Which Performance Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've fallen down the rabbit hole here guys, help me out.

I've got a K&N FIPK installed on the Carrera, and it uses a cone filter. Chasing efficiency, I figured that this would be as simple as installing an AEM DryFlow, but there are more options than I could have imagined. You have:

Oiled:

K&N - multi-layer (?) cotton gauze
Green - multi-layer (?) cotton gauze
Airaid Sythaflow - 4 layer cotton gauze, one layer synthetic
aFe Pro 5R - 5 layer cotton gauze
aFe Pro GUARD 7 - 5 layer cotton gauze, 2 layer synthetic

Dry:

Amsoil (anyone know who makes these for them?)
AEM DryFlow - single layer synthetic
aFe Pro Dry S - three layer synthetic
Airaid Synthamax - two layer synthetic

Can anyone here shine a light in the dark?

Right now all I can really research is manufacturer's marketing, each one saying their filter is the best.

aFe touts their PRO GUARD 7 media as flowing better and filtering better than their other two lines, so I was planning on going that route.

The Amsoil filter is attractive as well, but efficiency and CoO is oddly missing from their advertising.

IMG_20180719_124719-01.jpeg

It is hard for me to imagine that Cotton gauze filters are as bad as people make them out to be, but they supposedly have fairly low filtration ratings. I personally am a fan of the AEM Dry flow series as they supposedly have good filtration ratings and are still going to breathe air well. Plus you don't have to worry about over oiling them. I haven't tried anything other than OE style air filters or filters from K&N/AEM so I can't give much more opinion past that.

Originally Posted by mazdamonky
It is hard for me to imagine that Cotton gauze filters are as bad as people make them out to be, but they supposedly have fairly low filtration ratings. I personally am a fan of the AEM Dry flow series as they supposedly have good filtration ratings and are still going to breathe air well. Plus you don't have to worry about over oiling them. I haven't tried anything other than OE style air filters or filters from K&N/AEM so I can't give much more opinion past that.

I installed an OEM Dryflow A/F in combination with removing the snorkel on my 2014 Focus 5 speed M/T and the drivability improvement is very noticeable.
It no longer bogs down at take off as if it were suffocating.

I've only used K&N when going performance so wouldn't be of any real service to your question. My question to you concerns how close the cone filter is to your oil fill cap... is it touching and is that how it's supposed to be?

Last edited:
Amsoil isn't making air filters any longer. Stopped a few years back but they were made by Donaldson and those folks are still making filters. Speak with Overkill he knows a lot about Donaldson.

Originally Posted by wemay
I've only used K&N when going performance so wouldn't be of any real service to your question. My question to you concerns how close the cone filter is to your oil fill cap... is it touching and is that how it's supposed to be?

It is not touching. The filter itself is below the cap and there is about 1/2" of separation from the filter top to the fill tube.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Amsoil isn't making air filters any longer. Stopped a few years back but they were made by Donaldson and those folks are still making filters. Speak with Overkill he knows a lot about Donaldson.

I sure can buy one right now from Amsoil. Amsoil EAAU3560

I have run an AEM DryFlow with the AEM "sock" in my k20 EP3. 6500 oci with Amsoil report from Blackstone showed 14ppm Silicone, Insolubles % 0.1.
So I am happy with that.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

It is not touching. The filter itself is below the cap and there is about 1/2" of separation from the filter top to the fill tube.

Originally Posted by StevieC

I sure can buy one right now from Amsoil. Amsoil EAAU3560

They must have brought them back because they were discontinued. Thanks for letting me know.

Got it.

AEM dryflow. You simply can't beat it in terms of both flow and filtering efficiency it's pretty much as good as it gets. The Donaldson Volant powercore filters are more efficient in terms of filtering efficiency, but those particular filters have shown to pick up restriction pretty quick as a result of their efficiency. But this has only shown itself to be on engines with seriously High airflow. Such as diesels with turbochargers and big cubic inches.

I'm going on 45000 miles now on my AEM dryflow filter, and I have yet to wash it, and have yet to see any indicated restriction on my filter minder which has been tested routinely. Silicon levels are as low as they ever were on the factory panel filter.

Last edited:
When I've used them I've been more satisfied with AFE vs K&N or others in terms of butt dyno and UOA insolubles.

Originally Posted by CT8
K&N especially in a Porsche is blasphemy.

You're free to do whatever you like with your own Porsche.

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
What do other PCA members say/recommend? That's where I'd go ask.

Most owners are happy to use the K&N that comes with the kit. Honestly I am too, but if I can run a cone filter with a higher efficiency, I will.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Green filter doesn't use gauze. It's a woven cotton fabric.

And gauze is...?

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
What do other PCA members say/recommend? That's where I'd go ask.

Most owners are happy to use the K&N that comes with the kit. Honestly I am too, but if I can run a cone filter with a higher efficiency, I will.

And gauze is...?

Cotton fiber weaved in a square pattern with large holes.

Green filters are not gauze based filters. It's more akin to using a polo shirt for filtration. It doesn't have the giant holes a k&n type filter has

Last edited:

And gauze is...?

Cotton fiber weaved in a square pattern with large holes.

Green filters are not gauze based filters. It's more akin to using a polo shirt for filtration. It doesn't have the giant holes a k&n type filter has

Gauze is a fabric. When you look at K&N media and Green media, they look nearly identical.

Have you used Green filters before? Are they what you'd choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back