SMA - Krown previously, Fluid Film Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
The residue in the bottom of the can is avoided with a good shaking or stirring when opened. Thinking solids fall out of suspension when the cans sit for awhile. I use Lloyd's products AD3000 which is very similar to Fluidfilm and much cheaper.

There are better products that last longer, and provide better protection. For the amount of time and effort that goes into the job, I went with a better product. It costs more to use something better, but my time is worth more than the additional cost of a better product.

Millions of cars make it to the junkyard without it after leading long lives with the corrosion protection that comes from the factory.
Don't you think if that wasn't the case, they would do something about it ?

Originally Posted by Shannow
Millions of cars make it to the junkyard without it after leading long lives with the corrosion protection that comes from the factory.

LOL

Not around here they don't. I've seen plenty of cars make an early retirement from rust. Plus it's a safety hazard.

Originally Posted by T-Keith

LOL

Not around here they don't. I've seen plenty of cars make an early retirement from rust. Plus it's a safety hazard.

What sort of percentage do you reckon don't make it ?

10-15% ? …. 85-90%

Here where they salt the roads, many vehicles are retired prematurely due to corrosion. Not from rusty doors, quarters and fenders, but from rotten suspension components, unibody structural members and even expensive and complex brake systems that corrode and fail.

The mist from the brine gets into every nook and cranny and starts its devious work and never sleeps once it begins.

I have used fluid film every fall with stellar results.

Not up here they don't. The two biggest things that take vehicles to the wreckers:
- Rust
- Accidents

I'd argue it is even worse out east due to the increased moisture and salt year round. Out west is a lot better; lower BC is a far more temperate climate and Alberta is really dry and they don't use salt. Not sure about Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Ontario uses insane amounts of road salt, the maritimes, IIRC, use a salt/sand blend.

The difference between a vehicle that gets treated and one that doesn't is significant. Our 2005 Ford E-250 work van is close to being wreckered right now, it was sprayed a couple of times, but not early on and the salt got to it. Rockers are GONE.

OVERKILL, that's local climate and road salting...because it's a regional phenomenon, it shouldn't be pressed to the average BITOGer as the "norm"

please don't scare the general BITOG populace into thinking that for the drivers of 99% of the vehicles on American (or their close friends) they need to do anything other than what the OEM provides to get to a reasonable lifetime before they happily move on to their next drive, or happily take the wrecker's fee.

One would surmise that icy roads take their ravaging toll on vehicle life through accidents, and some (maybe 33.674%...could even be 33.678%) of the vehicles that WOULD have rusted out are retired earlier than that voracious salt and it's appetite.

OVERKILL, that's local climate and road salting...because it's a regional phenomenon, it shouldn't be pressed to the average BITOGer as the "norm"

please don't scare the general BITOG populace into thinking that for the drivers of 99% of the vehicles on American (or their close friends) they need to do anything other than what the OEM provides to get to a reasonable lifetime before they happily move on to their next drive, or happily take the wrecker's fee.

One would surmise that icy roads take their ravaging toll on vehicle life through accidents, and some (maybe 33.674%...could even be 33.678%) of the vehicles that WOULD have rusted out are retired earlier than that voracious salt and it's appetite.

I don't believe he is doing any of those things? Like he mentioned, some areas are worse than others but it ultimately boils down to the owners position on it.

Imo, if you live in those salted/brined road areas, depending on the factory rust proofing isn't going to get you very far. Most dealers up here also offer a rustproofing pkg after you have purchased the vehicle but it isn't much nor will it protect like a rust proofing oil spray will. It's way pricey as well and is basically some dude with a spray can of this product who sprays in a few areas and says there, you are now protected.

Live in the Rust Belt for 5 years which affects some of the most heavily populated areas of the US/Canada.
wink.gif

As for scaring the BITOG populous this just makes you look like a big baby because you couldn't have a lively discussion when someone questioned you on something they didn't agree with. Are you going to run around BITOG stocking my threads with this kind of nonsense now?
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Have you watched SMA's videos before? The amount of rust and corrosion on EVERYTHING is CRAZY to me - even cars just a few years old look worse than my 1977 Suburban I owned for a while!

