Will large displacement NA V-8s make a comeback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, it seems like everything has a 2 liter turbo, even the larger vehicles. Of course there are still trucks and some SUVs that have larger displacement V-8s, but it certainly seems like the auto industry is trying to do away with these engines. Anyone else long for the good ol' NA V-8s?

Originally Posted by grampi
Today, it seems like everything has a 2 liter turbo, even the larger vehicles. Of course there are still trucks and some SUVs that have larger displacement V-8s, but it certainly seems like the auto industry is trying to do away with these engines. Anyone else long for the good ol' NA V-8s?

Do I long for them? Yes, that's why I own a Crown Vic. BUT I am going to be realistic here and say the days of the V8 are passing. Look at the new Silverado and all its engine options. In a few years it's just gonna be the little engines... the V8 will be gone.

Last edited:
I own a 2009 F150 with the 5.4L V8 (with a 5 star tune) (the tune was required to get the throttle to open fully and respond properly to commands)
I also have a 2011 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and now a 2018 with the 2.7 Ecoboost. All are SuperCrew 4x4 with 3.55 rear gears. The 2018 has the 10 speed automatic.

Without a doubt, the V8 is the most enjoyable to drive. It's not even close, and it has NOTHING to do with the sound. All of them have stock intake and exhausts. Ya really can't hear much of anything. Especially when listening to music or books.

It's the utterly instant response and instant acceleration, the wonderful part throttle feel and part throttle acceleration, and the complete lack of drama that makes the V8 so pleasant. Even my wife, who is not a car enthusiast, refuses to drive the 2011 Ecoboost and she feels that it's "annoying" to drive.

The 5.0 F150's rev a bit higher than a tuned 5.4, but otherwise feel very similar.

I love the turbocharged engines, but I concede the V8 is much more pleasant.

Anyone else long for the good ol' NA V-8s?
Their days in everyday "average" cars are probably numbered since they have a huge negative impact on CAFE and most people just don't care to feed them with huge amounts of gas. They will still be around in the future, but mostly in some exotic (read: very expensive) applications.

Anyone else long for the good ol' NA V-8s?

Nope. The only vehicles that need V8s are sports cars like Mustang, Camaro, Corvette. And that's more for the sound than anything else. The 5.0 in the Mustang is a great sounding engine and has great power as well.

I love, love both my Ecoboost 3.5's for the linear power they offer. They don't have the sound but they sure have the power. I honestly wish Ford would do a Ecoboost 4.0 or 4.5 for the Superduties. Our next truck will be one (for a future 5th wheel purchase) and I'm not sure I want the expense of Diesel.

Last edited:
There is a 2004 Bentley Arnage Red Label 6.8L turbo ( Rolls Royce handbuilt) for sale down the street from me for only 37 grand. Previously owned by Locally NBA Celtic .

700 lb-ft of torque. mInt condition hand made beauty.

I want it but I don't have a garage!!!

I don't necessarily think it will be a "comeback", but you will see them where there is demand for them like the application bdcardinal touched on or the SRT vehicles. People like the feel of a larger displacement V8 and if it can reasonable fuel economy? Even better. The increased simplicity for service and repair is also desirable in some circles.

The V8 will still stick around for performance cars and trucks. Fleets will appreciate the durability of the V8 over a small TGDI engine. Lexus has downgraded the latest LS to a 3.5L twin-turbo DI V6 but oddly enough is still using the 10+ year old 2UR-GSE NA DI V8 from the IS F in the LC500 and GS F. I've haven't driven a F-150 with the Ecoboost, but the new turbo Mustangs and Camaros just sound... weird. I drove a Subaru Ascent with the 2.4L turbo flat-4 and it feels adequate but not fluid compared to a 3.5L Toyota or Honda V6 or even Subie's own EZ-series boxer 6s.

