's your fault the frame is rusting. Not my words, it's GM's since they won't issue a recall even on the steel brake lines prone to corrosion due to poor material use.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/new...rneath-their-cars-and-trucks-040915.html
https://www.freep.com/story/money/2015/04/08/general-motors-safety-brake-corroded/25460269/

Something I like to do when washing vehicles after salt exposure is to place a lawn sprinkler under the vehicle and slide it around to wash the salt off. I wash the car and blast the wheel wheels with a nozzle first.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

We were loading cases of water into it. It developed a very visible bend. We very quickly started to unload the cases of water, LOL! It was an old girl with close to 400K on it though.
Yikes!

Many (not all) of the GM ones with broken frames that I notice are Mexico built. Toyota was the only company that did a solid for their customers the rest blamed the area the truck was operated in . I just recently saw a 08 broken in 2 pieces.

Toyota had a problem and they took care of. On my Gen 1 Tundra when it was 9 years old and me as 2nd owner I get a letter from Toyota come bring in your truck, with 100K miles on it, and they took off the bed, stripped off every bit of rust on the frame and then rustproofed the frame and filled the frame tubes with a wax like rustproofing, and the exterior with black coating. Now think about that. They did that for my truck... at no cost to me.

My truck is now 15 years old and still a daily driver. Six winters later parked outdoors and another 50,000 miles and the Toyota rustproofing has held up remarkable well. And there is no body rust on the vehicle whatsoever. I see plenty of Ford and GMC pickups here in the frozen north much younger than mine, with rusted out rockers, bumpers, wheel wells rotting off, rotten tailgates, etc. I recently did the whole undercarriage of my Tundra with Corroseal paint because not everything under there is 'frame'.

You haven't been washing the undercarriage of your truck that's is why it's your fault the frame is rusting. Not my words, it's GM's since they won't issue a recall even on the steel brake lines prone to corrosion due to poor material use.

Tons of vehicles use steel brake lines-- them rotting away is a common occurrence up north, I fail to see how it's a GM problem. Most vehicles get safety inspections and these types of problems get noticed before it becomes a safety issue. In the event a brake line does fail, there is still a failsafe built in such that you will still have two wheels with brakes. Not ideal of course, but owners should be getting these things inspected on a semi-regular basis, especially in the rust belt.

Water is heavy....1 pint = 1 pound.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/new...rneath-their-cars-and-trucks-040915.html
https://www.freep.com/story/money/2015/04/08/general-motors-safety-brake-corroded/25460269/

My Chev's brake lines aren't going to make it more than a year or 2 more because of the mag Phosphate, or Sodium Phosphate, or whatever the heck they spray on the roads up here, its brutal! Its been exposed to 9 winters of this deicer and the whole underside of my truck is well on its way to the rust pile! On the other side of the coin, if they didn't deice the road, dead bodies would be piled up till the middle of spring. Its next to a lake, they have no choise.

Originally Posted by JLTD

Water is heavy....1 pint = 1 pound.

Yes, this would have been maybe 10 cases of water, so a decent amount of weight. We ended up just putting them in the F-250.

As much as I am not a GM truck fan, I have to admit many trucks/vehicles out there also have rusty frames.

Toyota is one of them and I believe they had to settle a class action suit over them.

Google truck frames bending or breaking and you should see many?

Krown or Rust Check or some other form of rust proofing spray everywhere, plus a good washing underneath occasionally will do wonders.

break4.jpg

Originally Posted by wdn
Toyota had a problem and they took care of. On my Gen 1 Tundra when it was 9 years old and me as 2nd owner I get a letter from Toyota come bring in your truck, with 100K miles on it, and they took off the bed, stripped off every bit of rust on the frame and then rustproofed the frame and filled the frame tubes with a wax like rustproofing, and the exterior with black coating. Now think about that. They did that for my truck... at no cost to me.

My truck is now 15 years old and still a daily driver. Six winters later parked outdoors and another 50,000 miles and the Toyota rustproofing has held up remarkable well. And there is no body rust on the vehicle whatsoever. I see plenty of Ford and GMC pickups here in the frozen north much younger than mine, with rusted out rockers, bumpers, wheel wells rotting off, rotten tailgates, etc. I recently did the whole undercarriage of my Tundra with Corroseal paint because not everything under there is 'frame'.
I'm not sure what this post is about? Your car had corrosion issues to the point of having a frame recall and you spin that into a positive, then you critique GM's sheet metal corrosion resistance? I'd rather have rusty sheet metal than a rotten frame, wouldn't you? Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, buddy.

I don't think you need to spray the underside of your car with a garden sprinkler, oil spray once per annum is enough. Not all cars are equally as corrosion resistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back