US Natural Gas to be exported to the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who really cares of the idiotic brits. Loosers who want to live under the shadow of America when they are unbrically tied to fortunes and misfortunes of Europe. Brexit is and will always be a catastrophy and buying gas from Russia makes lot of sense for Europe from an economic standpoint.

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
Who really cares of the idiotic brits. Loosers who want to live under the shadow of America when they are unbrically tied to fortunes and misfortunes of Europe. Brexit is and will always be a catastrophy and buying gas from Russia makes lot of sense for Europe from an economic standpoint.

Sorry MaximaGuy, I just can't help myself...

It's, 'Who really cares IF...', not '...cares OF...'.

Brits is a proper noun so should always start with a capital 'B'.

Your first sentence is a question so should end in a question mark. In case you don't know, they look like this '?'.

What exactly are 'loosers'? Are these people who only ever wear loose clothing? Or do you mean losers? If you don't know what a 'loser' is then might I suggest you invest in a mirror?

Maybe 'loosers' live 'under' the shadow of America but I think you'll find that 'losers' live 'in' the shadow of whatever (or not as the case maybe).

I am quite sure we Brits are tied to many things but I seriously doubt we are 'unbrically' tied to anything. It's not a real word is it? I think you were trying to sound clever by using the word 'umbilically' but you got it complete wrong and instead sound a bit thick.

Might I suggest that rather than saying we are 'tied to (insert missing 'the' here) fortunes and misfortunes of Europe', just say we are 'tied to Europe' (because fortunes and misfortunes nullify each other).

I could go on but it's cruel to mock the afflicted so I won't. I think I've made my point though. Please feel free to offer a cutting riposte but do be aware I'll taunt you a second time and you really won't like it!

Regarding the original post, I can't see what's wrong with the US exporting surplus natural gas to the UK. After all, we've been exporting our surplus gasoline to the US for donkey's years and no one objected.

Originally Posted by philipp10
It's not your gas, it's the shareholders. If you don't like more expensive gas, offset it by purchasing gas company or pipeline company stock. Can't have it both ways.

Well, if someone else has got it, you can't have it at all.

That's the way appropriation of natural resources by private enterprises works.

I'm not clear (knee jerk eco-bashing aside) if the objectors to this want the US government to intervene to block the deal in the National lnterest?

Doesn't sound like the American Way.

Originally Posted by Shannow
http://naturalgasnow.org/importing-shale-gas-to-lancashire-or-coals-to-newcastle/
Can't frack in Lancashire, but can build a port and processing facility, LNG tankers, refrigeration facilities, regassification facilities and transport it half way around the globe from Louisiana...all for the environment ???

Different. Ones got a potentially serious local impact (as well as a global one), the other, the local impact is the other side of the world. (as well as maybe a slightly bigger global one).

Oz Federal Government are about to pass legislation that the only people who can present counter points to a proposal are those with a dog in the fight, rather than the people who drive 200 miles in a BMW to present and argument, and don't even stay to listen to the evidence presented by others that cause these weird outcomes.

So if this gas was coming from Australia, Lancastrians wouldn't be allowed to object, even if they could drive the BMW's that far, because they aren't local so its none of their business.

Incidentally, I'm no big fan of BMW's, but if you had to pick a vehicle for environmental destruction derby demonising, wouldn't, say a 200-ish HP 4X4 ute be a better target?

I don't have either, so no horse in that race
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Ducked
So if this gas was coming from Australia, Lancastrians wouldn't be allowed to object, even if they could drive the BMW's that far, because they aren't local so its none of their business.

Incidentally, I'm no big fan of BMW's, but if you had to pick a vehicle for environmental destruction derby demonising, wouldn't, say a 200-ish HP 4X4 ute be a better target?

I don't have either, so no horse in that race
smile.gif

It's the elitism of the group of people to come into our community meetings (specifically via the planning authorities for local impact), yes, in their BMWs, implying that they have decent stable work, presenting a "no" case (oft with plenty of incorrect "facts" or blatant untruths), then walk away without offering the courtesy of hearing the other speakers.

Basically need the SUV to live locally, as all our road funding goes to the three major population centres that the BMWs come from. (Colorado gets 9.5l/100km, Captiva 9.2, so no environmental destruction derby occurring).

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Rand
I think its political. Get Europe off Russian gas.
Put more pressure on Putin.

I agree.

There is not the capacity to land enough gas to compensate Europe for losing Russia as a supplier. Russia has got Europe by the Bollocks.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
My biggest beef as a US resident is that this will make gas cheaper in UK yet more expensive in US. I want my cheap gas and UK's price spike is not my business.