Originally Posted by demarpaint
There are better products that last longer, and provide better protection. For the amount of time and effort that goes into the job, I went with a better product. It costs more to use something better, but my time is worth more than the additional cost of a better product.

I think he chose Fluid Film because he has experience with it in the past before using Krown, and he mentions in the video he didn't have time to get up to Krown which isn't around the corner from him. I would agree though there are many products better than Fluid Film out there for this type of application. Although Fluid Film is better than nothing, especially with him being in the rust belt.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Not up here they don't. The two biggest things that take vehicles to the wreckers:
- Rust
- Accidents

I'd argue it is even worse out east due to the increased moisture and salt year round. Out west is a lot better; lower BC is a far more temperate climate and Alberta is really dry and they don't use salt. Not sure about Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Ontario uses insane amounts of road salt, the maritimes, IIRC, use a salt/sand blend.

The difference between a vehicle that gets treated and one that doesn't is significant. Our 2005 Ford E-250 work van is close to being wreckered right now, it was sprayed a couple of times, but not early on and the salt got to it. Rockers are GONE.
Salt is not used as extensively here in Winnipeg as it is in southern Ontario and Quebec. The winter temperatures are too cold for the salt to melt ice and snow. However, salt is still added to the sand spread on the roads to help minimize the sand clumping due to frozen moisture content. The salt really takes its toll during thaws, on vehicles that are parked indoors, and during the Spring, when the temperatures are around freezing and the roads are filled with salty slush.

So even here, which is not considered part of the true rust belt, I'd say rust takes more vehicles off the road than anything else. I'm usually the last owner of a vehicle - the last two we sent to the boneyard were due to rust.

They don't call it Winterpeg for no good reason. I had relatives that used to live in Leaf Rapids (North of Thompson) as they worked in the mines up there, and they would plug in their cars while in the shopping mall or lock the keys in the car with it running to make sure they could get back home. You know it's cold when salt won't melt snow.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I went the other way; used fluid film last year and was sorely disappointed with it. By the first snow, it had all washed away. This year I got krown.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Have you watched SMA's videos before? The amount of rust and corrosion on EVERYTHING is CRAZY to me - even cars just a few years old look worse than my 1977 Suburban I owned for a while!

He just did a broken exhaust stud on a F-250 (the vid came out yesterday). That truck is rust free and mint compared to my F-350.

Everything just turns to rot here if not treated. There's a bunch of 100K mile vehicles at the junkyard that were just run in the salt and never sprayed.

Vehicles in NY don't wear out they rust out or get wrecked.

I went the other way; used fluid film last year and was sorely disappointed with it. By the first snow, it had all washed away. This year I got krown.

Originally Posted by dogememe

He just did a broken exhaust stud on a F-250 (the vid came out yesterday). That truck is rust free and mint compared to my F-350.

Everything just turns to rot here if not treated. There's a bunch of 100K mile vehicles at the junkyard that were just run in the salt and never sprayed.

Vehicles in NY don't wear out they rust out or get wrecked.

LOL!!!!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by irv

I don't believe he is doing any of those things? Like he mentioned, some areas are worse than others but it ultimately boils down to the owners position on it.

Imo, if you live in those salted/brined road areas, depending on the factory rust proofing isn't going to get you very far. Most dealers up here also offer a rustproofing pkg after you have purchased the vehicle but it isn't much nor will it protect like a rust proofing oil spray will. It's way pricey as well and is basically some dude with a spray can of this product who sprays in a few areas and says there, you are now protected.

He was making a not-so-subtle dig at the exchange that transpired between he and StevieC over the weekend.

Oil spray rustproofing works, it's has been beaten to death here countless times. Is it needed? I would say no. OEM rustproofing is usually good for about 10 to 15 years, like the guy in the video says. But in the meantime, it can negatively affect any sort of repairs with broken bits due to rust, adding to the cost and downtime. And if the rust weakens a structural component, like a strut tower, a unibody rail or rocker panel, the vehicle will usually be scrapped prematurely.

I know many are not convinced, even if they live in the rust belt, which is fine by me. Everyone does what they think is best for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back