My boss killed his jeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He pulls his 89 wrangler behind his motorhome when they go camping. It appears that he left the jeep in 1st gear and drove off pulling the jeep.

He got up to 60 mph and looked back to see the jeep billowing smoke and oil.

It threw a rod out the oil pan. It also bulged the valve cover and blew the PVC valve,vent and oil fill cap off.

My assumption is that the HV oil pump I put in it a few years ago was pumping so much oil to the top that it didn't have time to drain past the pushrods and back into the pan considering that it was turning 12000 rpm.

Now we are looking for a grand cherokee to donate it's fuel injected 4.0 and related parts so that we can get rid of the carbureted 258 stuff.

He obviously needs to make a checklist that he reviews each time before he takes off in his RV.

Shame you're not here in rust world, XJs like mine seem to falling apart every day! I have to admit, that's the first engine I ever heard of that blew up WHEN IT WASN'T EVEN RUNNING! That's not easy to do!

Last edited:
It's a shame people don't use the parking brake for what it's for.

Every [censored] time someone else drove my older car(s) or a 'shop' had it for anything, instead of using the parking brake when they parked it, they'd leave it in 1st gear. Every [censored] time I got in to drive away, it would lurch forward when I started it ! This was before they started putting 'interlocks' in where you had to push the clutch in to start.

Even the harmonic balancer came apart! Got the block too.

IMG_20180924_133920.jpg

IMG_20180924_133825.jpg

IMG_20180924_133643.jpg

IMG_20180924_133648.jpg

Originally Posted by Reddy45
He obviously needs to make a checklist that he reviews each time before he takes off in his RV.

Agreed, like a take-off or landing checklist pilots do. With lots on your mind these days it's easy to forget stuff.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Every [censored] time someone else drove my older car(s) or a 'shop' had it for anything, instead of using the parking brake when they parked it, they'd leave it in 1st gear. Every [censored] time I got in to drive away, it would lurch forward when I started it ! This was before they started putting 'interlocks' in where you had to push the clutch in to start.

I want to know more about this, did you leave it in neutral with the e-brake on? Because you're not supposed to do that, either.

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
Sounds like a good time to put in a Golen 4.6L stroker

Too bad we no longer have a 258 crank for a core. LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino

I want to know more about this, did you leave it in neutral with the e-brake on? Because you're not supposed to do that, either.

I've parked stick-shift cars in first gear since 1974. I learned (and re-learned) that lesson when parking in the winter with below-freezing temperatures. Brake shoes frozen to the drums are no fun.

Originally Posted by eljefino

I always parked in 1st or reverse with the parking brake on. In wet freezing weather no parking brake or you will be parked till spring!

My first car was a manual and the parking brake did not work. I live on a hill, so I would turn the wheels, roll back and have the tread against the curb and leave it in first. I'm pretty sure I've seen manual transmission vehicles that have no parking brake at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back