Field repair by the Mississippi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of our goals on our recent Minnesota bike trip was to cycle those parts of the Paul Bunyan and Heartland trails we had not done previously. On Day 1 we rode from Walker to Cass Lake on the Heartland Trail, and around Pike Bay (near Cass Lake) on the Mi-Gi-Zi Trail. Delightful!

That left only the short Paul Bunyan Trail extension from Baxter down to the Crow Wing State Park. Day 2 was also a great ride, but on the way back, after crossing under the bridge and starting the climb back to grade, I downshifted into my 22-tooth front chain ring and promptly lost the chain. For a few seconds I thought the lower limit screw wasn't adjusted properly, and that the chain had come off, but no, it was broken.

Fortunately, I was carrying a chain-breaking tool and a replacement Quick-Link.

Now here's the embarrassing part: I got the chain back together quickly, but realized that I'd missed running it through the front derailleur.
33.gif
(The bike was sitting upside-down.) I've always found the Quick-Links difficult to separate, but found a way. I cut a short piece of spare shifter cable off, passed both ends through on either side of the link, and twisted them together with Vise-Grips. The link popped apart, I ran the chain through the derailleur, and we were on our way. Phew!

It's always interesting deciding what to carry for tools. Locally I always take a patch kit, tire irons, and pump for a flat. For something longer, I'll take more. Glad I had the chain repair stuff on this occasion - we were still perhaps 7 km out from the parking lot at this point.

IMG_7566 - Copy.JPG

IMG_7567 - Copy.JPG

I carry spare Powerlinks and Wolftooth makes this excellent little pair of pliers that actually stores Quicklinks in the handles. I love Macguyver repairs on the trail. Only time I've ever walked back in my life was the time I broke my Stumpjumper frame.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I always liked the SRAM Powerlink, easy to break with your bare hands.
"Oh, easy for Leonardo" - Dylan Thomas
lol.gif
Too hard for a simple fellow like me.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
I carry spare Powerlinks and Wolftooth makes this excellent little pair of pliers that actually stores Quicklinks in the handles. I love Macguyver repairs on the trail. Only time I've ever walked back in my life was the time I broke my Stumpjumper frame.
I will look for that tool! Thanks for the tip. Frame repair ... yes, I have yet to see a compact all-in-one bike tool that includes an arc welder.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
I would be eating my shoes with vultures circling.

My dear wife was with me ... it was more of a pride thing!

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/tools/products/pack-pliers

These are them. Worth twice the price when you need em.

Nice tool! I'll look for this, and alternatives - a good excuse to hit my local bike shops.

There is a YouTube video of an Aussie fellow pinching a link and moving thumb and forefinger in opposite directions, but I've never been successful in making that work. The wire and locking pliers method works, but is not ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back