Need help High Performance Motorcycle oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the deal we run two 1441cc Kawasaki zx14r drag bikes. Currently we run Amsoil 20w 50 with great success. However our dilemma is cost. Each bike takes almost 5 quarts and we change out the oil after about 8-track passes and it gets expensive. Reason the oil is changed out so often because in drag racing you hammer the clutch off the starting line and you end up getting a lot of clutch debris in the oil which can clog up the oil pick up tube. So my question is what oils out there do you feel can handle being shared as an engine and gearbox lubricant not break down but not break the bank either. If I have to spend the money then that's what I have to do to protect the life of the engine but I just wanted to know what other reliable options are out there with better pricing.

What's the possibility of constructing a filtering system for the oil, and reusing it? If all that is wrong with the oil is clutch contamination (dirt), and the oil itself is still good, seems it would save you cash. You can throw out the oil only when it's deemed unserviceable.

Have you looked into Shell Rotella T6? it is a popular oil and is wet clutch approved.That being said its only a 40 weight oil.Not sure if you have to have 50 wt or not. Redline makes awesome Motorcycle oils but their price is comparable to Amsoil. Schaeffer has a 20W-50 oil that is designed for harleys that is wet clutch approved that a lot of people have great luck with. Not sure if they will help you with saving any money though.

The cost of oil VS the rest of the costs to run the bike? I am trying to figure it out.

Remember that not all racers are awash with sponsor cash. I know a few who depend on Coinstar to make it to race day.

Filtering is not really an option because the clutch is essentially in the sump. Dumps it right down in there. Only way to get it out is to drain the particles that can't pass the screen.

This is a tough one. You could experiment with cheaper oil. But dropping an engine sounds more expensive than oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back