Suggestion: "Likes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, this is not a popularity contest forum or a bunch of teenage girls that need to be told how great we are.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Couple of comments/suggestions:

1) Only offer a 'like', thumbs-up, or thanks. No 'dislike', no thumbs-down. That way no one is butt-hurt
2) Don't show that a post rec'd this marking. The poster that rec'd it can be notified though so that they know.
3) Don't include the number of thanks, likes, etc under the username (on the left-hand side of posts).

Related to # 3, what about removing, or not displaying, the number of posts people have ? Many times I've seen long-time members with a bazillion posts ridicule a poster - comments like "as if you know anything about fixing 'x' with your low post count" - based on them not having "enough" posts here.

1. So we can only agree with others? Need to inflate others egos? Can't have any negativity though, that would make me feel bad.
2. Well if you are going to like my post, I want others to know, it makes me feel better that others know that others like my posts.
3. See # 2, what is the point of you liking me and others knowing how many others have liked my post if your not going to show that I am liked and thanked?

As for number of posts, they mean nothing. You can have 3 posts and be a jerk, you can have 30,000 posts and be a jerk.
I can't recall any "as if you know anything about fixing 'x' with your low post count" comments.
Now if somebody comes here and posts something stupid/incorrect and has low post count (like Fram is the worst filter ever, synthetic oil makes you engine leak, etc) then yes, they will get ripped on as a noob, and their low post count may be brought up.

I would be fine with the post count being dropped from the posts screen, just have it in the profile.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Related to # 3, what about removing, or not displaying, the number of posts people have ? Many times I've seen long-time members with a bazillion posts ridicule a poster - comments like "as if you know anything about fixing 'x' with your low post count" - based on them not having "enough" posts here.

No way. Sometimes along with content the post count is the best information we have to identify repeat troll posters.

I'd say this is a technical forum and not a social one. I like the simple format and specific guidelines here. So a "like" button is, I feel, inappropriate.

I can easily envision a bad post getting plenty of "likes" and showing just who "liked" the post. The same bad eggs will "like" all of the inaccurate, unhelpful and misleading posts. This leads to visible consensus that may carry meaning to an uninformed viewer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
I'd say this is a technical forum and not a social one. I like the simple format and specific guidelines here. So a "like" button is, I feel, inappropriate.

I can easily envision a bad post getting plenty of "likes" and showing just who "liked" the post. The same bad eggs will "like" all of the inaccurate, unhelpful and misleading posts. This leads to visible consensus that may carry meaning to an uninformed viewer.

Three thumbs up!

LOL yes that would simply raise a huge I'm a Troll flag.

Last edited:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by PimTac
There are thumbs up and down buttons over at the fritzistheoilguy website.

I'm in agreement with cujet.

DE9EF5FF-9E82-477B-AEF0-8EC7B84F9AB9.png

Originally Posted by Garak
The report button is the butthurt button.
wink.gif

Hahaha! It's a public forum. Anyone can join. So everyone needs to realize that there will be people here you do not like, people who can't spell, etc. Get over it.

Originally Posted by Garak
The report button is the butthurt button.
wink.gif

I suspect that the admins can keep track of people who use the 'report' button for childish, petty stuff and deal with those reporters accordingly. I've used it only a couple of times and when I do, I add the reason why. Last one I remember was someone insulting another member (and nothing was done about it).

People are hitting the Report button because of bad spelling? Guess it's possible around here...
lol.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
People are hitting the Report button because of bad spelling? Guess it's possible around here...
lol.gif

If I figure out what they are trying to convey I'm ok with that I'm not particularly enamored with spelling and grammar Nazi's!

OR YOUR YELLING NAZI'S!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
If I figure out what they are trying to convey I'm ok with that I'm not particularly enamored with spelling and grammar Nazi's!

OR YOU'RE YELLING NAZI'S!

Violation: improper use of apostrophe.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

smile.gif

Thanks for making my point

Double thumbs up II.jpg

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

smile.gif

Thanks for making my point
It was a joke, hence the smiley face.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Hahaha! It's a public forum. Anyone can join. So everyone needs to realize that there will be people here you do not like, people who can't spell, etc. Get over it.

Exactly. We're here to learn and enjoy.

hallstevenson: I imagine there could be consequences for overdoing reporting. It certainly is useful for something placed in the wrong subforum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back