Interesting Bicycle Drive System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the answer to our wonderful CVT problems?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I think it would work fine with a little bit of Chain Lube on there. I can't see how it would be a problem unless you are going through a ton of mud etc.

That's a pretty amazing outside the box design. I can think of 2 possible problems, in 1st gear, the biggest, if the rider was really putting some force into it the sprocket would want to flex away from the 1 bearing in contact with it. The other problem would be wear with one bearing transmitting power onto one tooth. Normal chain/sprocket drivetrain spreads the force across all teeth wrapped by the chain. Still, fresh thinking that hopefully will be further developed. Thanks for sharing this.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
That's a pretty amazing outside the box design. I can think of 2 possible problems, in 1st gear, the biggest, if the rider was really putting some force into it the sprocket would want to flex away from the 1 bearing in contact with it. The other problem would be wear with one bearing transmitting power onto one tooth. Normal chain/sprocket drivetrain spreads the force across all teeth wrapped by the chain. Still, fresh thinking that hopefully will be further developed. Thanks for sharing this.

Yup, that's what I was thinking as well, plus this prototype does not have the shifting mechanism. The way it is set up now, I don't see it being able to shift easily while putting down torque to the wheels, Mid gear changes going up a hill look pretty much impossible with this setup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I think it would work fine with a little bit of Chain Lube on there. I can't see how it would be a problem unless you are going through a ton of mud etc.

I'm a bit dubious also. My road bike doesn't see mud on a regular basis--but it does on occasion. And plenty of dirt roads. Being the luddite I am, I'm ok with trashing my 3x9 setup, parts are cheap. Just change 'em all in the spring.

I predict failure, regardless of how good it may be. Not so much about cost as much as... are the pros using it? If not, no way it'll survive.

But it's a bit of cool tech, no doubt about that.

way too many failure modes, areas for intrusion and binding, plus a thrust to the side due to the "gear" meshing thrusts.

It's purty, but a lot of purty engineering isn't ultimately practical.

I saw this a few weeks back and really dug into it. I think it is extremely interesting and could actually result in something new. They don't appear to be rushing anything and are trying to address many of the issues mentioned in the above posts. If they can work out the quirks and kinks, this could be a very cool development.

That all being said, there have been many cool developments that never saw the light of day due to mismanagement and poor foresight. So I'm not holding my breath, but I am staying tuned for now.

I'm not sure why everyone is so concerned about it getting dirty or contaminated. I can't see why there wouldn't/couldn't be some kind of cover or guard over the finished design.

Originally Posted by MotoTribologist
I'm not sure why everyone is so concerned about it getting dirty or contaminated. I can't see why there wouldn't/couldn't be some kind of cover or guard over the finished design.

My thoughts exactly. Lightweight clear plastic housing.

Originally Posted by 853okg
I wouldn't ride with someone using that giant cheese grater.

Have you seen some of the latest cassettes? Look like they're using pie plates for the low gears.

Most damage I get all year is when I ride my lower end bike which has metal platforms on it. Inevitably I wind up tapping the pedal just right and spin around & smacks me in the shin. And being metal it'll leave a mark.

cassette.PNG

Just saw one of those at the LBS this morning. Looks like a great granny gear. One should be able to ride that straight up a wall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back