Why is body/paint work so expensive these days?

I've been seeing people post prices of $5K to $10K to reshoot a vehicle with the same factory color. I realize EPA regs have made paints and body work more restrictive, but $10K to redo a factory paint job? That's just crazy! I can see why insurance companies are more quick than ever to total a vehicle that's been in an accident. I wonder what's made the cost of paint jobs and body work so ridiculously high?

Wild guess, but if you want it done right... it'll cost.

OEM's are able to buy in bulk and optimize their floor so as to do it very cheaply. Oh wait... not too many people complain about how cheap cars are today, maybe it's more like, everything is expensive today.

just a few reasons.....

1. Its a ton (at least a week and half if no additional body work gets done) of labor to do correctly
- and an expensive endeavor to license insure and run- especially in California with their AQMD restrictions.

2. in Cali - you cannot build a new booth anymore - kind of like radio stations - all the licenses have been issued so there is a market demand for the booth time.

2. The paint products themselves aren't on shelves anymore and must be specially ordered and mixed each run. No one stocks anything anymore.

UD

Labour is more expensive that is used to be, environmental regulations actually exist now and inflation. You can still get a poor quality single stage paint job for cheap especially if you handle all the prep.

Originally Posted by JamesBond
It's because a lot of body work involves insurance, and when insurance is involved there is fraud and waste. Ever been to the doctor/hospital?

BINGO!!!

Bodyshops collect thousands from insurance companies for jobs that take a few days, sometimes less. They can do several insurance jobs in much less time than it takes to strip, prep, paint, wet-sand and buff one single car. Materials are only a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
EPA.

Paint Manf. have to formulate lower volativity paints because of EPA regs.

+1

The days of going down to the paint shop and buying a $23 gallon acrylic lacquer or enamel and $10 a gallon reducer are long gone. Materials for a nice base/clear job can go well over 1K+ labor. Shop cost are astronomical.
That's why I spray for a few dealers, they fix it and mask it, I just check it over and spray it at night, they pay well and let me use the booth when I need it.

Originally Posted by funflyer
It's because a lot of body work involves insurance, and when insurance is involved there is fraud and waste. Ever been to the doctor/hospital?

BINGO!!!

Bodyshops collect thousands from insurance companies for jobs that take a few days, sometimes less. They can do several insurance jobs in much less time than it takes to strip, prep, paint, wet-sand and buff one single car. Materials are only a fraction of the cost.

I'd suggest that you actually get to know a few body shop owners before making this ridiculous assertion.
Insurance companies try to cheap out on everything from parts to labor hours to labor pay rates.
Body shops are forced to search for used parts and negotiate with the paying insurer at every step in the repair process.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
And what's so ironic,is that I've never seen good bodywork. It always looks shoddy and sloppy.
I'll bet you have but it is indistinguishable. Not every body shop forgets to buff the paint so resprays are obvious.

Yep, just like healthcare. The real bodyshop customers now aren't the vehicle owners, they're the insurance companies.

The insurance companies are easier to deal with, with pre-negotiated rates, steer a steady stream of customers to shops, and won't reneged on a bill, even if it's a something equivalent to a $1000 enema.

Most owners care most about minimizing hassle and downtime, not a flawless concours quality job.

Shops that do production work for the insurance companies have a steady stream of business, in/out like a factory.

Independent shops that don't get the steady referrals are finding it tough going, and sell out to big chains like Caliber.

After I got hit a couple years ago, I had a good conversation with the second generation owner of a high end shop that had been doing good work for 50 years. Despite have a good reputation, they had to sell out after losing their referral business from the lux dealers; car nuts alone couldn't sustain the business and allow it to compete. The owner (co-founder's son) stayed on as manager for a short period, but he, too, eventually jumped to the insurance side.

The worst part of it is, even if one is willing to pay for good work, it isn't guaranteed. The old guys with the experience and skill are also retiring.

As is usual when rants about high prices being charged by the service companies: Open up your own shop and then lower the price to where you think it ought to be. Give it a year or two and let us know how it has worked out for you.

If you are correct, you will corner the market and be rich beyond anything you can imagine.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
As is usual when rants about high prices being charged by the service companies: Open up your own shop and then lower the price to where you think it ought to be. Give it a year or two and let us know how it has worked out for you.

If you are correct, you will corner the market and be rich beyond anything you can imagine.

I can't tell you how many times I get answers like this. They are worthless...why would anyone do this to find an answer to their question? Just plain dumb...

My son got in a tiny fender bender … first she got the ticket but somehow found "witnesses", a lawyer, and chiropractor …
Then they came by and wrote him a ticket …
All 3 had to be bilingual since she was not a US citizen …
This contact was so mild I could do more with my work boot …
End result was all five in her van were paid for medical injuries and stress counseling …
When I complained to insurance … they said this happens everyday … your "profile" would not fare well in court
That vehicle was never repaired so hard to blame the body shops for that fraud …

Originally Posted by 4WD
My son got in a tiny fender bender … first she got the ticket but somehow found "witnesses", a lawyer, and chiropractor …
Then they came by and wrote him a ticket …
All 3 had to be bilingual since she was not a US citizen …
This contact was so mild I could do more with my work boot …
End result was all five in her van were paid for medical injuries and stress counseling …
When I complained to insurance … they said this happens everyday … your "profile" would not fare well in court
That vehicle was never repaired so hard to blame the body shops for that fraud …

...and I suppose nothing was done to the illegal for being here illegally?

Back