The automakers are still on the downsizing trend despite Trump wanting to give the finger to CA and CAFE. Small engines will be the norm in cars and SUVs/CUVs. I think Ford was onto something with the 3.5L EB in the latest Expedition/Navigator even though GM is offering a big 6-liter class V8 in the Yukon/Escalade and Suburban/Tahoe with the RST package. GM is being bold with the new 3L I4 TGDI engine for their trucks. But I would imagine a oversquare I4 with burly mains would be a much more durable engine than a small, compact 1.5-2L class one. It sounds a lot like the monster of a engine Porsche used in the 944.

The wife's 640hp 6.2l supercharged cts-v gets ~21mpg if you can keep your foot out of it. And ~24mpg on hwy. From what i hear 2019 will be the last year for V8 CTS-V. Like old airplanes the young kids are not so interested in Hot rods as we were in the past. The Visceral thrill and inherent risk is replaced by virtual reality and zero risk.

GM and Ford partnered on the 10 speed maybe they will partner on a modular "Power Unit" for everything that's not luxury or high performance.

I don't long for them. I have 2 of them. One in the 2018 Grand Cherokee (360 HP, 5.7L) and one in the 2016 Charger Scat Pack (485 HP, 6.4L)

Originally Posted by Cujet
I own a 2009 F150 with the 5.4L V8 (with a 5 star tune) (the tune was required to get the throttle to open fully and respond properly to commands)
I also have a 2011 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and now a 2018 with the 2.7 Ecoboost. All are SuperCrew 4x4 with 3.55 rear gears. The 2018 has the 10 speed automatic.

Without a doubt, the V8 is the most enjoyable to drive. It's not even close, and it has NOTHING to do with the sound. All of them have stock intake and exhausts. Ya really can't hear much of anything. Especially when listening to music or books.

It's the utterly instant response and instant acceleration, the wonderful part throttle feel and part throttle acceleration, and the complete lack of drama that makes the V8 so pleasant. Even my wife, who is not a car enthusiast, refuses to drive the 2011 Ecoboost and she feels that it's "annoying" to drive.

The 5.0 F150's rev a bit higher than a tuned 5.4, but otherwise feel very similar.

I love the turbocharged engines, but I concede the V8 is much more pleasant.

So you tune the 5.4 to run right and like it, Have you considered tuning the 2011 to run right so you like it? turbo'ed engines usually respond very well to tuning.

I don't think they will make a comeback, but I plan to own at least one for as long as it is feasible. I really don't like turbo 4s. Turbo 6 can be good, but I prefer the powerband of an NA engine over the probably more useful torque of a modern turbo engine. I kind of liked the old turbos that felt like a 2 stroke.

Hmmm. You can still get a decently sized gas engine with the F150/ 1500. Go up to the F250/ 2500 and I am betting a larger gas engine is offered. Sales wise, I am sure the V6 options are doing great (hence this thread), but who knows.

Dodge is the only one with a V8 in a 4 door car. I hope that doesn't go away anytime soon. Last I knew, you can only get the AWD option with the V6 now so one might as well get something else. I hope this isn't a preview to upcoming attractions.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Go up to the F250/ 2500 and I am betting a larger gas engine is offered. .

A lot of fleets are buying the gas option of the F250 these days - no fuss with DEF.

Dodge is the only one with a V8 in a 4 door car. I hope that doesn't go away anytime soon. Last I knew, you can only get the AWD option with the V6 now so one might as well get something else. I hope this isn't a preview to upcoming attractions.

Cadillac CTS-V has supercharged 6.2L and 4 doors

as well as...

Audi A8
BMW M5
Chrysler 300
Genesis G90
Jaguar XJR
Kia K900
Benz S550
Porsche Panamera

Originally Posted by DriveHard

Cadillac CTS-V has supercharged 6.2L and 4 doors

as well as...

Audi A8
BMW M5
Chrysler 300
Genesis G90
Jaguar XJR
Kia K900
Benz S550
Porsche Panamera

Never really was a fan, but I recently read an article that they were going to discontinue the CTS-V.

I'm not interested in anything else that you mentioned. Not even the 300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back