Can't they just get their cheap gas from Qatar?

Hi PB
LNG is just another commodity on the world market and will just go wherever the cash is. Capitalism at work.

Originally Posted by Tikka
Originally Posted by PandaBear
My biggest beef as a US resident is that this will make gas cheaper in UK yet more expensive in US. I want my cheap gas and UK's price spike is not my business.

Can't they just get their cheap gas from Qatar?

Hi PB
LNG is just another commodity on the world market and will just go wherever the cash is. Capitalism at work.

Oz is living it...and went in with open eyes.
https://grattan.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/189_getting_gas_right_report.pdf
Some commentary on US there as well.

Basically need the SUV to live locally, as all our road funding goes to the three major population centres that the BMWs come from. (Colorado gets 9.5l/100km, Captiva 9.2, so no environmental destruction derby occurring).

Impressive numbers from such a big vehicle. I get about 7. Not that good for a sub-compact sub-litre, but then its probably pretty knackered, especially the carb.

OTOH its been providing habitat for several species of insects, reptiles and amphibians, though I drained the water-filled sills when I got back so it probably no longer qualifies as a wetland reserve.

It looks like gasoline/diesel are on the slow descent as electric and soon, autonomous, vehicles take over.We will need more power generation for that so look for a burgeoning of windmills and Natural gas turbines coming on line. Liquid Natural gas exports could drive prices up but only until we start competing with other nations that have excess gas and no present means to liquify it. I estimate that other nations will soon join the fracking revolution in tight rock formations. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by Tikka
Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Rand
I think its political. Get Europe off Russian gas.
Put more pressure on Putin.

I agree.

There is not the capacity to land enough gas to compensate Europe for losing Russia as a supplier. Russia has got Europe by the Bollocks.

I buy my cornflakes from Aldi. Why? Because Aldi cornflakes are way, way cheaper than everyone else's.

Does that mean Aldi have me by the bollocks? I don't think so. If Aldi, out of spite, cut off their supplies of cornflakes, I would try and source them elsewhere. If I couldn't immediately secure an adequate supply, I'd buy Weetabix instead. Either way would certainly be more expensive but I'd survive. Also if push came to shove I could skip breakfast altogether. Past generations did and the world didn't come to an end.

Oh, and spare a thought for Aldi in these proceedings. If they don't sell their cornflakes to me, who exactly do they sell them to? Even today, lots of people wouldn't be seen dead in an Aldi store! So maybe I have Aldi by the bollocks in equal measure. What do you think?

Hi
What is the alternative to Russian Gas? If it is as easy as choosing breakfast cereal please educate me. I do not mean to sound snotty I genuinely wish to know.
Tikka.

I have to laugh when someone suggests in Vermont that we should not be using natural gas. The alternative here is either electricity, which burns natural gas at lower efficiency, or continued use of oil, which is more environmentally harmful.

They seem to think that if we don't burn the gas here, it won't be produced. The reality is, it will be produced, and exported. And somewhere else will get the economic benefit.

There's an ENORMOUS global market for gas, LPG & NLG. Libya, Algeria, Qatar & other Emirates & Indonesia are all major exporters. If The Sovs ever did turn the taps off, I'd fully expect even our US ally would step in to help us out (I seem to recall Ineos Grangemouth already buy in US shale gas for ethylene cracking?). When the Arabs applied the oil embargo in the early 70's, my old oil refinery in Milford Haven received cargoes of all sorts of strange crude oils from the US for processing.

Turning off the Russian gas taps would cause chaos & a massive spike in prices but this is nothing we haven't seen before in the world's energy markets & dealt with. Sheikh Yamani & OPEC thought they had the West by the bollocks. Arthur Scargill thought he had Margaret Thatcher in a similar way. Both found out the hard way that markets react
remarkably quickly to provide alternative sources of energy.

And although we're taking about gas, just remember that gas for domestic heating is Europe can be easily substituted for kerosene & gasoil. Last time I looked, most German homes had facilities to both store & burn heating oil. Getting more oil right now is easy. If things ever got hot, I pretty sure we could ask the Iranians for a few VLCCs of crude and they would be only too happy to oblige!

The thing to remember is that us taking Russian gas is a mutually beneficial thing. It's incredibly cheap for us while Ivan earns a lot of hard currency from gas shipments. Yes, gas COULD theoretically could be used as a strategic weapon but so can lobbing a few Trident missiles at Moscow. Both courses of action are immensely risky which is why they're unlikely to ever happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back